Replacing Shimano 105 components

ckjak

Aug 2, 2013
I am looking to replace the shimano 105 components on my cannondale road bike. I've had the bike for about 12 years. It's time to replace the derailleurs, breaks, shifters, etc. I feel like I want to upgrade to at least ultegra. I have a 9 on the rear cassette, so I think I'm going to have to replace it too (along with the chain). I am hoping that I can get a few opinions on two things, 1) what component set should I look to buy, and 2) how difficult is it to install the equipment? I really appreciate the direction and help.
-Chris

ultegra 10 speed would be nice, you will need special tools for this project, it all depends on your mechanical skills,

FWIW. If you have the budget (which may not be too far off from the cost of Ultegra components), then you may want to consider Campagnlo Athena-or-lesser components ...

Alternatively, keep the 9-speed Shimano components & just replace the current Shimano shifters with a set of either 10-speed or 11-speed Campagnolo shifters + a fresh set of cables & cable housing ...

If you opt for simply changing to a pair of Campagnolo shifters then you don't have to replace the derailleurs ... except as needed (you may simply need to replace the cables & housing on your current bike to bring it back up to snuff the way you remember it when it was new, BTW ... heck, just LUBING the current cables may do the trick!) ...

If you were to change to Campagnolo shifters then you don't have to replace the crank or chainrings or brake calipers (some of the more recent Shimano shifters supposedly have semi-proprietary brake calipers) unless you want to ...

Obviously, you can stick with a 9-speed Shimano/-compatible Cassette & Chain (i.e., replace only-as-needed) ... do you need more Cogs in the rear?

Why pay more?!?

Unless you manage to muck up the installation which would mean that you would have probably mucked up swapping the Shimano shifters for another pair then, IMO, you will find that the shifting is superior with Campagnolo shifters mated to a Shimano drivetrain compared to what can be achieved with Shimano's mechanical shifters ...

As far as the degree of difficulty, IMO, one only needs the skill level required to remove the cap from a jar of pickles AND replace the cap PLUS be able to lace up & tie a pair of shoe laces to install a set of Campagnolo shifters ...

As far as tools for changing the shifters (regardless of brand, BTW) ...

• you will need 5mm (4" shaft) Allen Wrench to remove the Shimano shifters + to disconnect & reconnect the cables to the derailleurs and brake calipers you will need a T25 wrench (4" shaft) if you are installing the current generation of Campagnolo shifters
[*] masking tape to strap the cable housing onto the handlebars
[*] scissors to cut the handlebar tape
[*] cable cutters OR really good "dikes" OR a soldering iron + some silver solder to facilitate snipping the cables to length with an average pair of dikes (Super Glue in the area where the cable is supposed to be snipped is another option ... as with soldering, do NOT do this when the cable is in the housing!!!)
  • the "wire cutter" on some pliers will be good enough to use instead of a dedicated pair of either good dikes or cable cutters

Some literacy may-or-may-not be required ... but not much since one can probably glean what one needs to know via YourTube, now ... you can't be stupid but you don't have to be a rocket scientist ... www.parktool.com + www.sheldonbrown.com are two other resources which can certainly be consulted.

Basically, a modest amount of coordination + some PATIENCE are probably the real keys to successful DIY work on one's bike regardless of the components which are involved.