Reporting in

Mikefule

Guest
Seems a long time since I've posted to any degree in the forum.

Even though I don't "do" Christmas, it seems appropriate at this time of
year to report in and wish you all the compliments of the season -
whether you celebrate Christmas, New Year or Midwinter, or not at all.
I still read the forum most days, and post now and again.

I've not given up riding, but events have conspired to keep me out of
the saddle for 2 or 3 months now, and it looks like there'll be no
change for a while yet: I have a cracked rib from fencing, and will be
out of action for at least another 2 or 3 weeks.

Happy riding, folks.

Mike

--
Mikefule - Roland Hope School of Unicycling

Everyone should be fatuous for 15 minutes.

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 16:47:00 -0600, "Mikefule" wrote:

>Seems a long time since I've posted to any degree in the forum.

Yeah, I missed you! Anyways, happy holidays for you too, and say hello
to your rib for me.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
--
"Deflating pi does not reduce calories, it just concentrates them. - billham"

munimanpete wrote:
> *but how could you crack a rib fencing? *

The swords are designed to bend in one particular direction so that they
don't hurt you. However, if the attacker has his hand at the wrong
angle, or the er... unsuccessful defender is standing at an unlucky
angle, the sword can bend the "wrong" way, which is bad for the sword.

In between these two extremes there is a "perfect" set of circumstances
in which the sword can't decide which way to bend, so it doesn't. That
means the entire force of the thrust is concentrated on a circle about 6
mm across, with no bend of the blade to absorb the shock.

It's like having your chest walked on by a big woman in stilettos, but
less fun.

--
Mikefule - Roland Hope School of Unicycling

Everyone should be fatuous for 15 minutes.

Missed your posts, Mike.

Hope it's not too long before your rib allows you to ride again. But if
you don't "do" Christmas, perhaps you'll have the time to spread a
little cheer with some more posts in your inimitable style.

(and we still do not have the final say on the pretentious reference:(
)

Happy holidays:)

--
s7ev0 - level 1 and proud of it

The hot bath of achievement may have long disappeared down the plughole
of life, but the scum line of smugness will last until it's scoured off
by the Brillo of ridicule.
"How to be smug" - Guy Browning
s7ev0's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7310

Bummer about the cracked rib. Just don't go seeing any comedy, or
catching a cough, that hurts like hell.

If you're careful not to fall off, you can do easy riding. I started
commuting again way before it got better.

Get better soon, the riding round is really good round here at the
moment, the mud has all frosted up nicely.

Joe

--
joemarshall - dumb blonde

s7ev0 wrote:
> But if you don't "do" Christmas, perhaps you'll have the time to
> spread a little cheer with some more posts in your inimitable style.

I second that. Mikefules posts together with John Foss' and John Childs'
make this place worth visiting.

--
goldenchicken - .
goldenchicken's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8149

s7ev0 wrote:
> *
> (and we still do not have the final say on the pretentious reference:(
> )
> *

Wow! That takes me back. I didn't think anyone had picked up on that
at all.

If I remember correctly, it was a pretentious reference to the unending
war between Cadogan Square and Beasley St.

Cadogan Square is from a poem, "In Westminster Abbey" by Sir John
Betjeman. It's a common "set text" for Eng. Lit. so I thought some of
you'd recognise it. The poem is about the hypocrisy of the
self-satisfied middle classes, and takes the form of a middle class lady
praying in Westminster abbey during the war. The specific reference is
to the most damning piece of satire I know. I'll quote the entire
stanza:

Think of what our nation stands for
Books from Boots' and country lanes
Free speech, free passes, class distinction,
Democracy and proper drains.
Lord, put beneath thy special care
One-eighty-nine Cadogan Square

Beasley St. is the title of a poem by punk poet, John Cooper Clarke. It
describes the most awful street you can imagine where the underclass
live in squalour and despair.

As I'm off work today with a cold (as well as the cracked rib:eek: )
I'll see if I can find a link.

John Cooper Clarke is worth a listen.

--
Mikefule - Roland Hope School of Unicycling

Everyone should be fatuous for 15 minutes.

And here's the pretentious reference from my earlier post:

<<A couple of hundred yards later, I come across the burning car. The
Desert and parts of the forest are a popular dumping ground for stolen
cars, and this one's still burning spectacularly, with flames licking
out from under the chassis and reaching up above the wings. It's a
depressing sight - another empty victory in the senseless war between
Beasley Street and Cadogan Square. >>

--

goldenchicken wrote:
> *I second that. Mikefules posts together with John Foss' and John
> Childs' make this place worth visiting. *

I third that.
I've not tried anything relatively major (major for me anyway) either
recently as I'm not seasoned enough to ride recreationally in the cold -
I even admit that a couple of weeks ago I went to The Lookout at Swinley
Forest and got back in the car without riding because it was too cold!

hope it's a quick recovery!

--
mikepenton - sometimes level
mikepenton's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7090

Glad to see that you're still alive and kickin'. I was getting a bit
worried. I too have missed your posts. Hell of a way to crack a rib.
I thought fencing was relatively safe.

--
underdog - level 1 rider

'I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody
tell you different' - Kurt Vonnegut
underdog's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6197

underdog wrote:
> *Hell of a way to crack a rib. I thought fencing was relatively safe.
> *

So did I...

Seriously, it's a pretty safe sport. A cracked rib can happen at any
time: unicycling, fencing, a drunken fall, a comradely hug, laughing at
one of my jokes...

(OK, I lied about my jokes.)

--

sarah.miller wrote:
> *
> sorry about the Tim Henman thing, I hadn't spotted the poetry-I'm not
> nearly cultured enough. *

And here's me, the gentleman, taking care not to mention the culprit by
name.;) And don't worry, I have it on good authority that Sir John
Betjeman couldn't ride a unicycle.