Request for advice please

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by The Rifleman, Feb 28, 2004.

  1. The Rifleman

    The Rifleman Guest

    Hi Folks, I have a friend who is going on a 250 mile sponsored cycle ride along the nile in Egypt,
    can you folks advise of suitable kit, clothing, tools, extras, hints etc that may make her adventure
    a safe and pleasant one.

    I myself was thinking about a water filter straw, micro tool kit, camel bac water bottle system,
    personal medical kit, personal dental kit etc etc. I am fairly well experienced in survival
    techniques for European environments but I must admit I know little about cycling in desert
    conditions.

    Can you folks advise on the above and also suggest any useful reading material and perhaps any
    sponsers we can find as the ride to to raise funds for a medical system.

    Regards to all on UK Rec Cycling

    Steve

    Tags:

  2. >Hi Folks, I have a friend who is going on a 250 mile sponsored cycle ride along the nile in Egypt,
    >can you folks advise of suitable kit, clothing, tools, extras, hints etc that may make her
    >adventure a safe and pleasant one.

    Well, the cyclist author, Josie Dew, has a list of all the equipment she takes with her when she's
    off one one of her long jaunts around the world - so having a peek at that could be useful. She's
    been doing it a long time, so she should know what she's doing by now :)

    Cheers, helen s

  3. Doki

    Doki Guest

    "The Rifleman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi Folks, I have a friend who is going on a 250 mile sponsored cycle ride along the nile in Egypt,
    > can you folks advise of suitable kit, clothing, tools, extras, hints etc that may make her
    > adventure a safe and pleasant one.
    >
    > I myself was thinking about a water filter straw, micro tool kit, camel
    bac
    > water bottle system, personal medical kit, personal dental kit etc etc. I
    am
    > fairly well experienced in survival techniques for European environments
    but
    > I must admit I know little about cycling in desert conditions.

    What's a water filter straw? I'd get hold of some water purifying tablets from the army surplus too.
    I'd also be quite tempted to take a load of army instant tea to stop myself getting tea withdrawal
    symptoms ;).

  4. The Rifleman

    The Rifleman Guest

    > What's a water filter straw? I'd get hold of some water purifying tablets from the army surplus
    > too. I'd also be quite tempted to take a load of
    army
    > instant tea to stop myself getting tea withdrawal symptoms ;).
    >
    > a water filter straw is exactly that its a tube about as long as a
    dtrinking straw but a bit thicker it has IIRC an activated charcoal and silver filter media that
    kills just about everything nasty you can get, its like a Katadyn that got shrunk, she will need
    puritabs to treat the water in her Camel Bac water system but when she is not riding she can safely
    drink untreated water using the straw

  5. Nobody760

    Nobody760 Guest

  6. > I'd also be quite tempted to take a load of army instant tea to stop myself getting tea withdrawal
    > symptoms ;).

    Please don't - it really isn't tea (and have you tasted their squash? - yeauch!) Fortunately the
    coffee is so loaded with caffeine one doesn't mind the taste. The biggest gripe I had was the
    biscuits - I could never remember which one was meant to stop you going, and which started you
    off again!

  7. Mark

    Mark Guest

    "The Rifleman" wrote ...
    > Hi Folks, I have a friend who is going on a 250 mile sponsored cycle ride along the nile in Egypt,
    > can you folks advise of suitable kit, clothing, tools, extras, hints etc that may make her
    > adventure a safe and pleasant one.
    >
    > I myself was thinking about a water filter straw, micro tool kit, camel
    bac
    > water bottle system, personal medical kit, personal dental kit etc etc. I
    am
    > fairly well experienced in survival techniques for European environments
    but
    > I must admit I know little about cycling in desert conditions.
    >
    > Can you folks advise on the above and also suggest any useful reading material and perhaps any
    > sponsers we can find as the ride to to raise
    funds
    > for a medical system.
    >
    > Regards to all on UK Rec Cycling
    >
    > Steve

    Instead of (or in addition to) the water filter straw I would suggest a pump type water purifier
    such as the the Katadyn or PUR. One of these cold be shared by two or more people to reduce weight.
    Advantage of the purifier is that one can fill several water containers fairly quickly, either for
    cooking / washing up or to carry as drinking water for the next few hours. Purification tablets take
    a while to take effect, which is annoying at best, and straws are a fairly slow way of quenching
    one's thirst. Many purifiers have long enough intake hoses that they can be used to pump water up
    from spots that would otherwise be difficult to reach.
    --
    mark

  8. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    "mark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Instead of (or in addition to) the water filter straw I would suggest a pump type water purifier
    > such as the the Katadyn or PUR.

    Never mind the filters, just pack the Imodium ;-)

    Tony

  9. The Rifleman

    The Rifleman Guest

    > Instead of (or in addition to) the water filter straw I would suggest a
    pump
    > type water purifier such as the the Katadyn or PUR. One of these cold be shared by two or more
    > people to reduce weight. Advantage of the purifier
    is
    > that one can fill several water containers fairly quickly, either for cooking / washing up or to
    > carry as drinking water for the next few hours. Purification tablets take a while to take effect,
    > which is annoying at
    best,
    > and straws are a fairly slow way of quenching one's thirst. Many purifiers have long enough
    > intake hoses that they can be used to pump water up from spots that would otherwise be difficult
    > to reach.
    > --
    > mark
    >
    > Agree, that makes perfect sense, there are 100 riders going as far as I am
    aware, most of whom have never met before, but the Kat filter would make more sense if shared.
    Regards Steve

  10. The Rifleman

    The Rifleman Guest

    "Mark Thompson" <[email protected] (change warm for hot)>