Replacing tires, size question

jazu

Guest
HI
I need to replace stock tires. Original stock size is 26 X 1.95.
What flexibility do I have with new tires size? Do I have to put exactly the
same size?
I'm thinking to put Continental Town and Country which apparently are little
bigger.(is that a good choice?)
thanks
jazu

jazu wrote:
> HI
> I need to replace stock tires. Original stock size is 26 X 1.95.
> What flexibility do I have with new tires size? Do I have to put
> exactly the same size?

Only the '26' has to remain the same. The 1.95 can go either way, as long
as the new tire will clear the chain- and seat-stays. (2.3 or 2.4 probably
the limit wide-wise.)

> I'm thinking to put Continental Town and Country which apparently are
> little bigger.(is that a good choice?)

Sound like slicks -- you sure they're bigger?

No way to say whether they're a good choice without knowing your riding
style and habits. What kind of terrain are we talking about here?

Bill "horses for courses" S.

> No way to say whether they're a good choice without knowing your riding
> style and habits. What kind of terrain are we talking about here?

Mostly pavement and some trail in the park, you know some stones, tree
roots.
Mountain bike, but no mountains involved:)

jazu wrote:
>> No way to say whether they're a good choice without knowing your
>> riding style and habits. What kind of terrain are we talking about
>> here?

> Mostly pavement and some trail in the park, you know some stones, tree
> roots.
> Mountain bike, but no mountains involved:)

Semi-slicks or maybe something "small-knobbied" then, depending on how much
of what you do.

Bill "vague-ish" S.

jazu wrote:
>> No way to say whether they're a good choice without knowing your
>> riding style and habits. What kind of terrain are we talking about
>> here?

> Mostly pavement and some trail in the park, you know some stones, tree
> roots.

You'll probably have a difficult time finding something that will do both
pavement and tree roots well, especially if the tree roots regularly get
wet. The Continental Twisters might do the job. I've been pleased with
them in the past.
--
Westie
(Replace 'invalid' with 'yahoo' when replying.)