Req : MTB Routes near San Francisco

  • Thread starter Richard Van Der
  • Start date



Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Richard Van Der

Guest
Hi there,

My name is Richard, and I'm a 2nd Officer for KLM Royal Dutch Airlines. In my job I travel
reasonably regulary to San Francisco, and we stay at the Holiday Inn hotel in the Financial
District. Usually I rent a bike at "Blazing Saddles", and I was wondering if someone knows some nice
MTB routes in the vicinity. (Not too hard, due to the limitations of the bike)

Thanks...
 
G

Gary Schmitt

Guest
"Richard van der Veldt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi there,
>
> My name is Richard, and I'm a 2nd Officer for KLM Royal Dutch Airlines. In my job I travel
> reasonably regulary to San Francisco, and we stay at the Holiday Inn hotel in the Financial
> District. Usually I rent a bike at "Blazing Saddles", and I was wondering if someone knows some
> nice MTB routes in the vicinity. (Not too hard, due to the limitations of the bike)
>
> Thanks...

This site has good info re: trails around S.F. http://mtb.live.com/ If you have auto transportation
I'd recommend the "China Camp" loop - it's 95% single track, 10 miles, easy gradual climb, nothing
too difficult on the way down/across. Or just about anything in Skeggs. If you need ocean views try
the Tennessee valley to Diaz Ridge ride. (China Camp, Skeggs and the Tennesse valley ride are
described in mtb.live. If you're going to ride one of those you can find more info with specific
searches on them, or let me know). The bike from Blazing saddles could probably handle those, but
you'd wish you had something else...

If you must remain in the city this site has some maps just of trails in the City :
http://www.sfmtb.com You're looking at almost all pavement with some trail in Golden Gate Park, Fort
Miley and Fort Funston.

You can rent/demo a real nice bike (titus racer x) at http://www.roaringmousecycles.com/ (you can
get there easily on MUNI from downtown).

FYI
 
R

Richard Van Der

Guest
"Gary Schmitt" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

>
> This site has good info re: trails around S.F. http://mtb.live.com/ If you have auto
> transportation I'd recommend the "China Camp" loop - it's 95% single track, 10 miles, easy gradual
> climb, nothing too difficult on the way down/across. Or just about anything in Skeggs. If you need
> ocean views try the Tennessee valley to Diaz Ridge ride. (China Camp, Skeggs and the Tennesse
> valley ride are described in mtb.live. If you're going to ride one of those you can find more info
> with specific searches on them, or let me know). The bike from Blazing saddles could probably
> handle those, but you'd wish you had something else...
>
> If you must remain in the city this site has some maps just of trails in the City :
> http://www.sfmtb.com You're looking at almost all pavement with some trail in Golden Gate Park,
> Fort Miley and Fort Funston.
>
> You can rent/demo a real nice bike (titus racer x) at http://www.roaringmousecycles.com/ (you can
> get there easily on MUNI from downtown).
>
> FYI

Thanks for the very fast reply... I will have a go at those...

Richard
 
E

Eric Lafferty

Guest
Richard van der Veldt wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> My name is Richard, and I'm a 2nd Officer for KLM Royal Dutch Airlines. In my job I travel
> reasonably regulary to San Francisco, and we stay at the Holiday Inn hotel in the Financial
> District. Usually I rent a bike at "Blazing Saddles", and I was wondering if someone knows some
> nice MTB routes in the vicinity. (Not too hard, due to the limitations of the bike)
>
> Thanks...

Getting off-road from the financial district is going to require a bit of road riding. The best
option is to get across the Golden Gate Bridge and into Marin. There are a lot of trails just
beyond the bridge (mostly all fire roads). In the city Golden Gate Park has a bit of off-road
riding, but not a lot. Otherwise you need to transport the bike by car, or do a lot of road miles
either north or south.
 
G

Ghostrider

Guest
> Getting off-road from the financial district is going to require a bit of road riding. The best
> option is to get across the Golden Gate Bridge and into Marin. There are a lot of trails just
> beyond the bridge (mostly all fire roads). In the city Golden Gate Park has a bit of off-road
> riding, but not a lot. Otherwise you need to transport the bike by car, or do a lot of road miles
> either north or south.
>
>

Well,

I'll stick with doing some roadmiles. I was at SFO last weekend, and went off to do the Bobcat-trail
(Or something?)... Just Chinatown was a bit crowdy. Nice climb, first up to the Battery.

Thanks
 
Status
Not open for further replies.