Replacing Shimano quick link

jojoma

Sep 7, 2007
The quick link on the 7900 chain is causing me some drivetrain issues, so I am going to simply remove it and replace it with two regular 7900 outer plates. I will need to use two connector pins to do this. Do you see any problems with this? Will it hold?

Thanks

Apparently I am not the only one to have issues with the 7900 chain.
FIREbike: Problem Solved...The Shimano 7900 chain issue

jojoma said:
The quick link on the 7900 chain is causing me some drivetrain issues, so I am going to simply remove it and replace it with two regular 7900 outer plates. I will need to use two connector pins to do this. Do you see any problems with this? Will it hold?

Thanks

Apparently I am not the only one to have issues with the 7900 chain.
FIREbike: Problem Solved...The Shimano 7900 chain issue
I would think that the two connector pins would hold, but why not just take two, joined links (1") from another 7900 chain (or, remnant) to reconnect the chain if you are eschewing the QuickLink instead of struggling with two, loose outer plates?

alfeng said:
I would think that the two connector pins would hold, but why not just take two, joined links (1") from another 7900 chain (or, remnant) to reconnect the chain if you are eschewing the QuickLink instead of struggling with two, loose outer plates?
I do have about four links of remnant 7900 chain, but I would still need two connector pins wouldn’t I? 1 connector pin to add the link that replaces the quick link, and one connector pin to connect the chain back together?? :confused:

jojoma said:
I do have about four links of remnant 7900 chain, but I would still need two connector pins wouldn’t I? 1 connector pin to add the link that replaces the quick link, and one connector pin to connect the chain back together?? :confused:
Well, considering that Shimano (and, others) says that you should only use the connector pin on the 9-speed chains (was the same true for their 8-speed chains, too?), and I stopped using the connector pins after the FIRST time I used a 9-speed connector pin, you may-or-may-not be able to just use an existing 10-speed chain rivet IF it is still in place.

Otherwise, you will typically need TWO connector pins ...

As far as using two, joined links vs. two separate outer plates ... I just don't think my dexterity is as high as it was when I was younger and so I just think it would be easier for me to install two joined links rather than separate plates ... that's just me -- I never recommend a methodology I wouldn't employ.