replacing rim

bikingmat81

Feb 20, 2005
i'm in need of some advice on what to replace my Mavic X139 rear rim with.

I've had these rims for 3 years, and while the front rim is holding up well, the back one gave me grief all last season.

what is everyone suggestion for a replacement? do I stick with the same, or look at a different brand? I ride cross-country, and just a bit of trail riding, but I want something that is tough. I have 1.8" and 2.1" tires that I ride on, so it must be able to handle both.

thanks for any advice.
mat

davebee

Jan 15, 2004
bikingmat81 said:
i'm in need of some advice on what to replace my Mavic X139 rear rim with.

I've had these rims for 3 years, and while the front rim is holding up well, the back one gave me grief all last season.

what is everyone suggestion for a replacement? do I stick with the same, or look at a different brand? I ride cross-country, and just a bit of trail riding, but I want something that is tough. I have 1.8" and 2.1" tires that I ride on, so it must be able to handle both.

thanks for any advice.
mat

mavic X317. can also get 1.2 slicks on as well if need be.

bikingmat81

Feb 20, 2005
davebee said:
mavic X317. can also get 1.2 slicks on as well if need be.
that's what my local shop suggested too, but I was hoping to get away from Mavic if another brand is as good.

They also suggested the XM719 by Mavic, and the ACE19 by Alex. I no nothing about the later, does anyone?

davebee

Jan 15, 2004
bikingmat81 said:
that's what my local shop suggested too, but I was hoping to get away from Mavic if another brand is as good.

They also suggested the XM719 by Mavic, and the ACE19 by Alex. I no nothing about the later, does anyone?

mavic are good and worth sticking with if you can possibily bear it as they give good VFM as well. DT make some decent rims, but I wouldn't be able to recommend model. I have never come across Alex rims so cannot offer an opinion.

bikingmat81

Feb 20, 2005
davebee said:
mavic are good and worth sticking with if you can possibily bear it as they give good VFM as well. DT make some decent rims, but I wouldn't be able to recommend model. I have never come across Alex rims so cannot offer an opinion.
It's not that I don't 'like' Mavics, I do. I'm just hoping to find a few alternatives to compare them to.

My wife has a set of Alexrims on her bike (2004 specalized hardrock), and they seem to be holding up very well for her. If anyone has any opinions on them (good and bad), I'd love to hear them.

bikingmat81

Feb 20, 2005
I was also looking at finding more info about 32 vs 36 hole rims, but couldn't seem to find a thread. Does anyone know where I can find one, or shall I start one? Thanks :cool: