On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 15:43:33 GMT, "H. M. Leary"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>What the hell is a "newsfroup"??????

Someone typing away at the computer in curlers...

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 11:59:10 -0400, Luigi de Guzman
<[email protected]> wrote:

>We are all of us snots, and none of us normal.
>
>-Luigi

Then blame it on your bus driver...

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

Helen wrote:
> Is there anything like the CTC on the other side of the pond?...

We used to have a fairly strong national association of cycling
clubs...visit www.labreform.org for particulars.

--Karen M.
Life member, can't resign in protest

In article <[email protected]>,
Curtis L. Russell <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 15:43:33 GMT, "H. M. Leary"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> >What the hell is a "newsfroup"??????

> Someone typing away at the computer in curlers...
>
> Curtis L. Russell
> Odenton, MD (USA)
> Just someone on two wheels...

I have never seen a computer in curlers.

Can you post a picture??

Is this only applicable to the Balmore region??

HAND

--
"Freedom Is a Light for Which Many Have Died in Darkness"

"loki" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:Kw[email protected]...

> "Dukester" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> Not to ignite a pro/anti bikelane debate but I'm having trouble
> visualizing. If the road has a bikelane is he crowding you in the

bikelane?
> Or are you taking the actual car lane because the bikelane is unsuitable?

The bikelane has not been constructed yet. The state DOT has allocated the
money for it but it hasn't been built (yet). I was just pointing out that
this is a route cyclists regularly use already w/o one.

--
Cheers!
Duke

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 19:35:58 GMT, "H. M. Leary"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>> Someone typing away at the computer in curlers...
>>
>> Curtis L. Russell
>> Odenton, MD (USA)
>> Just someone on two wheels...

>I have never seen a computer in curlers.
>
>Can you post a picture??
>
>Is this only applicable to the Balmore region??

You're probably from one of those areas where the computers have no
hair.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

"Dukester" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "loki" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:Kw[email protected]...
> >
> > "Dukester" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >
> > Not to ignite a pro/anti bikelane debate but I'm having trouble
> > visualizing. If the road has a bikelane is he crowding you in the

> bikelane?
> > Or are you taking the actual car lane because the bikelane is

unsuitable?

> The bikelane has not been constructed yet. The state DOT has allocated

the
> money for it but it hasn't been built (yet). I was just pointing out that
> this is a route cyclists regularly use already w/o one.

Gotcha.

OK. Well then you'd be within your right's and in the right to complain but
maybe a more diplomatic tack would be suitable as well. Without identifying
a particular driver explain the situation in generalities to whomever is in
charge and suggest as a part of bus driver training, non-motor-vehicular
traffic: rules and ettquette be stressed.

--
'Kewl! Mom's on drugs!
We can turn her in and get

<[email protected]> wrote:
>OK Rick,
>What the hell is a "newsfroup"??????
>I have read this in several of your posts.
>Is it an RI thing.....:)

It's a fun way of making people do a double-take, think I'm strange,
get increasingly pent-up frustration, and finally ask me what the
hell a newsfroup is. ;)

It's a habit I picked up some years ago in another newsfroup where
nobody took _anything_ seriously. I quite enjoy it.
--
Rick Onanian

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 21:00:37 GMT, "loki" <[email protected]> wrote:

>maybe a more diplomatic tack would be suitable as well. Without identifying
>a particular driver explain the situation in generalities to whomever is in
>charge and suggest as a part of bus driver training, non-motor-vehicular
>traffic: rules and ettquette be stressed.

I can tell you how that meeting will go. All the drivers will be
nodding solemnly. The innocent ones will at the same time be racking
their brains, trying to remember when they trod on a cyclist's rights
sufficiently to inspire complaint.

The guilty one will be half-asleep, certain the boss is talking about
someone else.

wrote:

>You're probably from one of those areas where the computers have no
>hair.

Shave off all that hair. Not only will it make your computer more aero it also
makes it easier to fix.

Regards,
Bob Hunt

On 22 Apr 2004 03:24:59 GMT, [email protected] (Hunrobe) wrote:

>>You're probably from one of those areas where the computers have no
>>hair.
>>

>Shave off all that hair. Not only will it make your computer more aero it also
>makes it easier to fix.

Above all, remember that computers run on smoke. That's what keeps
them going. If you ever let the smoke out, they will stop working.

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 16:17:57 -0500 in rec.bicycles.misc,
"Dukester" <[email protected]> wrote:

> So should I call & make a complaint and probably be written off as a quack
> biker? The only reason I hesitate is because this is the route I ride every
> day! I don't want a bus driver in a worse mood breathing down my neck from
> here on out.

the ******* should be off the road! of course you should report
him, preferably with time & date as well as license number and
description if you know what the driver looks like.

passing in a yellow zone...

In article <[email protected]>,
Curtis L. Russell <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 19:35:58 GMT, "H. M. Leary"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >> Someone typing away at the computer in curlers...
> >>
> >> Curtis L. Russell
> >> Odenton, MD (USA)
> >> Just someone on two wheels...

> >I have never seen a computer in curlers.
> >
> >Can you post a picture??
> >
> >Is this only applicable to the Balmore region??

> You're probably from one of those areas where the computers have no
> hair.
>
> Curtis L. Russell
> Odenton, MD (USA)
> Just someone on two wheels...

Yeah!...and I don't have any either......:)

HAND

--
"Freedom Is a Light for Which Many Have Died in Darkness"

"cal" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I recommend calling to complain. I had a very similar experience a
> couple of years ago. On a regular training route of mine, I
> encountered the same schoolbus nearly everyday. The driver passed me
> at too high a speed and way too closely for safety, refusing to cross
> the centerline of the road to give me any more space. I reported him
> to his supervisor by phone. My conversation was in a very calm and

....snip

> My case ended well, which makes me think a calm approach, rather than
> a confrontational one, which inceidentally was my very strong
> inclination, was the correct one. It seems I learned something too.

After this and other posts I decided to call. At first I thought it was a
County school bus and called them. Their supervisor told me they did not
have a bus #6 on that route- that it must be a City school bus (2 different
school districts). She was very polite and gave me the number but told me
she was not sure who I should talk to since the bus supervisor for the City
recently quit.

I called and was transferred to the assistant superintendant. I gave a
short report of what was happening, reiterating the rights & privleges of
cyclists, and that I was not trying to cause trouble for anyone. He was
polite, but kept the conversation very short, said he would talk to the
driver and "certainly do not want any dangerous situations out there." His
tone reminded me of the assistant principals in school who were more feared
than the principal! I'll ride this home this afternoon (barring
thunderstorms), and definitely tomorrow. I'll see how it goes and update
here next week. Wish me luck.

--
Thanks for the support!
Duke

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 09:44:12 -0500, "Dukester"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> His
>tone reminded me of the assistant principals in school who were more feared
>than the principal!

There is a reason people send their dogs to attack, rather than bite
the miscreants themselves. The master has to be the master--all the
dog has to do is maul, without worrying about the niceties.

*grim grin*

>I'll ride this home this afternoon (barring
>thunderstorms), and definitely tomorrow. I'll see how it goes and update
>here next week. Wish me luck.

Go get 'em.

We live next to a school bus depot, so I've been following this thread
with some interest.

-Luigi

Dukester wrote:
> "cal" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:rtkc80h3o1rrpsr3006bungkdg3nm6-
> [email protected]:[email protected]...
> > I recommend calling to complain. I had a very similar experience a
> > couple of years ago. On a regular training route of mine, I
> > encountered the same schoolbus nearly everyday. The driver passed me
> > at too high a speed and way too closely for safety, refusing to cross
> > the centerline of the road to give me any more space. I reported him
> > to his supervisor by phone. My conversation was in a very calm and

> ...snip
> > My case ended well, which makes me think a calm approach, rather than
> > a confrontational one, which inceidentally was my very strong
> > inclination, was the correct one. It seems I learned something too.

> After this and other posts I decided to call. At first I thought it was
> a County school bus and called them. Their supervisor told me they did
> not have a bus #6 on that route- that it must be a City school bus (2
> different school districts). She was very polite and gave me the number
> but told me she was not sure who I should talk to since the bus
> supervisor for the City recently quit.
> I called and was transferred to the assistant superintendant. I gave a
> short report of what was happening, reiterating the rights & privleges
> of cyclists, and that I was not trying to cause trouble for anyone. He
> was polite, but kept the conversation very short, said he would talk to
> the driver and "certainly do not want any dangerous situations out
> there." His tone reminded me of the assistant principals in school who
> were more feared than the principal! I'll ride this home this afternoon
> (barring thunderstorms), and definitely tomorrow. I'll see how it goes
> and update here next week. Wish me luck.
> --
> Thanks for the support! Duke

You have to reply quickly. You're scarin' me. Bus-driver-lynch-mob
thoughts are going through my mind.

Otto, from The Simpsons, meets Jack Nicholson, from The Shining . . .
.and stuff like that :eek:

--

"neil0502" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> You have to reply quickly. You're scarin' me. Bus-driver-lynch-mob
> thoughts are going through my mind.

I rode home yesterday afternoon but I had to leave later than usual due to
severe thunderstorms. However I saw "the" bus coming back (the opposite
direction) from his route on my way home. I gave a "hello" wave, and he
just kept on rollin w/o any acknowledgement. There was no other traffic and
I know he saw me.

Today I have to go back to the lumberyard (if you really need a laugh, see
my post on rec.woodworking) which requires my truck, so...I'll let you know
Tuesday.

Thanks again.
Duke

>I gave a "hello" wave, and he just kept on rollin w/o any
>acknowledgement. There was no other traffic and I know he saw me.

He saw you. There wasn't a possibility of social interaction,
though.

--

_______________________ALL AMIGA IN MY MIND_______________________
------------------"Buddy Holly, the Texas Elvis"------------------

<[email protected]> wrote:

>I called and was transferred to the assistant superintendant. I gave a
>short report of what was happening, reiterating the rights & privleges of
>cyclists, and that I was not trying to cause trouble for anyone. He was
>polite, but kept the conversation very short, said he would talk to the
>driver and "certainly do not want any dangerous situations out there." His
>tone reminded me of the assistant principals in school who were more feared
>than the principal! I'll ride this home this afternoon (barring
>thunderstorms), and definitely tomorrow. I'll see how it goes and update
>here next week. Wish me luck.

If you get ANY more flack, may I recommend a written letter to the
superintendent with a copy to the school board's attorney, detailing
an unsuccessful attempt to work through the ass super (spell out the
date and time of the phone call), and pointing out that any incidents
after this earlier notification may result in substantially increased
civil damages because now it's either negligence or malice ...

(I hate lawyers, but sometimes they're good boogey-monsters to
threaten people with.)

"H. M. Leary" <[email protected]> wrote:

> What the hell is a "newsfroup"??????

"Froup" is Usenet jargon, an inside joke to troll for newbies, like
cow-orker and other intentional mispleddings. wreck.bikes.* has never
really been a froup that prized geek-chic (in spite of the occasional
snideness against top-posters), though, so trolling for newbies isn't
as sporting here as in some other arenas.

ObOnTopic: http://danenet.wicip.org/bcp/spike.html. Just make sure the
innocent children are all out of the bus.

RFM
http://www.masoner.net/bike/