Req: New to this and need some info and sites to look at.

-Lsq]--Skonofvu

Guest
Hello,

I used to do a lot of bike rideing when I was younger... now 4 disks gone in my back, several
surgeries to do repair work in my lower back etc and I am now disabled. I can not ride a regular
bike or walk long distances (not because of my legs. just my back). Sat on a recumbent bike in the
store recently and it was comfortable and I don't think I would have any problems riding it. However
the price was very very high by the income levels in my area. Price range I am looking for is less
then $500 as $10k a year is the median income here in Southeast Idaho. So is there any advice on
where to look online for lower priced recumbent bikes? I am also having some problems with balance
so trike might be in line if they make them. Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Skon

>[email protected] wrote: I used to do a lot of bike rideing when I was younger... now 4
>disks gone in my back, several surgeries to do repair work in my lower back etc and I am now
>disabled. I can not ride a regular bike or walk long distances (not because of my legs. just my
>back). Sat on a recumbent bike in the store recently and it was comfortable and I don't think I
>would have any problems riding it. However the price was very very high by the income levels in
>my area. Price range I am looking for is less then $500 as $10k a year is the median income here
>in Southeast Idaho. So is there any advice on where to look online for lower priced recumbent
>bikes? I am also having some problems with balance so trike might be in line if they make them.
>Thanks in advance!

Mostly (unless very lucky) you get what you pay for. Save your money to get a better quality
recumbent. Also consider used or homebuilt. Some disability programs, insurance or charities may
help pay for your bent especially if it is for rehabilitation or transportation.

You will want to ride as many recumbents (stores, club meets, etc) as possible before you buy to see
which one is right for your body and your cycling needs.

And yes, there are a variety of trikes available, but most cost more than a good used bent. The EZ-3
by Sun Bicycles is probably the most affordable: http://www.sunbicycles.com/recumbents.htm

[]--SkonOfVulcan--[] <[email protected]> wrote:
: Hello,

: I used to do a lot of bike rideing when I was younger... now 4 disks gone in my back, several
: surgeries to do repair work in my lower back etc and I am now disabled. I can not ride a regular
: bike or walk long distances (not

Can your back take bumps? If not, consider suspension.

I'd advise saving for your dream bent, spend less of that $10k and you're on your way there... Also
be sure to test ride :)

> I'd advise saving for your dream bent, spend less of that $10k and you're on your way there...
> Also be sure to test ride :)

$10k is the median income here. I don't make anywhere near that much as all I can do is tech
support. No manual labor because of my back.

Thanks for the link! I bookmarked it. Looks like a very nice bike. They do not have any prices on
there site. Do you have a ruff idea as to there cost?

"[]--SkonOfVulcan--[]" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

> Thanks for the link! I bookmarked it. Looks like a very nice bike. They do not have any prices on
> there site. Do you have a ruff idea as to there cost?
>
> "baronn1" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>> And yes, there are a variety of trikes available, but most cost more than
>> good used bent. The EZ-3 by Sun Bicycles is probably the most affordable:
>> http://www.sunbicycles.com/recumbents.htm

Last season they were between U$450 and U$500. If you don't mind used and are in no hurry, you might
find something in the ads at www.recumbents.com currently there is an ad:

> Item: FS: EZ-1 Super Cruiser, 1 year old Price: $350 OBO FS: Red EZ-1 Super Cruiser, 1 year old,
> 21 speeds, used gently, $350
OBO. Prefer to have buyer pick up somewhere around greater San Francisco Bay Area but will have
professionally packed (to avoid damage) and shipped at buyer's expense.
> From: Josiah Meahan of Concord, CA Email: [email protected] Phone: >
Ad Date: 3/19/03 1:13:53 PM Ad Id # 6840

fairly old ad, so likely sold.

I have a huge suspended 'bent that is homebuilt (not by me, I purchased it from the builder). It
is for sale.

There are several problems:
1. It is not adjustable. If you stand about 5'6" tall then it'll probably be good for you,
otherwise not.
2. The components are barely OK, as is the cabling. This means that shifting and braking are nowhere
near as good as they could be. If you are handy at cleaning and replacing cables I'm sure that,
with a bit of work, the bike would operate much better.
3. The bike is HUGE. I'm not sure how I would ship it. It does split into two pieces, each about the
size of a regular bike, I suppose I could try to send it as two, but that might require
disconnecting some of the cables, and how would you know how to put it all back together?

There are also several benefits:
4. The bike has a wonderful cushy ride, I imagine that it would be very easy on your back.
5. It is cheap! I paid $300, I'd sell it for less (it was for my son who outgrew it, and who has
since gone off to college).
6. It has lots of nice extras: a generator light system, a stereo (no kidding), a rack.

I have placed some pictures of it here: http://mywebpages.comcast.net/daveweiss/furniture/

If you (or anyone else on this list) are interested, get in touch.

Alan Weiss NJ Gold Rush, E2 tandem, and Leitra rider