replacing tires

holoclothes

Apr 25, 2005
My back tire has three distinct holes that go completely through (meaning you can see it on the inner side). I think they are the reason for my back tube constantly becoming flat. Do I need to replace this tire?

What is a good durable training tire that can stand up to the occasional broken glass that is associated with NYC bike paths (I currently have Michelion Krylion Carbon slicks)?

Thanks again,
Kevin

Conti Ultra Gator Skins! :cool:

You could repair the old tyres with Shoo Goo. My local Tri shop sells it for running shoe sole repais. ;)

I had Conti 4 Season and just replaced them with Conti 4000

holoclothes said:
My back tire has three distinct holes that go completely through (meaning you can see it on the inner side). I think they are the reason for my back tube constantly becoming flat. Do I need to replace this tire?

What is a good durable training tire that can stand up to the occasional broken glass that is associated with NYC bike paths (I currently have Michelion Krylion Carbon slicks)?

Thanks again,
Kevin

thanks a lot for the responses. I went to the LBS and they picked out a little bit of glass that despite my careful (well I thought it was) search was overlooked. They told me not to worry and recommended the gators and another similar specialized tire.

by the way, do tire liners work?

holoclothes said:
thanks a lot for the responses. I went to the LBS and they picked out a little bit of glass that despite my careful (well I thought it was) search was overlooked. They told me not to worry and recommended the gators and another similar specialized tire.

by the way, do tire liners work?
I used to use a tyre-liner called "Tuffy Tape". The damn' stuff actually cut into the tube and caused punctures.
In my experience, Schwalbe Marathon Plus is heavy but is as punture-proof as it's possible to get, and gives a decent ride.
Armadillos are very rigid and give a harsh ride. Continental Gator Skins give an excellent ride, but I've not used them for long enough to know if they are especially puncture resistant. Hutchinsons are good too.

Conti 4 seasons. 7000km put on one pair without any punctures. Very niccceee