Request for Help/Advice/Suggestions Regarding Bike Fit

GaryT

Guest
Hi,
I've been looking at the Cannondale Road Warrior - a 2004 model. I've been
very deliberate about finding a bike that fits my usage and this one seems
to be the bike. However, there is one area in which I've received so much
conflicting information - bike fit -, I have no idea how to proceed now.

I thought doing a FitKit fitting would provide the answer. However, it's
only served to confuse the issue more. It seems every LBS has a different
idea on which size Road Warrior fits me. Same bike, different
recommendations. I don't want to pull the trigger until I'm sure of the
proper fit.

I'm hoping some of the vast experience here may be able to confirm one of
the fitting recommendations; or, steer me in the right direction.

My fitting information provided by FitKit is below:

Height: 6'3"
Weight: 185 lbs.
Flexibility: Reduced (degenerative joint disease)
Age: 39
Pre-existing conditions and needs: Left Hip Total Hip Replacement. Reduced
flexibility due to degenerative joint condition.

Foot Length: 29.0 cm
Inseam: 94.0 cm
Thigh Length: 44.0 cm
Torso Length: 59.5 cm
Arm Length: 67.0 cm
Shoulder Width: 43.0 cm
Hand Size: Large

FitKit Recommendations:
Cockpit Combination: 70.0 cm
Saddle-to-stem Drop: 5.0 cm (rec. +/- 10.0 cm)
Saddle-to-peddle Starting Distance: 101.1 cm
Handlebar Width: 52.0 cm

One additional piece of information: The top of the form says "Quick Fit,"
and below my name says "New Mountain Bicycle." I'm not buying a Mountain
Bicycle, and don't know if this matters or not. I'm wondering if it was
used since I'm fitting for a bicycle that is more upright?

The LBS that did this sells Specialized bikes. They used a Specialized
Sirrus as the bike to which the fitting would be applied, and came up with
an XL frame. Or, to put numbers to it, 21"/62 cm.

There were other dimensions on the fitting sheet, but none of the others had
values filled in. (i.e. Stem Angle, Stem Length, Stand Over Height, Seat
Tube, Top Tube, etc...)

If anyone has a knowledge of this fitting system or just bike fit in
general, I would be very appreciative. It's been a very frustrating
process.

Thanks,
GT

"DRS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "GaryT" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>
> [...]
>
> > If anyone has a knowledge of this fitting system or just bike fit in
> > general, I would be very appreciative. It's been a very frustrating
> > process.

> For the sake of the exercise go to
> http://www.wrenchscience.com/WS1/Secure/Fitting/Height.asp and plug your
> numbers in.

Thanks for the link. I took measurements as dictated by the formula - with
a little help - and the results were extremely close to the FitKit
recommendations.

My problem is the difference in how companies size their bikes and how
things like standover height come into play along with the other
measurements.

I have a Diamondback Hybrid that is a 21" frame. I have maybe an inch or
just over clearance over the top tube. On some bikes I've tested, a 21" -
according to the LBS - has three- to three-and-a-half inches clearance.
Should I disregard this as long as I can get a saddle-to-pedal distance that
works as far as leg extension goes? Or, are there other considerations that
may come along with a frame with less standover height?

This is where I'm getting tons of conflicting information. Who would have
thought - read, "I never knew..." - bike fit would be so complicated?

Thanks Again,
Gary

> I thought doing a FitKit fitting would provide the answer. However, it's
> only served to confuse the issue more. It seems every LBS has a different
> idea on which size Road Warrior fits me. Same bike, different
> recommendations. I don't want to pull the trigger until I'm sure of the
> proper fit.

Check out this article on our website-
www.ChainReaction.com/roadbiketestrides.htm- and try out a bit set up the
way that the FitKit recommends and see how it feels. Changing stems isn't a
big deal; if a bike shop won't swap out the stem for a test ride, I'd try a
different shop.

The most important thing is that you feel relaxed. You'll be doing long
miles on it (if it's the right bike) and you don't want to feel like you're
all bent out of shape trying to fit the bike. Don't let somebody tell you
you've got to get down low on the bars if you find that uncomfortable.
Aerodynamics be darned; if the bike's not comfortable, it's not going to get
ridden! And besides, it's not too expensive getting a different stem down
the road, if you want to get more aggressive.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
IMBA, BikesBelong, NBDA member

GaryT wrote:
> "DRS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>"GaryT" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>news:[email protected]
>>
>>[...]
>>

>>>If anyone has a knowledge of this fitting system or just bike fit in
>>>general, I would be very appreciative. It's been a very frustrating
>>>process.

>>For the sake of the exercise go to
>>http://www.wrenchscience.com/WS1/Secure/Fitting/Height.asp and plug your
>>numbers in.
>>

> Thanks for the link. I took measurements as dictated by the formula - with
> a little help - and the results were extremely close to the FitKit
> recommendations.
>
> My problem is the difference in how companies size their bikes and how
> things like standover height come into play along with the other
> measurements.
>
> I have a Diamondback Hybrid that is a 21" frame. I have maybe an inch or
> just over clearance over the top tube. On some bikes I've tested, a 21" -
> according to the LBS - has three- to three-and-a-half inches clearance.
> Should I disregard this as long as I can get a saddle-to-pedal distance that
> works as far as leg extension goes? Or, are there other considerations that
> may come along with a frame with less standover height?
>
> This is where I'm getting tons of conflicting information. Who would have
> thought - read, "I never knew..." - bike fit would be so complicated?
>
> Thanks Again,
> Gary

don't know if this helps, but my mtb is 22", and my pedal to saddle
height is exactly 1" longer than yours, so in that respect, your 21"er
seems about right.

"Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction Bicycles" <[email protected]> wrote
in message news:[email protected]...

> Check out this article on our website-
> www.ChainReaction.com/roadbiketestrides.htm- and try out a bit set up the
> way that the FitKit recommends and see how it feels. Changing stems isn't

> big deal; if a bike shop won't swap out the stem for a test ride, I'd try

> different shop.
>
> The most important thing is that you feel relaxed. You'll be doing long
> miles on it (if it's the right bike) and you don't want to feel like

you're
> all bent out of shape trying to fit the bike. Don't let somebody tell you
> you've got to get down low on the bars if you find that uncomfortable.
> Aerodynamics be darned; if the bike's not comfortable, it's not going to

get
> ridden! And besides, it's not too expensive getting a different stem down
> the road, if you want to get more aggressive.
>
> --Mike Jacoubowsky
> Chain Reaction Bicycles
> www.ChainReaction.com
> IMBA, BikesBelong, NBDA member

Thanks for the reply and the link.(very nice site) I appreciate it.

--
Gary

"GaryT" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi,
> I've been looking at the Cannondale Road Warrior - a 2004 model. I've been
> very deliberate about finding a bike that fits my usage and this one seems
> to be the bike. However, there is one area in which I've received so much
> conflicting information - bike fit -, I have no idea how to proceed now.
>
> I thought doing a FitKit fitting would provide the answer. However, it's
> only served to confuse the issue more. It seems every LBS has a different
> idea on which size Road Warrior fits me. Same bike, different
> recommendations. I don't want to pull the trigger until I'm sure of the
> proper fit.

For my money, there are only 2 important dimensions: toptube length and
seattube angle. If you get those right, you can tweak everything else. No fit
kit can tell you what your ideal saddle to bar drop (or rise) should be,
that's all personal preference, ditto for bar width. Knowing your desired
saddle to bar drop, you can avoid buying a frame that would require awkward
stems or risers to get the bar height you want. A wrong toptube length is a
disaster. You can fudge around it by sizing stem reach & saddle position, but
that screws up weight distribution and steering response. Seattube angle sets
the angle of the hips for a given bar drop. Generally, if you want your bars
really low, you want a steep seattube angle or else you'll be too closed at
the hip. The only dimension the fit kit needs to really help you with is
toptube length, that, and your personal preference for bar height determine
almost everything else.