Req : MTB Routes near San Francisco

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Richard Van Der, Feb 3, 2003.

  1. Hi there,

    My name is Richard, and I'm a 2nd Officer for KLM Royal Dutch Airlines. In my job I travel
    reasonably regulary to San Francisco, and we stay at the Holiday Inn hotel in the Financial
    District. Usually I rent a bike at "Blazing Saddles", and I was wondering if someone knows some nice
    MTB routes in the vicinity. (Not too hard, due to the limitations of the bike)

    Thanks...

    Tags:

  2. Gary Schmitt

    Gary Schmitt Guest

    "Richard van der Veldt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi there,
    >
    > My name is Richard, and I'm a 2nd Officer for KLM Royal Dutch Airlines. In my job I travel
    > reasonably regulary to San Francisco, and we stay at the Holiday Inn hotel in the Financial
    > District. Usually I rent a bike at "Blazing Saddles", and I was wondering if someone knows some
    > nice MTB routes in the vicinity. (Not too hard, due to the limitations of the bike)
    >
    > Thanks...

    This site has good info re: trails around S.F. http://mtb.live.com/ If you have auto transportation
    I'd recommend the "China Camp" loop - it's 95% single track, 10 miles, easy gradual climb, nothing
    too difficult on the way down/across. Or just about anything in Skeggs. If you need ocean views try
    the Tennessee valley to Diaz Ridge ride. (China Camp, Skeggs and the Tennesse valley ride are
    described in mtb.live. If you're going to ride one of those you can find more info with specific
    searches on them, or let me know). The bike from Blazing saddles could probably handle those, but
    you'd wish you had something else...

    If you must remain in the city this site has some maps just of trails in the City :
    http://www.sfmtb.com You're looking at almost all pavement with some trail in Golden Gate Park, Fort
    Miley and Fort Funston.

    You can rent/demo a real nice bike (titus racer x) at http://www.roaringmousecycles.com/ (you can
    get there easily on MUNI from downtown).

    FYI

  3. "Gary Schmitt" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > This site has good info re: trails around S.F. http://mtb.live.com/ If you have auto
    > transportation I'd recommend the "China Camp" loop - it's 95% single track, 10 miles, easy gradual
    > climb, nothing too difficult on the way down/across. Or just about anything in Skeggs. If you need
    > ocean views try the Tennessee valley to Diaz Ridge ride. (China Camp, Skeggs and the Tennesse
    > valley ride are described in mtb.live. If you're going to ride one of those you can find more info
    > with specific searches on them, or let me know). The bike from Blazing saddles could probably
    > handle those, but you'd wish you had something else...
    >
    > If you must remain in the city this site has some maps just of trails in the City :
    > http://www.sfmtb.com You're looking at almost all pavement with some trail in Golden Gate Park,
    > Fort Miley and Fort Funston.
    >
    > You can rent/demo a real nice bike (titus racer x) at http://www.roaringmousecycles.com/ (you can
    > get there easily on MUNI from downtown).
    >
    > FYI

    Thanks for the very fast reply... I will have a go at those...

    Richard

  4. Richard van der Veldt wrote:

    > Hi there,
    >
    > My name is Richard, and I'm a 2nd Officer for KLM Royal Dutch Airlines. In my job I travel
    > reasonably regulary to San Francisco, and we stay at the Holiday Inn hotel in the Financial
    > District. Usually I rent a bike at "Blazing Saddles", and I was wondering if someone knows some
    > nice MTB routes in the vicinity. (Not too hard, due to the limitations of the bike)
    >
    > Thanks...

    Getting off-road from the financial district is going to require a bit of road riding. The best
    option is to get across the Golden Gate Bridge and into Marin. There are a lot of trails just
    beyond the bridge (mostly all fire roads). In the city Golden Gate Park has a bit of off-road
    riding, but not a lot. Otherwise you need to transport the bike by car, or do a lot of road miles
    either north or south.

  5. Ghostrider

    Ghostrider Guest

    > Getting off-road from the financial district is going to require a bit of road riding. The best
    > option is to get across the Golden Gate Bridge and into Marin. There are a lot of trails just
    > beyond the bridge (mostly all fire roads). In the city Golden Gate Park has a bit of off-road
    > riding, but not a lot. Otherwise you need to transport the bike by car, or do a lot of road miles
    > either north or south.

    Well,

    I'll stick with doing some roadmiles. I was at SFO last weekend, and went off to do the Bobcat-trail
    (Or something?)... Just Chinatown was a bit crowdy. Nice climb, first up to the Battery.

    Thanks