Report on Alton Brown's City Ham

Nexis

Guest
Let me preface this post by saying, I am *not* a ham eater. Never have liked
it, except covered in bbq sauce and served on a potato roll. That being
said, this ham turned out awesome! lol

Here's the basics: You buy a brined ham, hock end. Score the skin spiraling
one way, then the other so it comes out like diamonds. Tent foil over and
bake at 250*f for 3-4 hours. Then you peel off the skin and whatever fat
comes with it, which turned out to be alot. Most in fact. Then you brush the
whole thing with spicy brown mustard, and pat on first dark brown sugar,
then crushed gingersnaps. Put it back in the oven, raising the heat to
350*f, for 1 hour. It was a hit, to be sure. I had only about 4 slices left
once the dishes were cleared! Everyone was talking about the way the spicy
mustard cut the sweetness without obliterating it...nice balance.
So, if you like ham, I can recommend this recipe without hesitation.

kimberly

Nexis wrote:
> Let me preface this post by saying, I am *not* a ham eater. Never have liked
> it, except covered in bbq sauce and served on a potato roll. That being
> said, this ham turned out awesome! lol

I made and wrote about this a year or more ago!! It IS wonderful, isn't
it!? Yea, Alton!!!!!
Goomba

Nexis wrote:
> Let me preface this post by saying, I am *not* a ham eater. Never have liked
> it, except covered in bbq sauce and served on a potato roll. That being
> said, this ham turned out awesome! lol
>
> Here's the basics: You buy a brined ham, hock end.

Hock... that ain't any kind of ham... ham is whole, butt, or shank...
ain't no other. And what do you mean brined... then sure can't be
cured, must be talking fresh pork.

Sheldon wrote:

> Nexis wrote:
>
>>Let me preface this post by saying, I am *not* a ham eater. Never have liked
>>it, except covered in bbq sauce and served on a potato roll. That being
>>said, this ham turned out awesome! lol
>>
>>Here's the basics: You buy a brined ham, hock end.

> Hock... that ain't any kind of ham... ham is whole, butt, or shank...
> ain't no other. And what do you mean brined... then sure can't be
> cured, must be talking fresh pork.

This is from the recipe on the FoodTV site: *Cook's note: A city ham is
basically any brined ham that's packed in a plastic bag, held in a
refrigerated case and marked "ready to cook", "partially cooked" or
"ready to serve". Better city hams are also labeled "ham in natural juices"
"

Steve Wertz wrote:
>"Sheldon" wrote:
>
> > And what do you mean brined... then sure can't be cured, must be talking fresh pork.

> Duh - Brining is the method used to cure the ham.

No it's not. Brining means to soak in salted water, that is NOT
curing.

You got cured ham confused with pickled beets. DUH!

Goomba38 wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
>
> > Nexis wrote:
> >
> >>Let me preface this post by saying, I am *not* a ham eater. Never have liked
> >>it, except covered in bbq sauce and served on a potato roll. That being
> >>said, this ham turned out awesome! lol
> >>
> >>Here's the basics: You buy a brined ham, hock end.

> > Hock... that ain't any kind of ham... ham is whole, butt, or shank...
> > ain't no other. And what do you mean brined... then sure can't be
> > cured, must be talking fresh pork.
> >

> This is from the recipe on the FoodTV site: *Cook's note: A city ham is
> basically any brined ham that's packed in a plastic bag, held in a
> refrigerated case and marked "ready to cook", "partially cooked" or
> "ready to serve". Better city hams are also labeled "ham in natural juices"

What are you jabbering about... FoodTV! Ahahahahahahahaha. . . . .

"Hock" is not ham, and brining is not curing.... do you think when folk
discuss how to brine a turkey or pork chops it's about preserving...
you'd best stay far away from FoodTV, your brain is brined. <G>

On 26 Dec 2005 18:43:14 -0800, "Sheldon" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Brining means to soak in salted water, that is NOT curing.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Honey Cure for Smoked Salmon

Recipe By :Steven Raichlen
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : brines-rubs-marinades fish-seafood

4 cups cold water
3/4 cup honey
1/2 cup coarse salt -- kosher or sea
4 strips lemon zest
10 whole cloves
10 allspice berries
10 peppercorns
2 bay leaves, whole

Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and whisk until the salt and
honey are dissolved. Use right away.

Source:
"Barbecue Bible! Sauces, Rubs and Marinades"
Yield:
"4 cups"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Serving Ideas : Makes enough for two pounds of seafood, chicken, pork,
or turkey.

NOTES :
Raichlen: This cure was designed for fish, but I wouldn't turn my
nose up at it for turkey or chicken. Cover and marinate fish steaks
for 1 to 2 hours, larger fish filets for 2 to 3 hours, and whole fish
overnight in the refrigerator. Chicken breasts need 2 to 4 hours; a
whole bird, overnight.

Damsel replied to Sheldon:

>> Brining means to soak in salted water, that is NOT curing.

> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Honey Cure for Smoked Salmon
>
> Recipe By :Steven Raichlen
> Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
> Categories : brines-rubs-marinades fish-seafood

> 4 cups cold water
> 3/4 cup honey
> 1/2 cup coarse salt -- kosher or sea
> 4 strips lemon zest
> 10 whole cloves
> 10 allspice berries
> 10 peppercorns
> 2 bay leaves, whole
>
> Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and whisk until the salt and
> honey are dissolved. Use right away.
>
> Source:
> "Barbecue Bible! Sauces, Rubs and Marinades"
> Yield:
> "4 cups"

What a nice way of telling Sheldon he's full of ****! Of course, I'm sure
Sheldon will respond that Steve Raichlen is a six-fingered wop whose taste
is in his ass. That's just the kind of ****-filled moron Sheldon is.

Bob

**** Twerpwilliger wrote:

> "Barbecue Bible! Sauces, Rubs and Marinades"
>
> What a nice way of telling Sheldon he's full of ****! Of course, I'm sure
> Sheldon will respond that Steve Raichlen is a six-fingered wop whose taste
> is in his ass. That's just the kind of ****-filled moron Sheldon is.
>
> ****

A marinade is NOT a cure, you dumb eunochs.

Sheldon wrote:

> **** Twerpwilliger wrote:
>
>> "Barbecue Bible! Sauces, Rubs and Marinades"
>>
>>What a nice way of telling Sheldon he's full of ****! Of course, I'm sure
>>Sheldon will respond that Steve Raichlen is a six-fingered wop whose taste
>>is in his ass. That's just the kind of ****-filled moron Sheldon is.
>>
>>****

> A marinade is NOT a cure, you dumb eunochs.

And a brine is not a marinade. This is a salt/sugar solution, AKA a
brine. A marinade contains an acid, which this clearly does not.

On 26 Dec 2005 21:20:03 -0600, "Bob Terwilliger"
<virtualgoth@die_spammer.biz> wrote:

> What a nice way of telling Sheldon he's full of ****!

That's just the kind of gal I am. :)

> Of course, I'm sure
> Sheldon will respond that Steve Raichlen is a six-fingered wop whose taste
> is in his ass. That's just the kind of ****-filled moron Sheldon is.

Steve Raichlen? Who is Steve Raichlen? <Damsel blinks innocently>

BTW, everyone who's ever tasted, "Crash's smoked salmon," loves,
loves, loves it. Even people who don't like salmon. Like me.

Carol

wrote:

>Steve Wertz wrote:
>>"Sheldon" wrote:
>>
>> > And what do you mean brined... then sure can't be cured, must be talking fresh pork.

>> Duh - Brining is the method used to cure the ham.

>No it's not. Brining means to soak in salted water, that is NOT
>curing.

You're right, as always. It's everyone else that's got it all
wrong.

Stick to quoting from websites because what you have floating
around in your widdle head isn't worth squat.

-sw

Sheldon wrote:

> What are you jabbering about... FoodTV! Ahahahahahahahaha. . . . .
>
> "Hock" is not ham, and brining is not curing.... do you think when folk
> discuss how to brine a turkey or pork chops it's about preserving...
> you'd best stay far away from FoodTV, your brain is brined. <G>

I have no idea why the recipe says "brined" but having made the recipe,
using the ham he described exactly, I can attest to it having tasted
great!!
I've not brined my brain yet....but I'll keep working on it :) LOL
Goomba

Sheldon wrote:

> Goomba38 wrote:
> > Sheldon wrote:

liked

being

> > > Hock... that ain't any kind of ham... ham is whole, butt, or shank...
> > > ain't no other. And what do you mean brined... then sure can't be
> > > cured, must be talking fresh pork.
> > >

> > This is from the recipe on the FoodTV site: *Cook's note: A city ham is
> > basically any brined ham that's packed in a plastic bag, held in a
> > refrigerated case and marked "ready to cook", "partially cooked" or
> > "ready to serve". Better city hams are also labeled "ham in natural

juices"

> What are you jabbering about... FoodTV! Ahahahahahahahaha. . . . .
>
> "Hock" is not ham, and brining is not curing.... do you think when folk
> discuss how to brine a turkey or pork chops it's about preserving...
> you'd best stay far away from FoodTV, your brain is brined. <G>

And WTF is a "city" ham...???

Is the "city" Little Rock or NYC or Venezia or *where*...???

--
Best
Greg

On Mon 26 Dec 2005 09:47:28p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Gregory
Morrow?

> Sheldon wrote:
>
>> Goomba38 wrote:

>> > This is from the recipe on the FoodTV site: *Cook's note: A city ham
>> > is basically any brined ham that's packed in a plastic bag, held in a
>> > refrigerated case and marked "ready to cook", "partially cooked" or
>> > "ready to serve". Better city hams are also labeled "ham in natural
>> > juices"

>> What are you jabbering about... FoodTV! Ahahahahahahahaha. . . . .
>>
>> "Hock" is not ham, and brining is not curing.... do you think when folk
>> discuss how to brine a turkey or pork chops it's about preserving...
>> you'd best stay far away from FoodTV, your brain is brined. <G>
>>

> And WTF is a "city" ham...???
>
> Is the "city" Little Rock or NYC or Venezia or *where*...???

According to Food Network, "A city ham is basically any brined ham that's
packed in a plastic bag, held in a refrigerated case and marked 'ready to
cook'".

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

On 27 Dec 2005 06:00:27 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
<[email protected]> wrote:

>According to Food Network, "A city ham is basically any brined ham that's
>packed in a plastic bag, held in a refrigerated case and marked 'ready to
>cook'".

It's a "City Ham" (wet cured) as opposed to a "Country Ham"
(dry-cured).

Why they didn't just name them Urban Ham and Rural Ham is
anybody's guess.

-sw

<[email protected]> wrote:

> According to Food Network, "A city ham is basically any brined ham that's
> packed in a plastic bag, held in a refrigerated case and marked 'ready to
> cook'".

Brined? BRINED? ;)

Sorry. Naptime.

Carol

On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 23:13:56 -0600, Steve Wertz
<[email protected]> wrote:

> On 27 Dec 2005 06:00:27 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >According to Food Network, "A city ham is basically any brined ham that's
> >packed in a plastic bag, held in a refrigerated case and marked 'ready to
> >cook'".

> It's a "City Ham" (wet cured) as opposed to a "Country Ham"
> (dry-cured).
>
> Why they didn't just name them Urban Ham and Rural Ham is
> anybody's guess.

One of the great philosphical questions of our time. I have enjoyed
Smithfield rural hambs, but overall, I like the urban stuff best.

Carol, just a city, er, suburban gal

On Mon 26 Dec 2005 10:13:56p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Steve Wertz?

> On 27 Dec 2005 06:00:27 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>According to Food Network, "A city ham is basically any brined ham that's
>>packed in a plastic bag, held in a refrigerated case and marked 'ready to
>>cook'".

> It's a "City Ham" (wet cured) as opposed to a "Country Ham"
> (dry-cured).
>
> Why they didn't just name them Urban Ham and Rural Ham is
> anybody's guess.
>
> -sw

Then there must be one that is damp cured called "Suburban Ham".

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*