Reporting Dangerous Drivers

Paul Stanley

Guest
I f you report a dangerous driver, do the Police actually do anything about
it ?

And secondly, are your details treated in confidence ?

Anyone here thats a Policeman that can elaborate on this ?
Thanks Paulie

"Paul Stanley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I f you report a dangerous driver, do the Police actually do anything about
> it ?
>
> And secondly, are your details treated in confidence ?
>
> Anyone here thats a Policeman that can elaborate on this ?
> Thanks Paulie

Paulie, I actually asked 2 police officers at Kingsgrove(Sydney) yesterday
about what can be done if you had trouble with a motorist whilst riding a
bicycle and their reply was "not much can be done"

They said even if I got their rego number and reported it, unless I had
witnesses who were willing to testify on your behalf, it would be their (the
poxy car driver) word against mine. They then said " Even if we arrested the
suspect on your report and summonsed him to court, I'd have to have
substantial evidence to have him convicted, not easily done."

So I had to ask them about the classic road rage incident, they said "unless
we are called to the scene or if you have solid witnesses, you're basically
on your own"...gives me great confidence in the protection of the State's
citizens....thank you Mr Carr, all this tough talk about being tough on
crime means stuff-all to me, so if I was to retaliate against a road rager
and knock him down with a peice of 4x2 in self defence(provided there was
one lying around and he didn't grab it first), I'll be the one having a
spell on HMS(Her Majesty's Service) at long bay.

Regards
DJ

Paul Stanley wrote:

>I f you report a dangerous driver, do the Police actually do anything about
>it ?
>
>And secondly, are your details treated in confidence ?
>
>Anyone here thats a Policeman that can elaborate on this ?
>Thanks Paulie

Greetings,
The answer appears to be generally No. Unless of course
you get killed, then they will certainly do something about it! I have
reported various incidents to the police over the years and the result
has generally been a big Zero. If you want some results the next time
you are harrassed and/or abused, suggest you report it to the Bicycle
Police unit in West Melbourne, at least they know where you are coming
from.
Regards,
Ray.

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 at 04:20 GMT, Paul Stanley (aka Bruce)

http://www.google.com/groups?selm=slrn-0.9.7.4-21592-30672-200412161647-tc@hexane.ssi.swin.edu.au

> And secondly, are your details treated in confidence ?

They're not relayed to the perp. See the linked article (and links in
it).

My friend managed to get the git to pay a $200 fine, and a loss of 3
points off his license.

"You can't trust any bugger further than you can
throw him, and there's nothing you can do about it,
so let's have a drink." -- Terry Pratchett