Replacing Velomax Orion Rim



M

Mike Buchanan

Guest
The rear rim on my Velomax Orion II wheels cracked. They aren't that old,
about 5500 miles, so the hub and spokes are still good.

I can build wheels so if I can get a new rim I can switch it over.

Does anyone know if there any after-market rims that will work? It is an
offset design. I was going to send a note directly to Velomax but their web
site lists the Customer Service link as TBD and no address of phone number.

--
Mike Buchanan
 
W

www.BFWG.net

Guest
"Mike Buchanan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> The rear rim on my Velomax Orion II wheels cracked. They aren't that old,
> about 5500 miles, so the hub and spokes are still good.
>
> I can build wheels so if I can get a new rim I can switch it over.
>
> Does anyone know if there any after-market rims that will work? It is an
> offset design. I was going to send a note directly to Velomax but their
> web
> site lists the Customer Service link as TBD and no address of phone
> number.
>
> --
> Mike Buchanan
>
>


Velocity AeroHead OC. . . The VeloMax probably uses this exact rim. . .
 
P

Paul Kopit

Guest
I don't know what it is today. About 3 mos. ago, you send them the
wheel and they re condition for $95. It's a deal. Should you find
another rim with the same erd, you can do it yourself. Using other
spokes, you have to get spokes and cut threads with something like a
Phil Wood tool to make a spoke with threads on both ends.

On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 09:32:25 -0700, "Mike Buchanan"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>The rear rim on my Velomax Orion II wheels cracked. They aren't that old,
>about 5500 miles, so the hub and spokes are still good.
>
>I can build wheels so if I can get a new rim I can switch it over.
>
>Does anyone know if there any after-market rims that will work? It is an
>offset design. I was going to send a note directly to Velomax but their web
>site lists the Customer Service link as TBD and no address of phone number.
 
B

Bruce Gilbert

Guest
I believe that Velomax uses the same rim as the Velocity Aerohead OC.


"Paul Kopit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> I don't know what it is today. About 3 mos. ago, you send them the
> wheel and they re condition for $95. It's a deal. Should you find
> another rim with the same erd, you can do it yourself. Using other
> spokes, you have to get spokes and cut threads with something like a
> Phil Wood tool to make a spoke with threads on both ends.
>
> On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 09:32:25 -0700, "Mike Buchanan"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >The rear rim on my Velomax Orion II wheels cracked. They aren't that

old,
> >about 5500 miles, so the hub and spokes are still good.
> >
> >I can build wheels so if I can get a new rim I can switch it over.
> >
> >Does anyone know if there any after-market rims that will work? It is an
> >offset design. I was going to send a note directly to Velomax but their

web
> >site lists the Customer Service link as TBD and no address of phone

number.
>
 
B

Bruce Gilbert

Guest
There was a Velomax rear wheel in the trash can right next to our booth at
the Hotter n Hell expo. Looked like the build was bad and the rim heaved
over, or something. The radial spoking in the rear has always bothered me.
But, hey what do I know?

Bruce

"Paul Kopit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> I don't know what it is today. About 3 mos. ago, you send them the
> wheel and they re condition for $95. It's a deal. Should you find
> another rim with the same erd, you can do it yourself. Using other
> spokes, you have to get spokes and cut threads with something like a
> Phil Wood tool to make a spoke with threads on both ends.
>
> On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 09:32:25 -0700, "Mike Buchanan"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >The rear rim on my Velomax Orion II wheels cracked. They aren't that

old,
> >about 5500 miles, so the hub and spokes are still good.
> >
> >I can build wheels so if I can get a new rim I can switch it over.
> >
> >Does anyone know if there any after-market rims that will work? It is an
> >offset design. I was going to send a note directly to Velomax but their

web
> >site lists the Customer Service link as TBD and no address of phone

number.
>
 
P

Paul Kopit

Guest
On Sat, 14 Oct 2006 13:14:49 GMT, "Bruce Gilbert"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I believe that Velomax uses the same rim as the Velocity Aerohead OC.


Was, not currently.
 
M

Mike Buchanan

Guest
I am the original poster. I checked on the web and the Velocity Aerohead OC
appears to the be the same dimiension, 20mm x 21 mm and offset.

I found a place on-line that sells them, gave the guy a call and he said
that they are close but not exactly the same. He said that he used one to
rebuild a Velomax and there was some threads showing all around. He said it
was possible to advised against it.

I put on my reading glasses and took a closer look at the wheel today and
found that beside the crack that I found that there were 6 others. There
are 14 drive side spokes and there were cracks around 7 of them!

I took the wheel into a local bike shop that deals with Velomax and they
said they would see what they could do. Maybe they will warrantee it, maybe
they will give me a discount on a rebuild or maybe they will just sell me a
replacement rim. We'll see.
--
Mike Buchanan

"Paul Kopit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> On Sat, 14 Oct 2006 13:14:49 GMT, "Bruce Gilbert"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >I believe that Velomax uses the same rim as the Velocity Aerohead OC.

>
> Was, not currently.
 

daveornee

New Member
Sep 18, 2003
2,763
0
0
Mike Buchanan said:
I am the original poster. I checked on the web and the Velocity Aerohead OC
appears to the be the same dimiension, 20mm x 21 mm and offset.

I found a place on-line that sells them, gave the guy a call and he said
that they are close but not exactly the same. He said that he used one to
rebuild a Velomax and there was some threads showing all around. He said it
was possible to advised against it.

I put on my reading glasses and took a closer look at the wheel today and
found that beside the crack that I found that there were 6 others. There
are 14 drive side spokes and there were cracks around 7 of them!

I took the wheel into a local bike shop that deals with Velomax and they
said they would see what they could do. Maybe they will warrantee it, maybe
they will give me a discount on a rebuild or maybe they will just sell me a
replacement rim. We'll see.
--
Mike Buchanan

"Paul Kopit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> On Sat, 14 Oct 2006 13:14:49 GMT, "Bruce Gilbert"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >I believe that Velomax uses the same rim as the Velocity Aerohead OC.

>
> Was, not currently.
Mike,
The OC Version of Aerohead is what they use. The dimension (ERD) has not changed on the OC version. The non-OC version has changed, so if he was talking about the front wheel, the statement is true.