Reptile/amphibian ID assistance?

Rooney <[email protected]> writes
>On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 00:01:09 +0000, Gordon Harris
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>I suppose it's part of the harness...

>No.
>
>>I'll find out from g/f's granddaughter next time we speak.

>She'll laugh when you mention the harness!

Ha-Ha, I Googled it.
--
Gordon Harris

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 11:21:38 +0000, Gordon Harris wrote:

>Rooney <[email protected]> writes
>>On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 00:01:09 +0000, Gordon Harris
>><[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>>I suppose it's part of the harness...

>>No.
>>
>>>I'll find out from g/f's granddaughter next time we speak.

>>She'll laugh when you mention the harness!
>>

>Ha-Ha, I Googled it.

I knew, but googled too and found this.

http://dovergrammar.co.uk/subjects/Psychology/psychology-frog-horse.html

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 00:43:51 +0000, Peewiglet <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Rooney <[email protected]> writes

>>>Now you think I'm joking.
>>>You're not a horsey person, clearly!

>Noooo! :) I believe you: it's part of the hoof. (I had a pony when
>I was a baby peewiglet :)

That's it - well, a few inches up.

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 12:17:25 +0000, Rooney <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 00:43:51 +0000, Peewiglet <[email protected]>
>wrote:
>
>>Rooney <[email protected]> writes

>>Noooo! :) I believe you: it's part of the hoof. (I had a pony when
>>I was a baby peewiglet :)

>That's it - well, a few inches up.

Oh - you said hoof. I'm asleep - yes!

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 22:28:39 -0000, "AndyP"
<[email protected]> wrote:

[...]
>> >Newts don't walk at all well. They tend to kind of stagger a few steps
>> >before falling over... hence the phrase "****** as a newt".

>> :) Are you making that up, or is it true? (i.e. the '****** as a
>> newt' thingy?) Enquiring minds....

>Uh... making it up I'm afraid.

I'm crushed :-(

>Where I come from everyone talks bollocks.
>When I was but a small toddler my mum sat me on top of the wardrobe saying
>"Go on son, jump, I'll catch you". I jumped, she stepped back, and I fell
>on my head. "Let that be a lesson to you son" she smiled "Don't believe
>anything people tell you".

Yours sounds like mine! :)

Best wishes,
--
,,
(**)PeeWiglet~~

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 23:46:10 +0000, Gordon Harris
<[email protected]> wrote:

[...]
>My mate had a newt he reckoned was poisonous, when we were kids. It
>was a huge one, and was black with yellow spots or splodges.

It sounds more like a salamander to me: for instance, see second down
in left hand column: http://www.nafcon.dircon.co.uk/euro_urodela.html

Best wishes,
--
,,
(**)PeeWiglet~~

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 00:25:06 +0000, Rooney <[email protected]> wrote:

[...]
>I was talking to an old guy who I regularly see on the bank of the
>Mersey walking his dog. He pointed to a filled in pool, part of what's
>now a reclaimed, grassed over tip. He was telling me that he swam
>there as a child, when it was part of a chemical plant, and the water
>was always warm, and curiously yellow!

Eek! <fx: involuntary shiver...>

Best wishes,
--
,,
(**)PeeWiglet~~

On 11 Dec 2004 22:29:51 GMT, Jim Ford <[email protected]>
wrote:

>* The air of uk.rec.walking was filled with the delicate perfume
>* of violets, as Peewiglet <[email protected]> descended on a shaft
>* of golden sunlight, and announced:

>> >I didn't get it, but didn't like to say so at the time - I still don't!

>> Not a Star Trek fan, then? :)

>Ahhh (no, I'm not a Star Trek fan)!

I have a large collection of videos I could lend you, if you ever get
the urge ;-)

Best wishes,
--
,,
(**)PeeWiglet~~

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 12:19:16 +0000, Rooney <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 12:17:25 +0000, Rooney <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 00:43:51 +0000, Peewiglet <[email protected]>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>Rooney <[email protected]> writes

>>>Noooo! :) I believe you: it's part of the hoof. (I had a pony when
>>>I was a baby peewiglet :)

>>That's it - well, a few inches up.

>Oh - you said hoof. I'm asleep - yes!

I should have said "neighhhhh!" :)

Then again, maybe I shouldn't have!

Best wishes,
--
,,
(**)PeeWiglet~~

"Peewiglet" <[email protected]> wrote

> >Where I come from everyone talks bollocks.
> >When I was but a small toddler my mum sat me on top of the wardrobe

saying
> >"Go on son, jump, I'll catch you". I jumped, she stepped back, and I

fell
> >on my head. "Let that be a lesson to you son" she smiled "Don't believe
> >anything people tell you".

> Yours sounds like mine! :)

Shouldn't say bad things about my mum really. If she hadn't hated the sight
of me enough to kick me out of the house first thing every morning come rain
or shine with the words "Don't you dare get your ass back here before I've
finished watching Coronation Street this evening" I wouldn't have grown up
to be the hardy, independent, adventurous soul I am today. I did think it a
bit a harsh at the time and would have gone to the nearest phonebox to call
Childline but I couldn't reach the phone being only two.

"Peewiglet" <[email protected]> wrote

> >I had a huge newt for a pet too when I was a kid. I bought it in off a
> >tramp outside a pub who told me it was a rare long nosed, spikey backed
> >newt. It wasn't until it bit my mates arm off we found out it was

actually
> >a crocodile.

> You're on a roll now :)

Yes, I expect Tom O'Connor is very pleased I'm recycling his old jokes.

"Peewiglet" <[email protected]> wrote

> I remember when I was a peewigletette, sitting for hours next to a
> stream with my pals, the little boys, hoping to catch a stickleback.
> We did occasionally get one (and let it go again).

I never saw any sticklebacks in our local stream (we used to call it the
brook but when I say that some people go "Huh, Wassat?" Is this not a
nationally recognised word?). We used to catch fat little fish called
bullheads. Also known as 'Millers Thumbs' I think.

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 17:18:21 -0000, "AndyP"
<[email protected]> wrote:

[...]
>Shouldn't say bad things about my mum really. If she hadn't hated the sight
>of me enough to kick me out of the house first thing every morning come rain
>or shine with the words "Don't you dare get your ass back here before I've
>finished watching Coronation Street this evening" I wouldn't have grown up
>to be the hardy, independent, adventurous soul I am today. I did think it a
>bit a harsh at the time and would have gone to the nearest phonebox to call
>Childline but I couldn't reach the phone being only two.

:)

Best wishes,
--
,,
(**)PeeWiglet~~

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 17:41:20 -0000, "AndyP"
<[email protected]> wrote:

[...]
>> I remember when I was a peewigletette, sitting for hours next to a
>> stream with my pals, the little boys, hoping to catch a stickleback.
>> We did occasionally get one (and let it go again).

>I never saw any sticklebacks in our local stream (we used to call it the
>brook but when I say that some people go "Huh, Wassat?" Is this not a
>nationally recognised word?).

It is here, but you can never tell with those nesh southerners.

:)

> We used to catch fat little fish called
>bullheads. Also known as 'Millers Thumbs' I think.

We didn't have those: exciting stuff!

Best wishes,
--
,,
(**)PeeWiglet~~

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 16:27:37 +0000, Peewiglet <[email protected]>
wrote:

[...]
>I also remember that I used to go down to a couple of very large ponds
>in the sand dunes, when the toads were mating. I remember lots of
>small children picking up mating toads, wrongly assuming they were
>fighting, pulling them apart and throwing them back into the ponds!
>I'd read the books so I knew what the toads were doing, but my
>attempts to intervene were fruitless.

Incidentally, it's since transpired that these were Natterjack Toads.
They're v. rare, and ultra protected these days. English Nature have
even fenced off parts of the dunes to keep them safe from we marauding
hoards. I have to laugh/cry when I think back to how it used to be!

Best wishes,
--
,,
(**)PeeWiglet~~

* The air of uk.rec.walking was filled with the delicate perfume
* of violets, as Chris Street <[email protected]> descended
* on a shaft of golden sunlight, and announced:

> Amphibia a separate clade entirely, they have larval and adult stages,
> external and later internal gills etc... very different.

Yes - but let's not forget the Axolotl, which is a neotenic ambystomid
salamander! ;^}

Jim Ford

* The air of uk.rec.walking was filled with the delicate perfume
* of violets, as Peewiglet <[email protected]> descended on a shaft
* of golden sunlight, and announced:

> I also remember that I used to go down to a couple of very large ponds
> in the sand dunes, when the toads were mating. I remember lots of
> small children picking up mating toads, wrongly assuming they were
> fighting, pulling them apart and throwing them back into the ponds!
> I'd read the books so I knew what the toads were doing, but my
> attempts to intervene were fruitless.

I wonder if they were Natterjack Toads - I believe their habitat includes
sand dunes. Were they smallish and ran rather than hopped? If they were
Natterjacks, you were lucky, they're much rarer than any newts (I've never
seen one).

Jim Ford

"Phil Cook" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 11 Dec 2004 04:49:53 -0800, BeauGeste wrote:
>
> >This will have been a Bog Lizard .... This makes them move, as
> >you said, with a very pronounced wiggle, hence their more common name,
> >the Pee-wiggle-it.

> Oh the hilarity! My sides hurt.
> --
> Phil Cook looking north over the park to the "Westminster Gasworks"

On topic again phil!

On 12 Dec 2004 23:50:06 GMT, Jim Ford <[email protected]>
wrote:

[...]
>I wonder if they were Natterjack Toads - I believe their habitat includes
>sand dunes. Were they smallish and ran rather than hopped? If they were
>Natterjacks, you were lucky, they're much rarer than any newts (I've never
>seen one).

Yes, they were, but no-one seemed to realise they were rare at the
time. They're protected now, and we're not allowed to go up to the
pools any more. Good thing too, probabaly :)

Best wishes,
--
,,
(**)PeeWiglet~~