Replacing Ultegra STI with smaller ones?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by [email protected], Mar 15, 2006.

  1. Hi everyone-
    I have a fantastic 2002 LeMond Zurich that I bought used last year.
    I love riding it, except for one thing - the brake hoods seem
    extrodinarily large to me. I'm a woman, and my hands are relatively
    small, so I find that the brake hoods don't really fit my hands well.
    Is is possible to replace them with smaller (say 105) shifters? I'm
    relatively clueless when it comes to bike repair (except flats), so
    bear with me. Thanks!

    -KC

    Tags:

  2. bfd

    bfd Guest

    What you need is the Shimano ultegra ST-R600 STI lever for *small
    hands*.Its an "ultegra-quality" shifter.

    Go here for more:

    http://aebike.com/page.cfm?PageID=30&action=details&sku=LD0610

    However, if you're "relatively clueless when it comes to bike repairs,"
    I recommend you go to you Local Bike Shop and work with them!

  3. Art Harris

    Art Harris Guest

    bfd wrote:

    > What you need is the Shimano ultegra ST-R600 STI lever for *small hands*.Its an "ultegra-quality" shifter.

    Do those actually have smaller hoods, or just the shims to move the
    brake levers closer?

    Art Harris

  4. bfd

    bfd Guest

    Shims. But I think the question is whether the shims move the brake
    close enough for it to work for her. Since the OP has admitted to being
    "relatively clueless when it comes to bike repairs," the best thing for
    her is to find a good LBS and work with them on making sure that the
    levers fit her.

  5. Yes, I'd definitely not do this myself. I need smaller shims/hoods, I
    can reach the levers fine.

  6. SYJ

    SYJ Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > Yes, I'd definitely not do this myself. I need smaller shims/hoods, I
    > can reach the levers fine.

    If its the hoods that are too large, you're kinda SOL. You may be able
    to go to 'traditional' aero levers & downtube or barcon shifters, or
    perhaps campy ergo, but Shimano makes no brifters w/smaller hoods.

    SYJ

  7. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    [email protected] wrote:

    > Hi everyone-
    > I have a fantastic 2002 LeMond Zurich that I bought used last year.
    > I love riding it, except for one thing - the brake hoods seem
    > extrodinarily large to me. I'm a woman, and my hands are relatively
    > small, so I find that the brake hoods don't really fit my hands well.
    > Is is possible to replace them with smaller (say 105) shifters? I'm
    > relatively clueless when it comes to bike repair (except flats), so
    > bear with me. Thanks!

    Test ride a bike with Centaur or Chorus Ergos. Besides the
    shape, Ergo fronts may be shifted with several short motions
    of the left hand rather than the difficult long reach under
    an STi lever.
    Some riders with small hands prefer them.

    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org

  8. [email protected] wrote:
    > Yes, I'd definitely not do this myself. I need smaller shims/hoods, I
    > can reach the levers fine.

    Then you need a set of Campagnolo ERGO and a new Campagnolo rear
    derailleur which will shift your otherwise shimano setup just fine.
    shimano STI are large and raygun like, Campag are smaller. See a decent
    LBS and talk to them, ride a bike with Campag PLUS no more dreaded 'my
    lever stopped working, where's the trash' syndrome.

  9. Haha, very true. Although I did find this auction on eBay for smaller
    STI shifters
    (http://cgi.ebay.com/Shimano-ST-R600...225856429QQcategoryZ36140QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem).
    There are several auctioning off Chorus ones, not so may Centaurs...
    although it seems like they're all 8 or 10 speed, not 9. :p

    Hopefully my LBS won't give me another, "You want to do WHAT?" look
    when I come in this time. The stem that came with the bike was too long
    (both in height/"length"), so I brought in this old, scratched up one
    that fit me much better. I swear he was thinking, "Dude, she wants to
    put this piece of crap on it instead... okaaayyyy." ;)

  10. SYJ

    SYJ Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > Haha, very true. Although I did find this auction on eBay for smaller
    > STI shifters
    > (http://cgi.ebay.com/Shimano-ST-R600...225856429QQcategoryZ36140QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem).

    ---snippage---

    The R600 brifters are 'normal' 9 speed Ultegra, with shims to bring the
    levers closer to the bar (that is, the drops). In other words, the
    hoods themselves are the same size. As long as the reach from bar to
    lever (while in the drops) is not your problem, the R600s won't fix
    what ails you.

    Good luck,
    SYJ

  11. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    [email protected] wrote:

    > Haha, very true. Although I did find this auction on eBay for smaller
    > STI shifters
    > (http://cgi.ebay.com/Shimano-ST-R600...225856429QQcategoryZ36140QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem).
    > There are several auctioning off Chorus ones, not so may Centaurs...
    > although it seems like they're all 8 or 10 speed, not 9. :p
    >
    > Hopefully my LBS won't give me another, "You want to do WHAT?" look
    > when I come in this time. The stem that came with the bike was too long
    > (both in height/"length"), so I brought in this old, scratched up one
    > that fit me much better. I swear he was thinking, "Dude, she wants to
    > put this piece of crap on it instead... okaaayyyy." ;)

    You _bought_ a new bicycle and had to supply your own stem
    for proper fit _and_ you got attitude ????

    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org
    Open every day since 1 April, 1971

  12. dvt

    dvt Guest

    A Muzi wrote:
    > [email protected] wrote:
    >> Hopefully my LBS won't give me another, "You want to do WHAT?" look
    >> when I come in this time. The stem that came with the bike was too long
    >> (both in height/"length"), so I brought in this old, scratched up one
    >> that fit me much better. I swear he was thinking, "Dude, she wants to
    >> put this piece of crap on it instead... okaaayyyy." ;)

    > You _bought_ a new bicycle and had to supply your own stem for proper
    > fit _and_ you got attitude ????

    I thought the same thing at first. But then I realized she may not have
    bought the bike from that LBS. If she did buy the bike there, and she's
    having that kind of response, she might do well to shop for a new LBS.

    --
    Dave
    dvt at psu dot edu

  13. john

    john Guest

    Andy wrote:

    >You _bought_ a new bicycle and had to supply your own stem
    >for proper fit _and_ you got attitude ????

    Yeah, I'll second that!

    Lose this LBS! These guys probably don't even carry Campy.

    This is somewhat of an industry wide problem, from the messenger &
    extreme mt. bike crowd.
    I have nothing against either group or practice, (In fact I think
    they're both cool, & I'm old enough to be thier great grand father) but
    when it reaches bike shops courtesy to the public, I draw the line.
    It also comes from ignorance and attitude; "If I don't know about it
    then it can't be important & you are thefore stupid".

    There are LBS that specialize in fitting bikes. Some aren't bike shops
    per se. Such as Ted Ernst, when he had his own shop in Manhattan Beach,
    Ca. I recommend that you try to find that sort of situation in your
    town.

    Joining a bike club or three (most are pretty cheap per year) can be
    very helpful in finding resources in your area.

    John

  14. cOn Fri, 17 Mar 2006 00:17:25 -0600, A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:

    >You _bought_ a new bicycle and had to supply your own stem
    >for proper fit _and_ you got attitude ????

    No, she bought a secondhand bike, possibly not even from this particular
    LBS, and she didn't get attitude, she got an incredulous look.

    Jasper