Dukester

Guest
I've been commuting to work now for a month or so from
where I live now. Where I used to live in town I commuted
everyday for years but it was only a couple of miles. Now
it's about 10.

I work 6-3pm, so I hit the school bus traffic in the
afternoons. My route home takes me on a rural state road
with little to no shoulder. Not heavy traffic, except for
the kids and buses. There is one particular bus now that I
encounter regularly in the afternoons and makes me
uncomfortable when I see him in the mirror. My first
encounter was when he passed me closely on a solid yellow
line going up a blind hill. Today he passed me on a
narrow, albeit short, bridge, again the yellow line, and
oncoming traffic that went into the shoulder for him! I
had taken the lane in both cases. One day last week he
followed me closely, gunning the engine over & over,
although why he didn't pass there I don't know; the road
is the same width in it's entirety. All times he passes at
a high rate of speed and very close, never more than an
arm's length, if that. Maybe it's nothing, but no other
traffic has rattled me so.

So should I call & make a complaint and probably be written
off as a quack biker? The only reason I hesitate is because
this is the route I ride every day! I don't want a bus
driver in a worse mood breathing down my neck from here on
out. Or should I just wait 30 minutes and avoid him
altogether?

Side note; this particular road is designated by the state
with money allocated as a pathways corridor with a bike
lane, so it is not an unusal place for cyclists.

--
Cheers!
Duke

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 16:17:57 -0500, "Dukester"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>So should I call & make a complaint and probably be written
>off as a quack biker? The only reason I hesitate is because
>this is the route I ride every day! I don't want a bus
>driver in a worse mood breathing down my neck from here on
>out. Or should I just wait 30 minutes and avoid him
>altogether?
>
>Side note; this particular road is designated by the state
>with money allocated as a pathways corridor with a bike
>lane, so it is not an unusal place for cyclists.
>
>--
>Cheers! Duke

I'd arrange a face-to-face with the guy and his manager.
That way you'll come across as a concerned citizen, and may
be able to make a good out of a bad sitch.

-B

>I'd arrange a face-to-face with the guy and his manager.
>That way you'll come across as a concerned citizen, and may
>be able to make a good out of a bad sitch.
>
>-B

One thing that might be of use is to carry a camera +
notebook & pencil. *If* possible, get a pic of him. *If*
possible start making a diary of incidents, logging all the
details you can. It may well be worthwhile mentioning this
to the police - who knows, they may have other complaints
against the guy already and yours may help them take action
(one can but hope), and if worst came to worst and he hit
you - there's evidence of previous intent, which may assist
in stopping him getting out of a "I'm sorry mate, I didn't
see you" lie. Just my two-penn'orth as we say over here. A
concern I have is if this guy is driving a school bus full
of kids, what signal is he sending to them about how
cyclists are viewed!

Is there anything like the CTC on the other side of the
pond? Over here in the UK, the main reason I joined the CTC
(Cyclists' Touring Club - but it's for all cyclists not just
touring - web site http://www.ctc.org.uk/ ) is that
membership includes £5,000,000 third party insurance, free
cycling-related legal advice, campaigning & lobbying to
protect cyclists' interests and it has the Cyclists' Defence
Fund. By joining the CTC I've got access to immediate legal
help if, for example, I'm the victim of an "accident".

Cheers and safe cycling, helen s

--This is an invalid email address to avoid spam-- to get
correct one remove fame & fortune
h*$el*$$e*nd**$o$ts**i*$*$m*m$o*n*s@$*a$o*l.c**$om$

--Due to financial crisis the light at the end of the tunnel
is switched off--

> So should I call & make a complaint and probably be
> written off as a quack biker?

Maybe you could wait at a stop and let the driver know that
he's making you uncomfortable after he lets the kids off. If
you frame it by saying you didn't want to call it in and get
him in trouble (without mentioning that you thought he might
retailate) it could divert negative feelings.

Some people aren't necessarily malicious, just ignorant.

Last year in Dallas, Larry Schwartz was killed by a school
bus driver. She got so close to him that the right side
exterior mirror hit him in the back of his head. (Then she
kept on driving) What you are talking about is a dangerous
situation!

Pat in TX

"Dukester" wrote
> I work 6-3pm, so I hit the school bus traffic in the
> afternoons. My route home takes me on a rural state road
> with little to no shoulder. Not heavy traffic, except for
> the kids and buses. There is one particular bus now that I
> encounter regularly in the afternoons and makes me
> uncomfortable
when
> I see him in the mirror. My first encounter was when he
> passed me closely on a solid yellow line going up a blind
> hill. Today he passed me on a narrow, albeit short,
> bridge, again the yellow line, and oncoming traffic that
> went into the shoulder for him! I had taken the lane in
> both cases. One day last week he followed me closely,
> gunning the engine over & over, although why he didn't
> pass there I don't know; the road is the same width in
> it's entirety. All times he passes at a high rate of speed
> and very close, never more than an arm's length, if that.
> Maybe it's nothing, but
no
> other traffic has rattled me so.
>
> So should I call & make a complaint and probably be
> written off as a quack biker? The only reason I hesitate
> is because this is the route I ride
every
> day! I don't want a bus driver in a worse mood breathing
> down my neck
from
> here on out. Or should I just wait 30 minutes and avoid
> him altogether?
>
> Side note; this particular road is designated by the state
> with money allocated as a pathways corridor with a bike
> lane, so it is not an unusal place for cyclists.
>
> --
> Cheers! Duke

This is a fairly sustained pattern of inappropriate,
aggressive and dangerous driving. Keep a log for a few days,
noting time of day, location of travel, license plate number
and any other identifying information on the bus,whatever
description of the driver you can come up with, and as
objective and complete a description as you can manage of
each incident. It wouldn't hurt to dig through your state's
motor vehicle laws and make notes of the laws the driver has
violated in each encounter. After you've logged three or
four incidents, find the driver's supervisor and give him
the information you've collected. If you're not happy with
the results you get from the driver's supervisor, contact
the police.

Waiting 30 minutes and avoiding this driver would save you a
fair bit of grief, but it would also leave this clown free
to harass and possibly injure or kill another cyclist.
Taking the trouble to document this driver's behavior and
contacting his employer or the police would very likely
change his behavior, and it's possible that word would get
around in your community that harassing bicyclists is not a
good thing to do.
--
mark

Please report it, I don't want to read about you as
another fatality.

"Dukester" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I've been commuting to work now for a month or so from
> where I live now. Where I used to live in town I commuted
> everyday for years but it was only
> couple of miles. Now it's about 10.
>
> I work 6-3pm, so I hit the school bus traffic in the
> afternoons. My route home takes me on a rural state road
> with little to no shoulder. Not heavy traffic, except for
> the kids and buses. There is one particular bus now that I
> encounter regularly in the afternoons and makes me
> uncomfortable
when
> I see him in the mirror. My first encounter was when he
> passed me closely on a solid yellow line going up a blind
> hill. Today he passed me on a narrow, albeit short,
> bridge, again the yellow line, and oncoming traffic that
> went into the shoulder for him! I had taken the lane in
> both cases. One day last week he followed me closely,
> gunning the engine over & over, although why he didn't
> pass there I don't know; the road is the same width in
> it's entirety. All times he passes at a high rate of speed
> and very close, never more than an arm's length, if that.
> Maybe it's nothing, but
no
> other traffic has rattled me so.
>
> So should I call & make a complaint and probably be
> written off as a quack biker? The only reason I hesitate
> is because this is the route I ride
every
> day! I don't want a bus driver in a worse mood breathing
> down my neck
from
> here on out. Or should I just wait 30 minutes and avoid
> him altogether?
>
> Side note; this particular road is designated by the state
> with money allocated as a pathways corridor with a bike
> lane, so it is not an unusal place for cyclists.
>
> --
> Cheers! Duke

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 23:35:47 GMT, "mark" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Waiting 30 minutes and avoiding this driver would save you
>a fair bit of grief, but it would also leave this clown
>free to harass and possibly injure or kill another cyclist.

And set a hell of an example for the kids in the bus. The
normal kids end up frightened and the future snots of
America cheer...

Curtis L. Russell Odenton, MD (USA) Just someone on
two wheels...

I recommend calling to complain. I had a very similar
experience a couple of years ago. On a regular training
route of mine, I encountered the same schoolbus nearly
everyday. The driver passed me at too high a speed and way
too closely for safety, refusing to cross the centerline of
the road to give me any more space. I reported him to his
supervisor by phone. My conversation was in a very calm and
deliberate tone, requestiong that he instruct the driver in
proper and save technique for passing a cyclist. I also
suggested that he remind the driver that the cyclist was
regulated and protected by the same traffic laws in this
state as the motor vehicles.

I was quite apprehensive the next time encountered this bus,
too. But the driver executed a perfect passing maneuver.
After a couple more passes in the next few days, all
executed perfectly. I was quite relieved. After about ten
days, I called the schoolbus supervisor again and thanked
him, reporting the marked improvement and requested that he
thank the driver.

This all happened a couple of years ago and since then the
driver waves to me when we meet on the road and always
passes me safely, even when it requires waiting quite awhile
for a safe opportunity.

My case ended well, which makes me think a calm approach,
rather than a confrontational one, which inceidentally was
my very strong inclination, was the correct one. It seems I
learned something too.

Cal

<[email protected]> wrote:

>I've been commuting to work now for a month or so from
>where I live now. Where I used to live in town I commuted
>everyday for years but it was only a couple of miles. Now
>it's about 10.
>
>I work 6-3pm, so I hit the school bus traffic in the
>afternoons. My route home takes me on a rural state road
>with little to no shoulder. Not heavy traffic, except for
>the kids and buses. There is one particular bus now that I
>encounter regularly in the afternoons and makes me
>uncomfortable when I see him in the mirror. My first
>encounter was when he passed me closely on a solid yellow
>line going up a blind hill. Today he passed me on a
>narrow, albeit short, bridge, again the yellow line, and
>oncoming traffic that went into the shoulder for him! I
>had taken the lane in both cases. One day last week he
>followed me closely, gunning the engine over & over,
>although why he didn't pass there I don't know; the road
>is the same width in it's entirety. All times he passes at
>a high rate of speed and very close, never more than an
>arm's length, if that. Maybe it's nothing, but no other
>traffic has rattled me so.
>
>So should I call & make a complaint and probably be written
>off as a quack biker? The only reason I hesitate is because
>this is the route I ride every day! I don't want a bus
>driver in a worse mood breathing down my neck from here on
>out. Or should I just wait 30 minutes and avoid him
>altogether?
>
>Side note; this particular road is designated by the state
>with money allocated as a pathways corridor with a bike
>lane, so it is not an unusal place for cyclists.

"Dukester" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I've been commuting to work now for a month or so from
> where I live now. Where I used to live in town I commuted
> everyday for years but it was only
> couple of miles. Now it's about 10.
[...]
> So should I call & make a complaint and probably be
> written off as a quack biker?

He's probably considering complaining about you - not
that you did anything wrong but he might be one of those
'Bikes don't belong on roads. They should be on the
sidewalk' types.

> The only reason I hesitate is because this is the route I
> ride every
> day! I don't want a bus driver in a worse mood breathing
> down my neck
from
> here on out. Or should I just wait 30 minutes and avoid
> him altogether?

Someone else suggested taking photos for evidence. I'd
suggest that if you did take photos that act alone
would cause him to back off if he is acting with
malicious intent.

> Side note; this particular road is designated by the state
> with money allocated as a pathways corridor with a bike
> lane, so it is not an unusal place for cyclists.

Not to ignite a pro/anti bikelane debate but I'm having
trouble visualizing. If the road has a bikelane is he
crowding you in the bikelane? Or are you taking the actual
car lane because the bikelane is unsuitable?

--
'The only way Ricky is going to get any smarter is if he
dies and comes back as turnip.' -sarah

On 20 Apr 2004 21:50:52 GMT, [email protected]
(dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers) wrote:
>One thing that might be of use is to carry a camera +
>notebook & pencil. *If*

Good idea; even better, handlebar-mount a digital camera and
set it to take video. Then, when the bus is behind you, hit
the button to start recording and get a video that shows
just how bad it is.

With that video, you can definitely damn the driver; if he
then continues to be a problem, or if the bus company is
unresponsive, you can use it against them in a police
complaint and even send it in to a "World's worst drivers"
tv show...they won't want their bus on tv doing that.

>two-penn'orth as we say over here. A concern I have is if
>this guy is driving a school bus full of kids, what signal
>is he sending to them about how cyclists are viewed!

This may be heretical in this newsfroup, but forget for the
moment cycling politics, and worry about what other
dangerous driving this bus driver is doing. It's possible
that this driver will hurt or even kill his passengers!
--
Rick Onanian

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 07:41:43 -0400, cal <[email protected]> banged out:

>I recommend calling to complain. I had a very similar
>experience a couple of years ago. On a regular training
>route of mine, I encountered the same schoolbus nearly
>everyday. The driver passed me
<SNIP>
>My case ended well, which makes me think a calm approach,
>rather than a confrontational one, which inceidentally was
>my very strong inclination, was the correct one. It seems I
>learned something too.
>
>Cal

Cal, that was a perfect response! Especially the call back
to let the supervisor know the driver had improved.

Mike

On 20 Apr 2004 21:50:52 GMT, [email protected]
(dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers) wrote:

>Is there anything like the CTC on the other side of the
>pond? Over here in the UK, the main reason I joined the CTC
>(Cyclists' Touring Club - but it's for all cyclists not
>just touring - web site http://www.ctc.org.uk/ ) is that
>membership includes £5,000,000 third party insurance, free
>cycling-related legal advice, campaigning & lobbying to
>protect cyclists' interests and it has the Cyclists'
>Defence Fund. By joining the CTC I've got access to
>immediate legal help if, for example, I'm the victim of an
>"accident".

Not to mention big cred for having Phil Ligget as its president--
truly the voice of cycling, on the TV & Radio as well as
before the people and in the lobbies of Westminster.

A lot of the wailing & gnashing of teeth on this NG about
the League of American Bicyclists is also pining for an
American version of the CTC--which I understand the old LAW
was, before the present leadership.

-Luigi

"We should go to the masses and learn from them, synthesize
their experience into better, articulated principles and
methods, then do propaganda among the masses, and call upon
them to put these principles and methods into practice so
as to solve their problems and help them achieve liberation
and happines."
- Mao Tse-tung, "Get Organized!"

In article <[email protected]>,
Rick Onanian <[email protected]> wrote:

>snip
>
> This may be heretical in this newsfroup, but forget for
> the moment cycling politics, and worry about what other
> dangerous driving this bus driver is doing. It's possible
> that this driver will hurt or even kill his passengers!
> --
> Rick Onanian

OK Rick,

What the hell is a "newsfroup"??????

I have read this in several of your posts.

Is it an RI thing.....:)

HAND

--
"Freedom Is a Light for Which Many Have Died in Darkness"

> OK Rick,
>
> What the hell is a "newsfroup"??????
>
> I have read this in several of your posts.
>
> Is it an RI thing.....:)
>
> HAND

it's an "in" thing for "old timers" of Usenet. Same as
saying "proggies" for programs or "prolly" instead of
probably. it usually starts off with one poster
misspelling something and the others think it is comical,
so they keep it up.

Pat in TX

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 23:02:33 -0400, Curtis L. Russell
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 23:35:47 GMT, "mark"
><[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>Waiting 30 minutes and avoiding this driver would save you
>>a fair bit of grief, but it would also leave this clown
>>free to harass and possibly injure or kill another
>>cyclist.
>
>And set a hell of an example for the kids in the bus. The
>normal kids end up frightened and the future snots of
>America cheer...

We are all of us snots, and none of us normal.

-Luigi

>Curtis L. Russell Odenton, MD (USA) Just someone on two
>wheels...

In article <[email protected]>,
"Pat" <[email protected]> wrote:

> > OK Rick,
> >
> > What the hell is a "newsfroup"??????
> >
> > I have read this in several of your posts.
> >
> > Is it an RI thing.....:)
> >
> > HAND
> >
> it's an "in" thing for "old timers" of Usenet. Same as
> saying "proggies" for programs or "prolly" instead of
> probably. it usually starts off with one poster
> misspelling something and the others think it is comical,
> so they keep it up.
>
> Pat in TX

Hmmn

Never saw this on ARAPANET.

HAND

In article <mikie357-
[email protected]>, mikie357
@forgedabit.net says...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Pat" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > > OK Rick,
> > >
> > > What the hell is a "newsfroup"??????
> > >
> > > I have read this in several of your posts.
> > >
> > > Is it an RI thing.....:)
> > >
> > > HAND
> > >
> > it's an "in" thing for "old timers" of Usenet. Same as
> > saying "proggies" for programs or "prolly" instead of
> > probably. it usually starts off with one poster
> > misspelling something and the others think it is
> > comical, so they keep it up.
> >
> > Pat in TX
> >

> Hmmn
>
> Never saw this on ARAPANET.

It's not quite THAT old <G,D&R>

--
Remove the ns_ from if replying by e-mail (but keep posts in
the newsgroups if possible).

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 15:43:33 GMT, "H. M. Leary"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>What the hell is a "newsfroup"??????

Someone typing away at the computer in curlers...

Curtis L. Russell Odenton, MD (USA) Just someone on
two wheels...

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 11:59:10 -0400, Luigi de Guzman
<[email protected]> wrote:

>We are all of us snots, and none of us normal.
>
>-Luigi

Then blame it on your bus driver...