Replacing Spokes on freewheel side

bktourer1

Guest
Is it possible to replace spokes on the freewheel side without removing
the freewhweel?
I have a kevlar emergency spoke for shortterm use, but don't wish to
carry a freewheel tool and additional wrenches every tour .

Ed

bktourer1 said:
Is it possible to replace spokes on the freewheel side without removing
the freewhweel?
I have a kevlar emergency spoke for shortterm use, but don't wish to
carry a freewheel tool and additional wrenches every tour .

Ed
I don't see how it would be possible.
Are you using freewheel or cassette?
If cassette, check out the Stein Mini Lock Ring Tool:
http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/stein-mini-lock/index.html

bktourer1 wrote:

> Is it possible to replace spokes on the freewheel side without removing
> the freewhweel?
> I have a kevlar emergency spoke for shortterm use, but don't wish to
> carry a freewheel tool and additional wrenches every tour .
>
> Ed

They always break on the freewheel side.

That said, I haven't had a broken spoke in years, probably 80k miles ago,
using Huffy MTB wheels, and they carry a heavy load pretty regularly, being
used in grocery runs.

I suspect they somehow managed to match hub and spoke so there's no overdrilling
and the spoke head is properly supported, and hence there's no flexing at the
head at all to fatigue the thing to death.

If you can figure out the secret, that's better than a spare spoke even.

--
Ron Hardin
[email protected]

notice title "replacing spokes on freewheeel side"
daveornee wrote:
> bktourer1 Wrote:
> > Is it possible to replace spokes on the freewheel side without removing
> > the freewhweel?
> > I have a kevlar emergency spoke for shortterm use, but don't wish to
> > carry a freewheel tool and additional wrenches every tour .
> >
> > Ed

> I don't see how it would be possible.
> Are you using freewheel or cassette?
> If cassette, check out the Stein Mini Lock Ring Tool:
> http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/stein-mini-lock/index.html
>

> --
> daveornee

"bktourer1" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Is it possible to replace spokes on the freewheel side without removing
> the freewhweel?
> I have a kevlar emergency spoke for shortterm use, but don't wish to
> carry a freewheel tool and additional wrenches every tour .
>
> Ed

I remember making 'dog leg' spokes from longer spokes with the head cut off.

These could be fed through the flange, if I was lucky, without removing the
cassette or freewheel. Only ever pulling from inside the flange, of course.

I never used one!

Skippy
E&OE

"Skippy" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> "bktourer1" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Is it possible to replace spokes on the freewheel side without
>> removing the freewhweel?
>> I have a kevlar emergency spoke for shortterm use, but don't wish to
>> carry a freewheel tool and additional wrenches every tour .
>>
>> Ed
>>

> I remember making 'dog leg' spokes from longer spokes with the head
> cut off.
>
> These could be fed through the flange, if I was lucky, without
> removing the cassette or freewheel. Only ever pulling from inside the
> flange, of course.
>
> I never used one!
>
> Skippy
> E&OE

A description of making and using a dog leg spoke can be found here...

http://tinyurl.com/geqop

Rich B.