replacing tektro aquilas with bb5's or bb7's, got a question

gt3413

Apr 28, 2006
My current brakes (tektro aquilas) have the 160 mm rotors. If I buy BB5's or BB7's will they need to be the 160 mm rotors also? Or, could I get the larger rotors, say 185mm or 203mm? Looks like I can pick some up pretty cheap on ebay.
Also, will they work with my current combo brake lever/shifters that are on the bike now (shimano v-brakes) Thanks, Greg

gt3413 said:
My current brakes (tektro aquilas) have the 160 mm rotors. If I buy BB5's or BB7's will they need to be the 160 mm rotors also? Or, could I get the larger rotors, say 185mm or 203mm? Looks like I can pick some up pretty cheap on ebay.
Also, will they work with my current combo brake lever/shifters that are on the bike now (shimano v-brakes) Thanks, Greg
I think the New BB7 will come with caliber and 7" Front Rotor & 6" Rear Rotor. If you buy complete set from LBS, they should be okay.

They will work with the shimano lever. Because i am also using BB7 and Shimano Deore LX shifter and Lever.

Cool, I'm buying the bb5's or 7's hopefully tomorrow. I'll let you know how it comes out. Thanks, Greg

gt3413 said:
from what i have researched you could go the larger disk so long as the adapter is the right one. 185 adapter for 185 disk 203mm and so on. if you are buying the caliper with no adapter then the adapter on the tektro's should fit on the avids but that will only support a 160mm disk.

i am also looking at getting the bb5s or 7's. let me know how they go. thanx.

I'll let you know. They are supposed to come in Monday. I expect them to be installed Tuesday and I'll report back later next week. Thanks, Greg

I bought the bb5's with the 160 mm rotors. I've already had them installed but haven't ridden enough to tell much. Mostly just around the yard to make sure they are working. I should be able to ride in the next 4-5 days and I'll give a better update then. Thanks, Greg

Its 8 degrees outside right now. So, no riding for me. Call me whatever you like but call me SMART in the end. I'll let you know how I like them once I actually get to ride. Thanks, Greg

7:54am and its like 28 degrees outside...there are major bushfires on the otherside of town and visability is pretty low. I dont think riding will be a go today :(

well its about the mid to hi 20's (celcius) sunny with a nice breeze. i may just hit manly dam for a run then the beach

niceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...............