Replacing Rear Cassette

Great Eastern wrote on 27/12/2006 11:02 +0100:
> Rob Morley wrote:
>> That's a low-quality Chinese brand and AFAIK they only make
>> freewheels, not cassettes.

> So I'd need a freewheel remover to remove the whole lot? then replace
> with a better brand version?

Yes, have a look at the various types on the link Sheldon Brown sent
yesterday to identify the type of freewheel remover you need - splined
or notched. You can then replace with any brand of six speed freewheel.
To fit it clean and grease the threads, offer the freewheel up to the
threads and turn it anticlockwise until you feel a little click of from
the start of the two threads crossing each other, then twist it
clockwise gently to spin it on, making sure you haven't cross threaded
it. You don't need to do it up tight as the first outing will do that
for you via the pedals. One other thing is you will almost certainly
need a new chain as the old one will skip on the new sprockets.

--
Tony

"...has many omissions and contains much that is apocryphal, or at least
wildly inaccurate..."
Douglas Adams; The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Jeremy Parker wrote:
> By sod's law the new freewheel will need a different kind of remover
> from the old.

Yes, most likely. Although it'll probably fit at least 1 of the other bikes.

Thanks for all the advise, I've not had the time yet to investigate
further with the bike as I've got some other tasks to do first, I need
to get the other general bike back into use which is currently suffering
from a buckled back wheel. This is the bike I use for towing the
trailer, but its allowed time for new brake blocks.

Also my latest addition is a used and abused full suspension bike -
nothing too serious, new brakes, repair the flat tyre and give it a
respray. It was too good to let it be dumped!

I'm glad I no longer need to fit a car in that Garage as well!