Req: Soft dinner rolls

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Arri London, Jan 20, 2006.

  1. Arri London

    Arri London Guest

    Anyone have a tried and true recipe for those very soft dinner rolls?
    Have tried a few recipes from the cookbooks we have inherited but the
    rolls are just too 'bready' instead of soft and fluffy.

    My mother likes them and I'm trying to get as many calories into her as
    poss LOL.

    TIA

    Tags:

  2. Arri London wrote:
    > Anyone have a tried and true recipe for those very soft dinner rolls?
    > Have tried a few recipes from the cookbooks we have inherited but the
    > rolls are just too 'bready' instead of soft and fluffy.
    >
    > My mother likes them and I'm trying to get as many calories into her as
    > poss LOL.
    >
    > TIA

    I think these are a development of commercial bakeries where all types
    of chemicals, (yes, I know that everything is made of chemicals, and
    that all chemicals are naturally occuring, ie: dough conditioners), are
    added to the dough for texture and preservation, but I've never tasted
    a truly homemade bread that had the texture and flavor of the soft
    stuff you're talking about.

    I don't think you can make these at home w/o purchasing sacksful of
    commercial products. Buy the rolls at a supermarket. You'll get what
    you want and save money.

  3. [email protected] wrote:
    > Arri London wrote:
    >
    >>Anyone have a tried and true recipe for those very soft dinner rolls?
    >>Have tried a few recipes from the cookbooks we have inherited but the
    >>rolls are just too 'bready' instead of soft and fluffy.
    >>
    >>My mother likes them and I'm trying to get as many calories into her as
    >>poss LOL.
    >>
    >>TIA

    > I think these are a development of commercial bakeries where all types
    > of chemicals, (yes, I know that everything is made of chemicals, and
    > that all chemicals are naturally occuring, ie: dough conditioners), are
    > added to the dough for texture and preservation, but I've never tasted
    > a truly homemade bread that had the texture and flavor of the soft
    > stuff you're talking about.
    >
    > I don't think you can make these at home w/o purchasing sacksful of
    > commercial products. Buy the rolls at a supermarket. You'll get what
    > you want and save money.

    King Arthur Flour might have a product like that

    http://shop.bakerscatalogue.com/list.jsp?pv=1137811950941&byCategory=C120&select=C78

    --

    saerah

    http://anisaerah.blogspot.com/

    -Baruch Spinoza

    -Douglas Adams

  4. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    Arri London wrote:
    > Anyone have a tried and true recipe for those very soft dinner rolls?
    > Have tried a few recipes from the cookbooks we have inherited but the
    > rolls are just too 'bready' instead of soft and fluffy.
    >
    > My mother likes them and I'm trying to get as many calories into her
    > as poss LOL.
    >
    > TIA

    YES YES and did I say YES?! These are from the 1978 Good Housekeeping
    Cookbook. Wonderful, soft, tasty prep ahead yeast rolls. Ready? Here you
    go!

    Refrigerator Rolls

    6 - 6-1/2 c. all purpose flour
    1/2 c. sugar
    2 tsp. salt
    2 pkgs. active dry yeast
    1/2 c. butter, softened
    2 c. very warm water
    1 large egg
    vegetable oil
    melted butter

    Early in the day or up to 1 WEEK ahead:

    1. In a large bowl, combine 2-1/4 cups flour, sugar, salt & yeast. Add
    butter. With mixer at low speed, gradually pour in two cups hot tap water
    (120F). Add egg, increase speed to medium and beat 2 minutes, occasionally
    scraping the bowl with a rubber spatula. Beat in 3/4 c. flour or enough to
    make a thick batter; continue beating 2 minutes. With a spoon, stir in
    enough additional flour (about 2-1/2 cups) to make a soft dough.

    2. Turn dough onto a lightly floured board and knead until smooth and
    elastic, about 10 minutes. Shape into a ball and place in a large greased
    bowl, turning to grease the entire round of dough. Cover with a towel and
    let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.

    3. Punch down dough. Turn the dough over and brush with oil. Cover bowl
    tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate, punching down occasionally, until
    ready to bake.

    About 2 hours before serving:

    Step 4: Remove dough from refrigerator. Grease a 15X10 pan (I use a turkey
    open roasting pan for this). Cut the dough into 30 equal pieces and shape
    into balls and place in the pan. Cover the pan with towels and let the
    dough rise in a warm place until doubled about 1-1/2 hours.

    5. Preheat oven to 425F. Bake the rolls 15-20 minutes until golden brown.
    Brush with melted butter. Remove rolls from pan and serve immediately.

    Makes 2-1/2 dozen rolls. And they are YUMMY!

    Jill

  5. On Fri 20 Jan 2006 10:31:46p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it jmcquown?

    > Arri London wrote:
    >> Anyone have a tried and true recipe for those very soft dinner rolls?
    >> Have tried a few recipes from the cookbooks we have inherited but the
    >> rolls are just too 'bready' instead of soft and fluffy.
    >>
    >> My mother likes them and I'm trying to get as many calories into her
    >> as poss LOL.
    >>
    >> TIA

    > YES YES and did I say YES?! These are from the 1978 Good Housekeeping
    > Cookbook. Wonderful, soft, tasty prep ahead yeast rolls. Ready? Here
    > you go!
    >
    > Refrigerator Rolls
    >
    > 6 - 6-1/2 c. all purpose flour
    > 1/2 c. sugar
    > 2 tsp. salt
    > 2 pkgs. active dry yeast
    > 1/2 c. butter, softened
    > 2 c. very warm water
    > 1 large egg
    > vegetable oil
    > melted butter
    >
    > Early in the day or up to 1 WEEK ahead:
    >
    > 1. In a large bowl, combine 2-1/4 cups flour, sugar, salt & yeast. Add
    > butter. With mixer at low speed, gradually pour in two cups hot tap
    > water (120F). Add egg, increase speed to medium and beat 2 minutes,
    > occasionally scraping the bowl with a rubber spatula. Beat in 3/4 c.
    > flour or enough to make a thick batter; continue beating 2 minutes.
    > With a spoon, stir in enough additional flour (about 2-1/2 cups) to make
    > a soft dough.
    >
    > 2. Turn dough onto a lightly floured board and knead until smooth and
    > elastic, about 10 minutes. Shape into a ball and place in a large
    > greased bowl, turning to grease the entire round of dough. Cover with a
    > towel and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
    >
    > 3. Punch down dough. Turn the dough over and brush with oil. Cover
    > bowl tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate, punching down
    > occasionally, until ready to bake.
    >
    > About 2 hours before serving:
    >
    > Step 4: Remove dough from refrigerator. Grease a 15X10 pan (I use a
    > turkey open roasting pan for this). Cut the dough into 30 equal pieces
    > and shape into balls and place in the pan. Cover the pan with towels
    > and let the dough rise in a warm place until doubled about 1-1/2 hours.
    >
    > 5. Preheat oven to 425F. Bake the rolls 15-20 minutes until golden
    > brown. Brush with melted butter. Remove rolls from pan and serve
    > immediately.
    >
    > Makes 2-1/2 dozen rolls. And they are YUMMY!

    These sound wonderful! Two questions, Jill... Once baked, do the rolls
    freeze well? Do you think one could successfully make half a recipe?

    Thanks!

    --
    Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

  6. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    > On Fri 20 Jan 2006 10:31:46p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
    > jmcquown?
    >
    >> Arri London wrote:
    >>> Anyone have a tried and true recipe for those very soft dinner
    >>> rolls? Have tried a few recipes from the cookbooks we have
    >>> inherited but the rolls are just too 'bready' instead of soft and
    >>> fluffy.
    >>>
    >>> My mother likes them and I'm trying to get as many calories into her
    >>> as poss LOL.
    >>>
    >>> TIA

    >> YES YES and did I say YES?! These are from the 1978 Good
    >> Housekeeping Cookbook. Wonderful, soft, tasty prep ahead yeast
    >> rolls. Ready? Here you go!
    >>
    >> Refrigerator Rolls

    (snipped self)
    > These sound wonderful! Two questions, Jill... Once baked, do the
    > rolls freeze well? Do you think one could successfully make half a
    > recipe?
    >
    > Thanks!

    I would imagine they'd freeze okay if properly wrapped. I've never tried to
    make a half recipe. These rolls are wonderful and soft... if you ever ate
    at the old - here kicks in my age, I can't remember the name of the place, a
    diner on Southern Avenue by Hollywood, with an old pie case and red stools
    at the counter and a few tables - opened a new location out east... dang,
    what was the name of the place?! Anyway, they'd give baskets of rolls like
    this with butter which were to DIE for. These rolls are like those :)

    Jill

  7. On Fri 20 Jan 2006 11:08:47p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it jmcquown?

    > Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    >> On Fri 20 Jan 2006 10:31:46p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
    >> jmcquown?

    >>> YES YES and did I say YES?! These are from the 1978 Good
    >>> Housekeeping Cookbook. Wonderful, soft, tasty prep ahead yeast
    >>> rolls. Ready? Here you go!
    >>>
    >>> Refrigerator Rolls
    >>>

    > (snipped self)
    >> These sound wonderful! Two questions, Jill... Once baked, do the
    >> rolls freeze well? Do you think one could successfully make half a
    >> recipe?
    >>
    >> Thanks!

    > I would imagine they'd freeze okay if properly wrapped. I've never
    > tried to make a half recipe. These rolls are wonderful and soft... if
    > you ever ate at the old - here kicks in my age, I can't remember the
    > name of the place, a diner on Southern Avenue by Hollywood, with an old
    > pie case and red stools at the counter and a few tables - opened a new
    > location out east... dang, what was the name of the place?! Anyway,
    > they'd give baskets of rolls like this with butter which were to DIE
    > for. These rolls are like those :)

    I'll try one or the other. I don't dare have 30 rolls available to me at
    one time! :) I don't remember the diner, but I think rolls like these
    were also served at the Britling's Cafeteria that was in the complex by
    Lowenstein's East. I loved eating there.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

  8. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    > On Fri 20 Jan 2006 11:08:47p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
    > jmcquown?
    >
    >> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    >>> On Fri 20 Jan 2006 10:31:46p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
    >>> jmcquown?

    >> (snipped self)
    >>> These sound wonderful! Two questions, Jill... Once baked, do the
    >>> rolls freeze well? Do you think one could successfully make half a
    >>> recipe?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks!

    >> I would imagine they'd freeze okay if properly wrapped. I've never
    >> tried to make a half recipe. These rolls are wonderful and soft...
    >> if you ever ate at the old - here kicks in my age, I can't remember
    >> the name of the place, a diner on Southern Avenue by Hollywood, with
    >> an old pie case and red stools at the counter and a few tables -
    >> opened a new location out east... dang, what was the name of the
    >> place?! Anyway, they'd give baskets of rolls like this with butter
    >> which were to DIE for. These rolls are like those :)

    > I'll try one or the other. I don't dare have 30 rolls available to
    > me at one time! :) I don't remember the diner, but I think rolls
    > like these were also served at the Britling's Cafeteria that was in
    > the complex by Lowenstein's East. I loved eating there.

    Britling's!!! I'd forgotten all about that place! Got some great shopping
    deals at Lowensteins when they went out of business.

    I *remembered!* Buntyn's! Used to be over off of Hollywood & Southern next
    to the railroad tracks. They moved to Park at White Station and went way
    downhill from there. Used to be a real old diner with pies in pie cases and
    those old-time red seats in front of the counter. Some tables scattered
    here and there... and those rolls! Ooooh boy! and cornbread muffins, mixed
    in.

    Now they've moved to Park Avenue and guess what? Can you sing the song from
    the old 'Green Acres' TV show? "Give me Park avenue" has made this place go
    from a wonderful home-town place to down hill, fast. Go there for lunch;
    yes, it's packed. The food? Now it's *mediocre*. I think the rolls are
    pre-packaged frozen these days. The corn muffins are definitely not up to
    par. So much for relocating the business. You're better off going to the
    CK's Coffee Shop. So sad to see a tradition go downhill like that.

    Jill

  9. Wayne Boatwright wrote on 21 Jan 2006 in rec.food.cooking

    > I'll try one or the other. I don't dare have 30 rolls available to me
    > at one time! :) I don't remember the diner, but I think rolls like
    > these were also served at the Britling's Cafeteria that was in the
    > complex by Lowenstein's East. I loved eating there.
    >
    > --
    > Wayne Boatwright å¨åª

    Do what I do...Invite people over, that way there's nothing left to snack
    on and the Carbs will wear off in about a week.

    --
    The eyes are the mirrors....
    But the ears...Ah the ears.

  10. aem

    aem Guest

    Arri London wrote:
    > Anyone have a tried and true recipe for those very soft dinner rolls?
    > Have tried a few recipes from the cookbooks we have inherited but the
    > rolls are just too 'bready' instead of soft and fluffy.
    >
    > My mother likes them and I'm trying to get as many calories into her as
    > poss LOL.

    How about Parker House Rolls? They've been popular since the 1850's.
    Here's a recipe:
    http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/102605

    My recollection is that melted butter on the top before baking helps
    keep them soft. -aem

  11. On Sat 21 Jan 2006 07:30:53a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Mr Libido
    Incognito?

    > Wayne Boatwright wrote on 21 Jan 2006 in rec.food.cooking
    >
    >> I'll try one or the other. I don't dare have 30 rolls available to me
    >> at one time! :) I don't remember the diner, but I think rolls like
    >> these were also served at the Britling's Cafeteria that was in the
    >> complex by Lowenstein's East. I loved eating there.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Wayne Boatwright å¨åª
    >>

    > Do what I do...Invite people over, that way there's nothing left to snack
    > on and the Carbs will wear off in about a week.

    We're not living in circumstances amenable to entertaining right now, but I
    could give the excess away. I know several people who would probably love
    to have them.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

  12. On Sat 21 Jan 2006 02:13:26a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it jmcquown?

    > Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    >> On Fri 20 Jan 2006 11:08:47p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
    >> jmcquown?

    >>> (snipped self)

    >>> I would imagine they'd freeze okay if properly wrapped. I've never
    >>> tried to make a half recipe. These rolls are wonderful and soft...
    >>> if you ever ate at the old - here kicks in my age, I can't remember
    >>> the name of the place, a diner on Southern Avenue by Hollywood, with
    >>> an old pie case and red stools at the counter and a few tables -
    >>> opened a new location out east... dang, what was the name of the
    >>> place?! Anyway, they'd give baskets of rolls like this with butter
    >>> which were to DIE for. These rolls are like those :)

    >> I'll try one or the other. I don't dare have 30 rolls available to
    >> me at one time! :) I don't remember the diner, but I think rolls
    >> like these were also served at the Britling's Cafeteria that was in
    >> the complex by Lowenstein's East. I loved eating there.

    > Britling's!!! I'd forgotten all about that place! Got some great
    > shopping deals at Lowensteins when they went out of business.
    >
    > I *remembered!* Buntyn's! Used to be over off of Hollywood & Southern
    > next to the railroad tracks. They moved to Park at White Station and
    > went way downhill from there. Used to be a real old diner with pies in
    > pie cases and those old-time red seats in front of the counter. Some
    > tables scattered here and there... and those rolls! Ooooh boy! and
    > cornbread muffins, mixed in.
    >
    > Now they've moved to Park Avenue and guess what? Can you sing the song
    > from the old 'Green Acres' TV show? "Give me Park avenue" has made this
    > place go from a wonderful home-town place to down hill, fast. Go there
    > for lunch; yes, it's packed. The food? Now it's *mediocre*. I think
    > the rolls are pre-packaged frozen these days. The corn muffins are
    > definitely not up to par. So much for relocating the business. You're
    > better off going to the CK's Coffee Shop. So sad to see a tradition go
    > downhill like that.

    Yes, I really hate seeing these old places go downhill and to the point of
    non-existence. Very sad. There used to be a little Toddle House
    restaurant on Poplar in White Station that had the best chocolate cream pie
    I've ever eaten. Long gone for many years. On one visit to Memphis in the
    late 1980s, I tracked down a Toddle House in a scary part of town, only to
    find that the chocolate cream pie was barely edible.

    For many years Stouffer's Food Corp. was based in the Cleveland, OH area
    where Vernon Stouffer made his home. All the years before Stouffer died
    there were numerous Stouffer restaurants in Cleveland and the suburbs, all
    of which served delightful food. Their decline and demise followed shortly
    after his death.

    In St. Louis there was Miss Hullings Cafeteria, a venerable institution
    with excellent food. After many decades it also eventually declined and
    died. I guess if you live a very short life you don't see this happen too
    often. :)

    --
    Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

  13. Arri London

    Arri London Guest

    "[email protected]" wrote:

    > Arri London wrote:
    > > Anyone have a tried and true recipe for those very soft dinner rolls?
    > > Have tried a few recipes from the cookbooks we have inherited but the
    > > rolls are just too 'bready' instead of soft and fluffy.
    > >
    > > My mother likes them and I'm trying to get as many calories into her as
    > > poss LOL.
    > >
    > > TIA

    > I think these are a development of commercial bakeries where all types
    > of chemicals, (yes, I know that everything is made of chemicals, and
    > that all chemicals are naturally occuring, ie: dough conditioners), are
    > added to the dough for texture and preservation, but I've never tasted
    > a truly homemade bread that had the texture and flavor of the soft
    > stuff you're talking about.
    >
    > I don't think you can make these at home w/o purchasing sacksful of
    > commercial products. Buy the rolls at a supermarket. You'll get what
    > you want and save money.

    But will also be getting a lot of chemicals that aren't really necessary
    to anyone's diet LOL.
    Thanks anyway.

  14. Arri London

    Arri London Guest

    TY! They sound good. Much more sugar than the recipes we've already
    tried.

    > YES YES and did I say YES?! These are from the 1978 Good Housekeeping
    > Cookbook. Wonderful, soft, tasty prep ahead yeast rolls. Ready? Here you
    > go!
    >
    > Refrigerator Rolls
    >
    > 6 - 6-1/2 c. all purpose flour
    > 1/2 c. sugar
    > 2 tsp. salt
    > 2 pkgs. active dry yeast
    > 1/2 c. butter, softened
    > 2 c. very warm water
    > 1 large egg
    > vegetable oil
    > melted butter
    >
    > Early in the day or up to 1 WEEK ahead:
    >
    > 1. In a large bowl, combine 2-1/4 cups flour, sugar, salt & yeast. Add
    > butter. With mixer at low speed, gradually pour in two cups hot tap water
    > (120F). Add egg, increase speed to medium and beat 2 minutes, occasionally
    > scraping the bowl with a rubber spatula. Beat in 3/4 c. flour or enough to
    > make a thick batter; continue beating 2 minutes. With a spoon, stir in
    > enough additional flour (about 2-1/2 cups) to make a soft dough.
    >
    > 2. Turn dough onto a lightly floured board and knead until smooth and
    > elastic, about 10 minutes. Shape into a ball and place in a large greased
    > bowl, turning to grease the entire round of dough. Cover with a towel and
    > let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
    >
    > 3. Punch down dough. Turn the dough over and brush with oil. Cover bowl
    > tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate, punching down occasionally, until
    > ready to bake.
    >
    > About 2 hours before serving:
    >
    > Step 4: Remove dough from refrigerator. Grease a 15X10 pan (I use a turkey
    > open roasting pan for this). Cut the dough into 30 equal pieces and shape
    > into balls and place in the pan. Cover the pan with towels and let the
    > dough rise in a warm place until doubled about 1-1/2 hours.
    >
    > 5. Preheat oven to 425F. Bake the rolls 15-20 minutes until golden brown.
    > Brush with melted butter. Remove rolls from pan and serve immediately.
    >
    > Makes 2-1/2 dozen rolls. And they are YUMMY!
    >
    > Jill

  15. Arri London

    Arri London Guest

    aem wrote:

    > Arri London wrote:
    > > Anyone have a tried and true recipe for those very soft dinner rolls?
    > > Have tried a few recipes from the cookbooks we have inherited but the
    > > rolls are just too 'bready' instead of soft and fluffy.
    > >
    > > My mother likes them and I'm trying to get as many calories into her as
    > > poss LOL.
    > >

    > How about Parker House Rolls? They've been popular since the 1850's.
    > Here's a recipe:
    > http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/102605
    >
    > My recollection is that melted butter on the top before baking helps
    > keep them soft. -aem

    TY! That's true; probably have a Parker House recipe for them
    somewhere.

  16. BobSlo

    BobSlo Guest

    Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    > On Fri 20 Jan 2006 10:31:46p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it jmcquown?
    >

    >>Arri London wrote:
    >>
    >>>Anyone have a tried and true recipe for those very soft dinner rolls?
    >>>Have tried a few recipes from the cookbooks we have inherited but the
    >>>rolls are just too 'bready' instead of soft and fluffy.
    >>>
    >>>My mother likes them and I'm trying to get as many calories into her
    >>>as poss LOL.
    >>>
    >>>TIA

    >>YES YES and did I say YES?! These are from the 1978 Good Housekeeping
    >>Cookbook. Wonderful, soft, tasty prep ahead yeast rolls. Ready? Here
    >>you go!
    >>
    >>Refrigerator Rolls
    >>
    >>6 - 6-1/2 c. all purpose flour
    >>1/2 c. sugar
    >>2 tsp. salt
    >>2 pkgs. active dry yeast
    >>1/2 c. butter, softened
    >>2 c. very warm water
    >>1 large egg
    >>vegetable oil
    >>melted butter
    >>
    >>Early in the day or up to 1 WEEK ahead:
    >>
    >>1. In a large bowl, combine 2-1/4 cups flour, sugar, salt & yeast. Add
    >>butter. With mixer at low speed, gradually pour in two cups hot tap
    >>water (120F). Add egg, increase speed to medium and beat 2 minutes,
    >>occasionally scraping the bowl with a rubber spatula. Beat in 3/4 c.
    >>flour or enough to make a thick batter; continue beating 2 minutes.
    >>With a spoon, stir in enough additional flour (about 2-1/2 cups) to make
    >>a soft dough.
    >>
    >>2. Turn dough onto a lightly floured board and knead until smooth and
    >>elastic, about 10 minutes. Shape into a ball and place in a large
    >>greased bowl, turning to grease the entire round of dough. Cover with a
    >>towel and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
    >>
    >>3. Punch down dough. Turn the dough over and brush with oil. Cover
    >>bowl tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate, punching down
    >>occasionally, until ready to bake.
    >>
    >>About 2 hours before serving:
    >>
    >>Step 4: Remove dough from refrigerator. Grease a 15X10 pan (I use a
    >>turkey open roasting pan for this). Cut the dough into 30 equal pieces
    >>and shape into balls and place in the pan. Cover the pan with towels
    >>and let the dough rise in a warm place until doubled about 1-1/2 hours.
    >>
    >>5. Preheat oven to 425F. Bake the rolls 15-20 minutes until golden
    >>brown. Brush with melted butter. Remove rolls from pan and serve
    >>immediately.
    >>
    >>Makes 2-1/2 dozen rolls. And they are YUMMY!

    > These sound wonderful! Two questions, Jill... Once baked, do the rolls
    > freeze well? Do you think one could successfully make half a recipe?
    >
    > Thanks!

    This is a recipe I have used for over forty years and it is very
    versatile. I use it for crescent rolls, Pecan caramel rolls, cinnamon
    rolls, etc.

    Yes, the rolls will freeze very well, I don't know if the recipe will
    work if cut in half but it does double and triple very well.

    I usually will cut the sugar to just a couple of tablespoons unless I am
    going to keep the dough in the refrigerator for several days or I am
    using it for caramel rolls

    Later,
    BobSlo

  17. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    "Arri London" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "[email protected]" wrote:
    >>
    >> Arri London wrote:
    >> > Anyone have a tried and true recipe for those very soft dinner rolls?
    >> > Have tried a few recipes from the cookbooks we have inherited but the
    >> > rolls are just too 'bready' instead of soft and fluffy.
    >> >
    >> > My mother likes them and I'm trying to get as many calories into her as
    >> > poss LOL.
    >> >
    >> > TIA

    >> I think these are a development of commercial bakeries where all types
    >> of chemicals, (yes, I know that everything is made of chemicals, and
    >> that all chemicals are naturally occuring, ie: dough conditioners), are
    >> added to the dough for texture and preservation, but I've never tasted
    >> a truly homemade bread that had the texture and flavor of the soft
    >> stuff you're talking about.
    >>
    >> I don't think you can make these at home w/o purchasing sacksful of
    >> commercial products. Buy the rolls at a supermarket. You'll get what
    >> you want and save money.

    > But will also be getting a lot of chemicals that aren't really necessary
    > to anyone's diet LOL.
    > Thanks anyway.

    My grandmother made bread once a week. (They grew and ground their own
    wheat.) One pan made that day and eaten that day was soft rolls, sky high
    over the square pan. You broke them apart, still warm, and they were
    probably as soft as a Wonderbread; however just about as tasty as you can
    get. She never let me get near her in the kitchen, so I have no idea how
    they were made, but the bread and rolls every week came from the same
    recipe -- in her head. I would venture to say that there was milk (from the
    cows) and butter (churned from the milk). She used cake yeast.
    I believe it is possible to make a roll of this kind today. I've seen a
    recipe similar in a WV Hillbilly or White Trash Cooking type of cookbook;
    but if you look around, I'll bet you can find a soft bread receipe that you
    can make into soft rolls.
    Dee Dee

  18. On Sat 21 Jan 2006 08:17:40p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it BobSlo?

    > Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    >> On Fri 20 Jan 2006 10:31:46p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
    >> jmcquown?

    >>>YES YES and did I say YES?! These are from the 1978 Good Housekeeping
    >>>Cookbook. Wonderful, soft, tasty prep ahead yeast rolls. Ready? Here
    >>>you go!
    >>>
    >>>Refrigerator Rolls
    >>>
    >>>6 - 6-1/2 c. all purpose flour
    >>>1/2 c. sugar
    >>>2 tsp. salt
    >>>2 pkgs. active dry yeast
    >>>1/2 c. butter, softened
    >>>2 c. very warm water
    >>>1 large egg
    >>>vegetable oil
    >>>melted butter
    >>>
    >>>Early in the day or up to 1 WEEK ahead:
    >>>
    >>>1. In a large bowl, combine 2-1/4 cups flour, sugar, salt & yeast.
    >>>Add butter. With mixer at low speed, gradually pour in two cups hot
    >>>tap water (120F). Add egg, increase speed to medium and beat 2
    >>>minutes, occasionally scraping the bowl with a rubber spatula. Beat in
    >>>3/4 c. flour or enough to make a thick batter; continue beating 2
    >>>minutes. With a spoon, stir in enough additional flour (about 2-1/2
    >>>cups) to make a soft dough.
    >>>
    >>>2. Turn dough onto a lightly floured board and knead until smooth and
    >>>elastic, about 10 minutes. Shape into a ball and place in a large
    >>>greased bowl, turning to grease the entire round of dough. Cover with
    >>>a towel and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
    >>>
    >>>3. Punch down dough. Turn the dough over and brush with oil. Cover
    >>>bowl tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate, punching down
    >>>occasionally, until ready to bake.
    >>>
    >>>About 2 hours before serving:
    >>>
    >>>Step 4: Remove dough from refrigerator. Grease a 15X10 pan (I use a
    >>>turkey open roasting pan for this). Cut the dough into 30 equal pieces
    >>>and shape into balls and place in the pan. Cover the pan with towels
    >>>and let the dough rise in a warm place until doubled about 1-1/2 hours.
    >>>
    >>>5. Preheat oven to 425F. Bake the rolls 15-20 minutes until golden
    >>>brown. Brush with melted butter. Remove rolls from pan and serve
    >>>immediately.
    >>>
    >>>Makes 2-1/2 dozen rolls. And they are YUMMY!

    >> These sound wonderful! Two questions, Jill... Once baked, do the
    >> rolls freeze well? Do you think one could successfully make half a
    >> recipe?
    >>
    >> Thanks!
    >>

    > This is a recipe I have used for over forty years and it is very
    > versatile. I use it for crescent rolls, Pecan caramel rolls, cinnamon
    > rolls, etc.
    >
    > Yes, the rolls will freeze very well, I don't know if the recipe will
    > work if cut in half but it does double and triple very well.
    >
    > I usually will cut the sugar to just a couple of tablespoons unless I am
    > going to keep the dough in the refrigerator for several days or I am
    > using it for caramel rolls
    >
    > Later,
    > BobSlo

    Thank you! I'll certainly keep the variations in mind. As I was reading
    the recipe it struck me that it was similar to many coffeecake or sweet
    roll type doughs.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

  19. Curly Sue

    Curly Sue Guest

    On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 16:12:18 -0700, Arri London <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Anyone have a tried and true recipe for those very soft dinner rolls?
    >Have tried a few recipes from the cookbooks we have inherited but the
    >rolls are just too 'bready' instead of soft and fluffy.
    >
    >My mother likes them and I'm trying to get as many calories into her as
    >poss LOL.
    >
    >TIA

    Look for recipes with egg, and/or shortening. I haven't tried Crisco
    but I heard it works well for soft and fluffy. Milk helps too. Brush
    the tops with butter before baking. Put the rolls fairly close
    together so they merge while baking.

    Sue(tm)

  20. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    Arri London wrote:
    > TY! They sound good. Much more sugar than the recipes we've already
    > tried.

    Surprisingly, the rolls don't taste sweet.

    Jill