Replacing Shimano 2203

I have a Trek 1000 with the standard components:

Shifters : Shimano Sora STI, 8 speed
Front Derailleur : Shimano 2203
Rear Derailleur : Shimano Tiagra
Cassette : SRAM 850 12-26, 8 speed
Crank : Bontrager Sport 52/42/30

I want to replace the Shimano 2203 front derailleur. While I have many
non-politically correct ways to describe this derailleur. let's just
say that is has performed inadequately. My local bike shop said i
could replace it with an Ultegra without replacing any other
components. After doing a little research (sorry, I am not very
component savvy) I am not sure that it will be that simple. Is it
just that easy, or will I be forced upgrade other components as well?
Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

You can replace it with Ultegra without changing anything else, but
this is probably the least likely part of your drivetrain to benefit
from any kind of upgrade. Assuming the derailleur (or some other
component) is not damaged it should only be a matter of proper
adjustment to get it to work. My girlfriend's bike has the same f-der
and same shifters and it shifts perfectly.

[email protected] wrote:
> I have a Trek 1000 with the standard components:
>
> Shifters : Shimano Sora STI, 8 speed
> Front Derailleur : Shimano 2203
> Rear Derailleur : Shimano Tiagra
> Cassette : SRAM 850 12-26, 8 speed
> Crank : Bontrager Sport 52/42/30
>
> I want to replace the Shimano 2203 front derailleur. While I have many
> non-politically correct ways to describe this derailleur. let's just
> say that is has performed inadequately. My local bike shop said i
> could replace it with an Ultegra without replacing any other
> components. After doing a little research (sorry, I am not very
> component savvy) I am not sure that it will be that simple. Is it
> just that easy, or will I be forced upgrade other components as well?
> Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dave

Unfortunately, this is a necessary replacement. I have had it to the
shop 3 time. It will work for a little while and then start sticking.
Guys at the shop recomended replacing. If I go with the Ultegra,
(which looks like it is 10 speed specific) will i need to replace the
chain with a narrow chain?

[email protected] wrote:
> I have a Trek 1000 with the standard components:
>
> Shifters : Shimano Sora STI, 8 speed
> Front Derailleur : Shimano 2203
> Rear Derailleur : Shimano Tiagra
> Cassette : SRAM 850 12-26, 8 speed
> Crank : Bontrager Sport 52/42/30
>
> I want to replace the Shimano 2203 front derailleur. While I have many
> non-politically correct ways to describe this derailleur. let's just
> say that is has performed inadequately. My local bike shop said i
> could replace it with an Ultegra without replacing any other
> components. After doing a little research (sorry, I am not very
> component savvy) I am not sure that it will be that simple. Is it
> just that easy, or will I be forced upgrade other components as well?
> Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Before you spend both money and time needlessly, try adjusting the
FD-2203 properly:

http://tinyurl.com/r3ow8

IME, properly installed and adjusted, with the proper chainline, etc.,
your FD will work fine. Note that the Shimano instructions imply you
need a specific RD, freehub, etc., but that is not true. Do, however,
pay close attention to the installation and adjustment instructions.

[email protected] wrote:
> Unfortunately, this is a necessary replacement. I have had it to the
> shop 3 time. It will work for a little while and then start sticking.

It is very UNlikely to be the FD that is the problem. Check the cables,
cable housing, the routing plate under the BB, and the front shifter
before replacing the FD.

> Guys at the shop recomended replacing.

Will they give you a 100% refund (i.e., parts and labor) if replacing
the FD alone doesn't solve the problem?

> If I go with the Ultegra,
> (which looks like it is 10 speed specific) will i need to replace the
> chain with a narrow chain?
>

> [email protected] wrote:
> > You can replace it with Ultegra without changing anything else, but
> > this is probably the least likely part of your drivetrain to benefit
> > from any kind of upgrade. Assuming the derailleur (or some other
> > component) is not damaged it should only be a matter of proper
> > adjustment to get it to work. My girlfriend's bike has the same f-der
> > and same shifters and it shifts perfectly.

You really should make 100% sure it's the derailleur before replacing
it. If the shop is convinced it's the derailleur have them show you
why. If you want to check for yourself, detach the cable from the
derailleur. Move the cage towards the big ring by hand, then release.
If the cage returns all the way to the small-ring position without
sticking your problem lies elsewhere. (If it doesn't, shoot the pivots
with some silicone spray lube or similar and do it again. If a front
derailleur gets really dirty it can stick, but that's true from Dura
Ace on down.)

If the derailleur's fine, your problem lies with the cable or possibly
the shifter. Most likely it's your cable.

If it IS the derailleur, you can probably use the Ultegra 10 without
changing the chain, but really any replacement will do. Not necessary
to pay for the Ultegra (unless you want to).

[email protected] wrote:
> I have a Trek 1000 with the standard components:
>
> Shifters : Shimano Sora STI, 8 speed
> Front Derailleur : Shimano 2203
> Rear Derailleur : Shimano Tiagra
> Cassette : SRAM 850 12-26, 8 speed
> Crank : Bontrager Sport 52/42/30
>
> I want to replace the Shimano 2203 front derailleur. While I have many
> non-politically correct ways to describe this derailleur. let's just
> say that is has performed inadequately. My local bike shop said i
> could replace it with an Ultegra without replacing any other
> components. After doing a little research (sorry, I am not very
> component savvy) I am not sure that it will be that simple. Is it
> just that easy, or will I be forced upgrade other components as well?

MUST use a shimano FD designed for a 52/42, not a 52/39, like the
ultegra, DA and 105 10s now are. If you use the FD made for a 39 middle
, longer cage, it will hit the 42 when in the 52...find a 105/9s,
ultegra FD-like 6503/for 9s...which will work fine-we have them, BTW

[email protected] wrote:
> Unfortunately, this is a necessary replacement. I have had it to the
> shop 3 time. It will work for a little while and then start sticking.
> Guys at the shop recomended replacing. If I go with the Ultegra,
> (which looks like it is 10 speed specific) will i need to replace the
> chain with a narrow chain?

SEE my post. If you use the 10s one, made for a 52/39, it will hit the
middle ring while in the large ring...the bike shop ought to know
this....