Report on girl in bike trailer road rage trial.

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Simon Mason, Mar 17, 2003.

  1. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    Tags:

  2. Thanks for posting that Simon.

    I am very interested to find out what the sentence for the criminal who did it will be.

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

  3. Bikingbill

    Bikingbill Guest

    Worrying thing here was the total disregard for the child's safety. I know it shouldn't matter, but
    most motorists do make an extra allowance for children. I hope the Judge sets an example here.
    Please post when the sentence is passed. Regards, Bill

    Two wheels are cool but four a bore.

    --
    Title "I shouted at him not to leave us" Re: Road rage trial File size 230 kb 56k download time 63
    sec. http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/zrage.htm

  4. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "bikingbill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Worrying thing here was the total disregard for the child's safety. I know it shouldn't matter,
    > but most motorists do make an extra allowance for children. I hope the Judge sets an example here.

    The idiot possibly didn't anticipate that the trailer could contain kids. Perhaps he anticipated
    that the cyclist would dive for the ditch -- which, of course would be very difficult with your
    entire genetic legacy in the trailer behind. Whatever, it is hard to comprehend what type of
    thought processes were going on. The cyclist is described as shaking his fist. Parents with
    children are generally relatively mild mannered so it was unlikely that any shaking of fists was
    too testosterone fuelled.

    I hope the judge has his black cap to hand.

  5. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    > Title "I shouted at him not to leave us"

    Let's hope the defendant is treated as if he had beaten father and four year old daughter with a
    club or other weapon and not merely as someone who committed a motoring mis-demeanor.

    Pete

  6. "Tony W" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Parents with children are generally relatively mild mannered.......

    You should try visiting our local branch of ASDA and hear some of the language spoken by many
    parents with kids in tow!

  7. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    Tony W wrote:
    > The idiot possibly didn't anticipate that the trailer could contain kids.

    That was what he claimed at trial. In the article that Simon posted a few weeks ago, Baxter was
    quoted as saying: "I had never seen a trailer like that before. There was no sign to say a child
    was in it."

    In fact this incident has persuaded me to get a "Child on Board" sign for Jenny's trailer, something
    that I'd already considered beforehand.

    The latest article implies that the scumbag will be sentenced this week. I look forward to reading
    what he gets.

    Thomas Paine

  8. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "Adrian Boliston" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > You should try visiting our local branch of ASDA and hear some of the language spoken by many
    > parents with kids in tow!

    Obviously one gets a better class of person at Tesco :)

    Point taken :(

  9. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "Danny Colyer" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > In fact this incident has persuaded me to get a "Child on Board" sign for Jenny's trailer,
    > something that I'd already considered beforehand.

    I think such a sign would be an excellent idea (whereas on a car they just look stupid). However,
    since the scum-bag was willing to run over the father it may also not have occured to him that there
    was much wrong with crushing a 4 year old child. Would it have made his actions any less
    reprehensible if the trailer had contained a sack of spuds? (The consequences yes, but, I would
    argue, not the actions).

    > "He who dares not offend cannot be honest." - Thomas Paine

    I must remember that next time I offend someone. Even with the memory span of a goldfish I should
    get to use it at least a couple of times :eek:

  10. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    A vile incident. Hope they throw the book at him. As someone put it he attacked two people with a
    2500kg weapon which happened to be a car.

    Incidentally at these trailers safer than a bike seat for kids? I really don't like the look of
    them. Not that I have any ankle biters myself.

    --
    Andrew

    "Look laddie, if you're in the penalty area and aren't quite sure what to do with the ball, just
    stick it in the net and we'll discuss all your options afterwards." Simon Mason

    > Title "I shouted at him not to leave us" Re: Road rage trial File size 230 kb 56k download time 63
    > sec. http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/zrage.htm
    >

    > --
    > Simon Mason Anlaby East Yorkshire. 53°44'N 0°26'W http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

  11. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    David Damerell <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<o1E*[email protected]>...
    > Simon Mason <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/zrage.htm
    >
    > "Road rage is a modern-day phenomena" - ugh.
    >
    > [But, thank you.]

    Phenomenon indeed. Yet when we point out these errors to the local journos, they protest that we're
    old stick in the muds who let our grammatical accuracy get in the way of their freedom to use the
    English language as a canvas where they can paint their word pictures. See below

    "A Letter criticising me appeared in the Mail last Saturday from a Mr Don Canty (which, incidentally
    is one of the most beautiful names I've ever heard, I love anything Cant or Canty). Anyway, this
    Canty fella writes to the Mail appalled at "columnists' slapdash English" claiming it undermines the
    Mail's commendable contribution to education. "They seem to suffer from an involuntary 'hey' twitch
    as well as incorporating 'gotta', 'gonna', 'come on', 'thingy', 'I mean' and 'blokes' into their
    semi-literate offerings."

    Mr Canty urges me and the Adams woman...oops! Sorry, Adams woman and
    I...to "refrain from using colloquialistic familiarities" and hold back on "slang-based ingratiating
    bonhomie".

    Woooooo! Big words! Hey, chill out Mr Canty. Don't get a babby's head on about it. And while you're
    waiting for the steam and froth to die down, maybe you should check whether colloquialistic is a
    real word or whether you made it up.

    (I love it when people criticise my writing style or grammar and then go and make a daft mistake
    themselves. Let him what is without sin cob the first stone.)

    But seriously, Mr Canty, I believe language is alive and fluid. It is constantly moving and
    changing, and this movement is, for the most part, driven by common use.

    Language belongs to the people, it can't, and should not be, boxed in.

    I agree children should be taught formal usage and construction (the basics of the craft), but
    they should also be encouraged to use the medium of language to express themselves. They should
    be allowed to push back the boundaries and see what they can express through the rhythm and
    colour of language.

    I use a colloquial style not because I'm some divvy who doesn't know better, but because I want
    readers to hear and identify with my voice. I want to stand out from the rest of the Mail - to be
    more opinionated and provocative, funnier, less formal.

    So thanks for writing Mr Canty, I am genuinely pleased you read the columnists (even
    what's-her-name) and that you are so engaged by the paper you have made the effort to write in. But
    I think I speak for both of us when I say "soz, but we ain't gonna change."
    ---------------------------

    I call it sloppy, but they are no worse than the journos at the BBC who often commit such
    errors as:

    None of the players were injured... The media is biased ... All stratas of society...

    but what do I know, I've no English O level. Simon Mason.

  12. Tony R

    Tony R Guest

    "andrew" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > A vile incident. Hope they throw the book at him. As someone put it he attacked two people with a
    > 2500kg weapon which happened to be a car.
    >
    > Incidentally at these trailers safer than a bike seat for kids? I really don't like the look of
    > them. Not that I have any ankle biters myself.
    >

    > --
    > Andrew

    They are safer in that what happens to the bike doesn't necessarily happen to the trailer. If the
    bike goes down the trailer can stay upright. Obviously a deliberate attack by a car can wipe out
    both, but it is quite possible that if the child in this case had been in a seat either behind or
    before her father she could have suffered worse injuries. Tony R.

  13. Russell

    Russell Guest

    tony R <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "andrew" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > A vile incident. Hope they throw the book at him. As someone put it he attacked two people with
    > > a 2500kg weapon which happened to be a car.
    > >
    > > Incidentally at these trailers safer than a bike seat for kids? I really don't like the look of
    > > them. Not that I have any ankle biters myself.
    > >

    > > --
    > > Andrew
    >
    > They are safer in that what happens to the bike doesn't necessarily happen to the trailer. If the
    > bike goes down the trailer can stay upright. Obviously a deliberate attack by a car can wipe out
    > both, but it is quite possible that if the child in this case had been in a seat either behind
    or
    > before her father she could have suffered worse injuries. Tony R.

    Just supposing this scumbag gets off with a silly sentence, say less than 5years, could we organise
    some sort of newgroup petition? I'm not usually one for getting involved in such things, but in this
    case.... grrrr!

    Russell

  14. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    [email protected] (Simon Mason) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > "A Letter criticising me appeared in the Mail last Saturday ...
    >
    > Mr Canty urges me and the Adams woman...oops! Sorry, Adams woman and
    > I... to "refrain from using... ".

    Sorry, hack, but you were right first time. Writing in an easy colloquial style is one thing; bad
    grammar is another.

    --
    Dave...

  15. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    "Tony W" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > The idiot possibly didn't anticipate that the trailer could contain kids.

    I think he did try to claim that. These trailers are familiar enough for that not to be a
    credible excuse.

    --
    Dave...

  16. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    "Russell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > Just supposing this scumbag gets off with a silly sentence, say less than 5years, could we
    > organise some sort of newgroup petition? I'm not usually one for getting involved in such things,
    > but in this case.... grrrr!

    I doubt it, but it might be worthwhile making sure a quantity of these press cuttings find their way
    into whichever of her majesty's establishments Baxter is destined for. The hard men generally take a
    very dim view of attacks on little girls.

    --
    Dave...

  17. andrew <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Incidentally at these trailers safer than a bike seat for kids? I really don't like the look of
    >them. Not that I have any ankle biters myself.

    Trailers are very visible (and contrary to the defendant's claim here, do appear to be widely
    recognised by motorists), and incorporate good rollcages - rendering a spill where something does
    not actually pass over the trailer likely to be non-serious.

  18. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On 17 Mar 2003 16:30:22 +0000 (GMT), David Damerell <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Road rage is a modern-day phenomena" - ugh.

    :)
    Phenomenon, doo, doo, doo, doo, doo, Phenomenon, doo, doo, doo, doo,

    Muppet memories James

    --
    A credit limit is NOT a target.

  19. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On 17 Mar 2003 14:48:44 -0800, [email protected] (Simon Mason) wrote:

    >"A Letter criticising me appeared in the Mail last Saturday from a Mr Don Canty (which,
    >incidentally is one of the most beautiful names I've ever heard, I love anything Cant or Canty).

    [SNIP]

    I don't recall reading that one, Simon.

    James

    --