Reptile/amphibian ID assistance?

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 09:54:46 +0000, SteveO wrote:

>On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 00:25:06 +0000, Rooney <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>I was looking at a black gecko with yellow splodges a couple of days
>>ago - I wonder if that's what he managed to get hold of somehow?

>Salamanders are trypically black with yellow splodges, and they're
>poisonous should ever feel like tucking in to one.

My lad wants one - they look cool!

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 10:25:22 +0000, Dominic Sexton
<{d-sep03}@dscs.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>, Chris Street
><[email protected]> writes
>>
>>Brook seems to be a northern word. It's not recognised in Warwick where I
>>used to live.

>It was used AFAICR down in Essex where I grew up so I don't think it is
>just the north.

Anyone for Tennyson?

The message <[email protected]>
from Dominic Sexton <{d-sep03}@dscs.demon.co.uk> contains these words:

> >Brook seems to be a northern word. It's not recognised in Warwick where I
> >used to live.

> It was used AFAICR down in Essex where I grew up so I don't think it is
> just the north.

I hail from Essex as well and it was certainly part of my vocabulary but
memory has faded to such an extent that I cannot recall whether it was
in common use out in the boondocks where I grew up. :) Actual above
ground fresh running water seemed a rarity. The salty stuff was however
in plentiful supply.

--
Roger Chapman so far this year 134 summits
New - 105 (Marilyns 14, Sweats 5, Outlying Fells 93)

AndyP <[email protected]> writes
>"Peewiglet" <[email protected]> wrote
>
>> I remember when I was a peewigletette, sitting for hours next to a
>> stream with my pals, the little boys, hoping to catch a stickleback.
>> We did occasionally get one (and let it go again).

>I never saw any sticklebacks in our local stream (we used to call it the
>brook but when I say that some people go "Huh, Wassat?" Is this not a
>nationally recognised word?). We used to catch fat little fish called
>bullheads. Also known as 'Millers Thumbs' I think.

I've heard of Cobblers' Thumb....
--
Gordon Harris

Dominic Sexton wrote on Mon, 13 Dec 2004 10:25:22 +0000....
> In article <[email protected]>, Chris Street
> <[email protected]> writes
> >
> >Brook seems to be a northern word. It's not recognised in Warwick where I
> >used to live.

> It was used AFAICR down in Essex where I grew up so I don't think it is
> just the north.

Plenty of brooks round here (South Gloucestershire).

--
Tim Jackson
[email protected]lid

Rooney <[email protected]> writes
>On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 10:25:22 +0000, Dominic Sexton
><{d-sep03}@dscs.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>In article <[email protected]>, Chris Street
>><[email protected]> writes
>>>
>>>Brook seems to be a northern word. It's not recognised in Warwick where I
>>>used to live.

>>It was used AFAICR down in Essex where I grew up so I don't think it is
>>just the north.

>Anyone for Tennyson?

I dunno, he weren't much thowt of where I cum from, up amongst coot and
hurn...
--
Gordon Harris

SteveO@?.?.invalid writes
>On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 00:25:06 +0000, Rooney <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>I was looking at a black gecko with yellow splodges a couple of days
>>ago - I wonder if that's what he managed to get hold of somehow?

>Salamanders are trypically black with yellow splodges, and they're
>poisonous should ever feel like tucking in to one.

Wow! But we thought it meant a poisonous biter rather than poisonous
to eat!
--
Gordon Harris

Rooney <[email protected]> writes
>On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 09:54:46 +0000, SteveO wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 00:25:06 +0000, Rooney <[email protected]> wrote:
>>

>>>I was looking at a black gecko with yellow splodges a couple of days
>>>ago - I wonder if that's what he managed to get hold of somehow?

>>Salamanders are trypically black with yellow splodges, and they're
>>poisonous should ever feel like tucking in to one.
>>

>My lad wants one - they look cool!

There's a shop in Manchester which sells everything from a locust to a
crocodile. I go there for meal worms for the garden birds in the
nesting season.
The people who shop there are more scary than the 'pets'. :)
--
Gordon Harris

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 09:52:43 +0000, Gordon Harris
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Rooney <[email protected]> writes
>>On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 10:25:22 +0000, Dominic Sexton
>><{d-sep03}@dscs.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>>In article <[email protected]>, Chris Street
>>><[email protected]> writes

>>>It was used AFAICR down in Essex where I grew up so I don't think it is
>>>just the north.

>>Anyone for Tennyson?
>>

>I dunno, he weren't much thowt of where I cum from, up amongst coot and
>hurn...

I thought my remark would go over the majority of heads here, with
them being unversed in the liberal arts or educated in an unpoetic
age. I guessed you or Roger or Fran would get the reference!

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 09:55:56 +0000, Gordon Harris
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Rooney <[email protected]> writes

>>>Salamanders are trypically black with yellow splodges, and they're
>>>poisonous should ever feel like tucking in to one.
>>>

>>My lad wants one - they look cool!
>>

>There's a shop in Manchester which sells everything from a locust to a
>crocodile. I go there for meal worms for the garden birds in the
>nesting season.
>The people who shop there are more scary than the 'pets'. :)

I might take him along, but I doubt he could fit any more livestock
into his room!

Rooney <[email protected]> writes

>>>Anyone for Tennyson?
>>>

>>I dunno, he weren't much thowt of where I cum from, up amongst coot and
>>hurn...

>I thought my remark would go over the majority of heads here, with
>them being unversed in the liberal arts or educated in an unpoetic
>age. I guessed you or Roger or Fran would get the reference!

Yuss, mate, I had a clarssicle edercation. I can even remember when
potery had to rhyme and scan.

My favourite line of poetry:

The ploughman homeward plods his weary way.
The weary ploughman homeward plods his way.
The ploughman plods his weary homeward way.
The ploughman, weary, plods his homeward way.
The weary ploughman plods his homeward way.

They all work, but the first line wins, I think. :)
--
Gordon Harris

Rooney <[email protected]> writes
>On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 09:55:56 +0000, Gordon Harris
><[email protected]> wrote:
>>>

>>There's a shop in Manchester which sells everything from a locust to a
>>crocodile. I go there for meal worms for the garden birds in the
>>nesting season.
>>The people who shop there are more scary than the 'pets'. :)

>I might take him along, but I doubt he could fit any more livestock
>into his room!

I looked closely at a tiny snake in there, about as thick as a pencil,
maybe 12" long maximum, with red, black and white bands throughout its
length, a really attractive specimen.
I could have shared my house with it......

I think it was a small one of these:

http://www.hoglezoo.org/animals/view.php?id=44
--
Gordon Harris

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 18:31:49 +0000, Gordon Harris
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Rooney <[email protected]> writes

>>>I dunno, he weren't much thowt of where I cum from, up amongst coot and
>>>hurn...

>>I thought my remark would go over the majority of heads here, with
>>them being unversed in the liberal arts or educated in an unpoetic
>>age. I guessed you or Roger or Fran would get the reference!
>>

>Yuss, mate, I had a clarssicle edercation. I can even remember when
>potery had to rhyme and scan.

My kids, luckily, got a liking for real poetry before they teachers
got their oar in. They hate most of the stuff they are given to read
in school.

>My favourite line of poetry:
>
>The ploughman homeward plods his weary way.
>The weary ploughman homeward plods his way.
>The ploughman plods his weary homeward way.
>The ploughman, weary, plods his homeward way.
>The weary ploughman plods his homeward way.
>
>They all work, but the first line wins, I think. :)

Most elegiac!

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 18:41:54 +0000, Gordon Harris
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Rooney <[email protected]> writes
>>On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 09:55:56 +0000, Gordon Harris
>><[email protected]> wrote:
>>>>
>>>There's a shop in Manchester which sells everything from a locust to a
>>>crocodile. I go there for meal worms for the garden birds in the
>>>nesting season.
>>>The people who shop there are more scary than the 'pets'. :)

>>I might take him along, but I doubt he could fit any more livestock
>>into his room!
>>

>I looked closely at a tiny snake in there, about as thick as a pencil,
>maybe 12" long maximum, with red, black and white bands throughout its
>length, a really attractive specimen.
>I could have shared my house with it......
>
>I think it was a small one of these:
>
>http://www.hoglezoo.org/animals/view.php?id=44

That's a beaut!

* The air of uk.rec.walking was filled with the delicate perfume
* of violets, as Gordon Harris <[email protected]> descended on a shaft
* of golden sunlight, and announced:

> My favourite line of poetry:
>
> The ploughman homeward plods his weary way.

I often call into Stoke Poges Churchard when I go to Field and Trek in
Slough. Stoke Poges is now basically a suburb of Slough, and if the 'friendly
bombs' ever do 'rain on Slough', I'm afraid Stoke Poges will cop it as well!

Jim Ford

On 14 Dec 2004 21:57:04 GMT, Jim Ford <[email protected]>
wrote:

>* The air of uk.rec.walking was filled with the delicate perfume
>* of violets, as Gordon Harris <[email protected]> descended on a shaft
>* of golden sunlight, and announced:
>
>> My favourite line of poetry:
>>
>> The ploughman homeward plods his weary way.

>I often call into Stoke Poges Churchard when I go to Field and Trek in
>Slough. Stoke Poges is now basically a suburb of Slough, and if the 'friendly
>bombs' ever do 'rain on Slough', I'm afraid Stoke Poges will cop it as well!
>
>Jim Ford

I hated that gay old laureate, but that was one of his better works.

Jim Ford <[email protected]> writes
>* The air of uk.rec.walking was filled with the delicate perfume
>* of violets, as Gordon Harris <[email protected]> descended on a shaft
>* of golden sunlight, and announced:
>
>> My favourite line of poetry:
>>
>> The ploughman homeward plods his weary way.

>I often call into Stoke Poges Churchard when I go to Field and Trek in
>Slough. Stoke Poges is now basically a suburb of Slough, and if the 'friendly
>bombs' ever do 'rain on Slough', I'm afraid Stoke Poges will cop it as well!

Is that the churchyard of Gray's Elegy? I didn't realise.
--
Gordon Harris

* The air of uk.rec.walking was filled with the delicate perfume
* of violets, as Gordon Harris <[email protected]> descended on a shaft
* of golden sunlight, and announced:

> >I often call into Stoke Poges Churchard when I go to Field and Trek in
> >Slough. Stoke Poges is now basically a suburb of Slough, and if the 'friendly
> >bombs' ever do 'rain on Slough', I'm afraid Stoke Poges will cop it as well!
> >

> Is that the churchyard of Gray's Elegy? I didn't realise.

Yes - that's the one. Well worth a visit if you're in the area. They've also
got a famous and curious medieval 'bicycle' stained glass window, though
it's fragmentory and a bit small.

Jim Ford

Jim Ford <[email protected]> writes
>* The air of uk.rec.walking was filled with the delicate perfume
>* of violets, as Gordon Harris <[email protected]> descended on a shaft
>* of golden sunlight, and announced:
>
>> >I often call into Stoke Poges Churchard when I go to Field and Trek in
>> >Slough. Stoke Poges is now basically a suburb of Slough, and if the
>> >'friendly
>> >bombs' ever do 'rain on Slough', I'm afraid Stoke Poges will cop it as well!
>> >

>> Is that the churchyard of Gray's Elegy? I didn't realise.

>Yes - that's the one. Well worth a visit if you're in the area. They've also
>got a famous and curious medieval 'bicycle' stained glass window, though
>it's fragmentory and a bit small.
>
>Jim Ford

It's a very long time since I was anywhere near Slough! On the way
home from an ICL course at Windsor, I think...
--
Gordon Harris