Request for Advice-Long Post

B

BobB

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0027_01C3FAFC.5F1CC750 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-
Encoding: quoted-printable

Greetings Cycling Friends. In about 1992-1993 I purchased a good = quality hybrid bike . It is a
Raleigh Olympian. It has an aluminum = frame, good quality Shimano components, rapid fire shifter,
etc. The = bike shop offered me a deal on an in stock model, with a 23 inch size. = I am 6' 0" and
it was a stretch. I rode it for a couple of years, but = kept hitting a wall of cramps at about 40
miles. Turned out I was = diabetic, and I stopped riding for a while for health reasons, and =
because I got very busy with the kids. I think the odometer on the = cyclocomputer reads under a
thousand miles, it never turned over. It = was never crashed and looks very good.=20

A couple of years ago I tried to start riding again, but the size of the = bike combined with the
pounding of the road gave me a prostrate = infection.=20

I have recently learned about the new "comfort" bikes that seem like = they would be better suited
for my mid fifties overweight self. I = looked at one last week, but the bike shop wasn't
interested in giving = me any trade in on the Raleigh. The local paper has no ads for bikes, = so
that would be fruitless. I live in south central Ohio, and the = largest city north of here had no
bike ads in last Sunday's Classifieds = either. I looked at E-bay, and there weren't many there
other than a = few suspicious ads. I guess because shipping is a headache. The local = shop did
tell me that they would professionally pack it for shipping, if = I found a buyer somewhere, if I
bought a bike from them.

Some nice converted rail trails have been built locally, and I think = riding them would be good
exercise for me.=20
=20
As I recall, I paid about $450. for it, so I hate to just let it set and = gather dust.=20

Any advice from this knowledgeable group would be appreciated.=20

Thanks,

BobB ------=_NextPart_000_0027_01C3FAFC.5F1CC750 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-
Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> <META http-equiv=3DContent-
Type content=3D"text/html; = charset=3Diso-8859-1"> <META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1400"
name=3DGENERATOR> <STYLE></STYLE> </HEAD> <BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Greetings Cycling Friends. = In about=20 1992-1993 I
purchased a good quality hybrid bike . It is a Raleigh =

Olympian. It has an aluminum frame, good quality Shimano components, = rapid fire=20 shifter,
etc. The bike shop offered me a deal on an in stock = model, with a=20 23 inch size. I
am 6' 0" and it was a stretch. I rode = it for a=20 couple of years, but kept hitting a
wall of cramps at about 40 = miles. =20 Turned out I was diabetic, and I stopped riding for a
while for health = reasons,=20 and because I got very busy with the kids. I think the odometer on
the=20 cyclocomputer reads under a thousand miles, it never turned over. = It was=20 never
crashed and looks very good. </FONT></DIV>
<DV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DVI><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>A couple of years ago I tried to start = riding=20 again, but the
size of the bike combined with the pounding of the road = gave me a=20 prostrate
infection. </FONT></DIV>
<DVII><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DVIII><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I have recently learned about the new = "comfort"=20 bikes that
seem like they would be better suited for my mid fifties = overweight=20 self. I looked
at one last week, but the bike shop wasn't = interested=20 in giving me any trade in on
the Raleigh. The local paper has no = ads for=20 bikes, so that would be
fruitless. I live in south central Ohio, = and the=20 largest city north of here had no
bike ads in last Sunday's Classifieds=20 either. I looked at E-bay, and there weren't
many there = other than a=20 few suspicious ads. I guess because shipping is a
headache. = The local=20 shop did tell me that they would professionally pack it for
shipping, if = I found=20 a buyer somewhere, if I bought a bike from them.</FONT></DIV>
<DIX><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DX><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Some nice converted rail trails = have been=20 built
locally, and I think riding them would be good exercise for=20
me. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2> </FONT></DIV>
<DV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>As I recall, I paid about $450. for it, = so I hate=20 to just
let it set and gather dust. </FONT></DIV>
<DVI><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DVII><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Any advice from this knowledgeable = group would be=20
appreciated. </FONT></DIV>
<DVIII><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DIX><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Thanks,</FONT></DIV>
<DX><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DXI><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>BobB</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0027_01C3FAFC.5F1CC750--

> In about 1992-1993 I purchased a good quality hybrid bike. It is a Raleigh Olympian. It has an
> aluminum frame, good quality Shimano components, rapid fire shifter, etc.

Sounds like the Technium, a very good bike.

> the bike shop wasn't interested in giving me any trade in on the Raleigh.

It's hard for a shop to unload a ten-year-old bike.

> I paid about $450. for it, so I hate to just let it set and gather dust.

You shouldn't expect to sell it for any more than $100, just because of its age. The bicycle market
is strongly driven by technological advances, so it won't be easy to find a buyer for old
technology.