Request for info - Food events

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Bubba, Jan 6, 2006.

  1. Bubba

    Bubba Guest

    Hey gang, I'm trying to put together a list of food events in the US.
    I've Googled and come up with a good compilation but most are the larger
    events. If you know of a food event in your area that you think might
    be too small or obscure to get noticed, I'd appreciate the name of it
    and any contact info you might have.

    Thanks in advance.

    Bubba
    --
    You wanna measure or you wanna cook?

    Tags:

  2. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    Bubba wrote:
    > Hey gang, I'm trying to put together a list of food events in the US.
    > I've Googled and come up with a good compilation but most are the
    > larger events. If you know of a food event in your area that you
    > think might be too small or obscure to get noticed, I'd appreciate
    > the name of it and any contact info you might have.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Bubba

    How about the Greek Festival and the Italian Festival in Memphis? Are they
    on your list? Mentions of them are buried in this article which is mostly
    about Memphis in May & the BBQ contest associated with it. Also mentioned
    is a Crawfish Festival held in the spring. There's a contact number at the
    top of the page; maybe they have more info.

    http://www.memphisnewsbureau.org/newsroom/000203.html

    Jill

  3. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    jmcquown wrote:
    > Bubba wrote:
    >> Hey gang, I'm trying to put together a list of food events in the US.
    >> I've Googled and come up with a good compilation but most are the
    >> larger events. If you know of a food event in your area that you
    >> think might be too small or obscure to get noticed, I'd appreciate
    >> the name of it and any contact info you might have.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance.
    >>
    >> Bubba

    > How about the Greek Festival

    http://www.memphistravel.com/press_greekfest05.asp

    Jill

  4. The Cook

    The Cook Guest

    On Fri, 06 Jan 2006 10:04:54 GMT, Bubba <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Hey gang, I'm trying to put together a list of food events in the US.
    >I've Googled and come up with a good compilation but most are the larger
    >events. If you know of a food event in your area that you think might
    >be too small or obscure to get noticed, I'd appreciate the name of it
    >and any contact info you might have.
    >
    >Thanks in advance.
    >
    >Bubba

    You might try linking to sites like this.
    http://www.greek-fest.com/greekfest.shtml
    --
    Susan N.

  5. SD

    SD Guest

    Bubba wrote:
    > Hey gang, I'm trying to put together a list of food events in the US.
    > I've Googled and come up with a good compilation but most are the larger
    > events. If you know of a food event in your area that you think might
    > be too small or obscure to get noticed, I'd appreciate the name of it
    > and any contact info you might have.

    West Coast Oyster Shucking Championship and Washington State Seafood
    Festival - aka Oysterfest (Shelton, WA) http://www.oysterfest.org/

    The Bremerton Blackberry Festival (Bremerton, WA)
    http://www.blackberryfestival.org/

    SD

  6. Bubba <[email protected]> looking for trouble wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Hey gang, I'm trying to put together a list of food events in the US.
    > I've Googled and come up with a good compilation but most are the larger
    > events. If you know of a food event in your area that you think might
    > be too small or obscure to get noticed, I'd appreciate the name of it
    > and any contact info you might have.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Bubba

    2 of my very favorite food festivals in St. Louis occur in my old
    neighborhood. I lived in the Central West End for 20 years. While I no
    longer live there; I still enjoy these festivals.

    Taste of The Central West End (around June)
    The Greek Festival (Labor Day Weekend)

    Here is a short blurb on them
    http://www.explorestlouis.com/neighborhoods/cwe.asp?PageType=4

    Don't bother trying to pry a recipe out of the people providing the food at
    the Greek Festival. They would rather rip out their tongues and chop off
    their fingers than reveal a recipe.

    I am sure there are other small foodie events but I can't think of them
    right now.

    Of course there is always Strassenfest but it's huge and you probably
    already know about it. Strassenfest is in August and the food is provided
    by our German community.

    Michael

    --
    ....Bacteria: The rear entrance to a cafeteria.

    All gramatical errors and misspellings due to Ramsey the cyber kitten. He
    now owns all keyboards and computing devices in the household and has the
    final say on what is, or is not, posted.
    Send email to dog30 at charter dot net

  7. D.Currie

    D.Currie Guest

    "Bubba" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hey gang, I'm trying to put together a list of food events in the US. I've
    > Googled and come up with a good compilation but most are the larger
    > events. If you know of a food event in your area that you think might be
    > too small or obscure to get noticed, I'd appreciate the name of it and any
    > contact info you might have.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Bubba
    > --
    > You wanna measure or you wanna cook?

    There's an Italian festival in Maywood Park IL, and the Taste of Polonia in
    Chicago.

  8. In article <[email protected]>,
    Bubba <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Hey gang, I'm trying to put together a list of food events in the US.
    > I've Googled and come up with a good compilation but most are the larger
    > events. If you know of a food event in your area that you think might
    > be too small or obscure to get noticed, I'd appreciate the name of it
    > and any contact info you might have.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Bubba

    Here, in my part of California, we have the Pear Fair in Courtland, the
    Crawfish Festival in Isleton, the Asparagus Festival in Stockton, the
    Italian Picnic in Sutter Creek, the Croatian Extravaganza in Sacramento,
    a Greek food fair in Sacramento, and an Japanese food festival at a
    Buddhist church in Sacramento. Better known are the Gilroy Garlic
    festival and the Castroville Artichoke festival. Although not food
    related, I thought I should mention the Fog festival in Pacifica and the
    Poison Oak festival in Columbia.

    D.M.

  9. In article <[email protected]>,
    Bubba <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Hey gang, I'm trying to put together a list of food events in the US.
    > I've Googled and come up with a good compilation but most are the larger
    > events. If you know of a food event in your area that you think might
    > be too small or obscure to get noticed, I'd appreciate the name of it
    > and any contact info you might have.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Bubba

    Have you got the Food and Wine Expo in Minneapolis - end of February, I
    think.
    --
    http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 1-3-2006, Sam I Am! and Hello!

  10. In article <[email protected]>,
    Donald Martinich <[email protected]> wrote:

    I forgot to mention the Calamari festival in Santa Cruz. I think i
    remember something about a melon festival in Firebaugh.

    D.M.

    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > Bubba <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Hey gang, I'm trying to put together a list of food events in the US.
    > > I've Googled and come up with a good compilation but most are the larger
    > > events. If you know of a food event in your area that you think might
    > > be too small or obscure to get noticed, I'd appreciate the name of it
    > > and any contact info you might have.
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance.
    > >
    > > Bubba

    > Here, in my part of California, we have the Pear Fair in Courtland, the
    > Crawfish Festival in Isleton, the Asparagus Festival in Stockton, the
    > Italian Picnic in Sutter Creek, the Croatian Extravaganza in Sacramento,
    > a Greek food fair in Sacramento, and an Japanese food festival at a
    > Buddhist church in Sacramento. Better known are the Gilroy Garlic
    > festival and the Castroville Artichoke festival. Although not food
    > related, I thought I should mention the Fog festival in Pacifica and the
    > Poison Oak festival in Columbia.
    >
    > D.M.

  11. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    Bubba wrote:
    > Hey gang, I'm trying to put together a list of food events in the US.
    > I've Googled and come up with a good compilation but most are the
    > larger events. If you know of a food event in your area that you
    > think might be too small or obscure to get noticed, I'd appreciate
    > the name of it and any contact info you might have.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Bubba

    Oh, I forgot about the Ripley, TN Tomato Festival! These are some of the
    best, absolutely the best, vine ripened tomatoes ever!

    http://www2.state.tn.us/agriculture/onlineinfo/Marketing.asp?QSTRING=DETAIL&SCREEN=TFE&DISPLAY=1119

    http://tinyurl.com/8n2a8

    Next festival is this summer, dates to be determined (I suppose by the
    weather)

    Jill

  12. Joy

    Joy Guest

    > Bubba wrote:
    >> Hey gang, I'm trying to put together a list of food events in the US.
    >> I've Googled and come up with a good compilation but most are the
    >> larger events. If you know of a food event in your area that you
    >> think might be too small or obscure to get noticed, I'd appreciate
    >> the name of it and any contact info you might have.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance.
    >>
    >> Bubba

    > Oh, I forgot about the Ripley, TN Tomato Festival! These are some of the
    > best, absolutely the best, vine ripened tomatoes ever!
    >
    > http://www2.state.tn.us/agriculture/onlineinfo/Marketing.asp?QSTRING=DETAIL&SCREEN=TFE&DISPLAY=1119
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/8n2a8
    >
    > Next festival is this summer, dates to be determined (I suppose by the
    > weather)
    >
    > Jill

    The Cornbread Festival in South Pittsburg, TN! Joy

  13. Jude

    Jude Guest

    The Fiery Foods Show at the Albuquewrque Convention Center in NM every
    February. My favorite food show ever!

  14. sueb

    sueb Guest

    Donald Martinich wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > Bubba <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Hey gang, I'm trying to put together a list of food events in the US.
    > > I've Googled and come up with a good compilation but most are the larger
    > > events. If you know of a food event in your area that you think might
    > > be too small or obscure to get noticed, I'd appreciate the name of it
    > > and any contact info you might have.
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance.
    > >
    > > Bubba

    > Here, in my part of California, we have the Pear Fair in Courtland, the
    > Crawfish Festival in Isleton, the Asparagus Festival in Stockton, the
    > Italian Picnic in Sutter Creek, the Croatian Extravaganza in Sacramento,
    > a Greek food fair in Sacramento, and an Japanese food festival at a
    > Buddhist church in Sacramento. Better known are the Gilroy Garlic
    > festival and the Castroville Artichoke festival. Although not food
    > related, I thought I should mention the Fog festival in Pacifica and the
    > Poison Oak festival in Columbia.

    Don't forget Mushroom MardiGras in Morgan Hill and the Brussel Sprouts
    Festival in Santa Cruz.
    The San Francisco PBS station usually has an ice cream social as a fund
    raiser.
    There are several food and wine festivals in Napa and Sonoma county,
    some associated with wine auctions.
    San Jose Greek festival, Italian festival, Lunar New Year (Chinese,
    Vietnamese, Japanese), and Moon festival all involve food but have
    other aspects as well.

    Susan B.

  15. sueb

    sueb Guest

    Donald Martinich wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > Bubba <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Hey gang, I'm trying to put together a list of food events in the US.
    > > I've Googled and come up with a good compilation but most are the larger
    > > events. If you know of a food event in your area that you think might
    > > be too small or obscure to get noticed, I'd appreciate the name of it
    > > and any contact info you might have.
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance.
    > >
    > > Bubba

    > Here, in my part of California, we have the Pear Fair in Courtland, the
    > Crawfish Festival in Isleton, the Asparagus Festival in Stockton, the
    > Italian Picnic in Sutter Creek, the Croatian Extravaganza in Sacramento,
    > a Greek food fair in Sacramento, and an Japanese food festival at a
    > Buddhist church in Sacramento. Better known are the Gilroy Garlic
    > festival and the Castroville Artichoke festival. Although not food
    > related, I thought I should mention the Fog festival in Pacifica and the
    > Poison Oak festival in Columbia.
    >
    > D.M.

  16. Jude

    Jude Guest

    What's with google today?

    We'll try this for a third time.......

    Best foodie event ever - the Fiery Foods Show ( we used to call it the
    Fiery Foods Fiesta just for the alliterative fun of it) in Albuquerque
    NM every February. You'll get a good endorphin buzz there, I promise!

  17. On Sun 08 Jan 2006 07:33:51p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it sueb?

    > Donald Martinich wrote:
    >> In article <[email protected]>,
    >> Bubba <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> > Hey gang, I'm trying to put together a list of food events in the US.
    >> > I've Googled and come up with a good compilation but most are the
    >> > larger events. If you know of a food event in your area that you
    >> > think might be too small or obscure to get noticed, I'd appreciate
    >> > the name of it and any contact info you might have.
    >> >
    >> > Thanks in advance.
    >> >
    >> > Bubba

    >> Here, in my part of California, we have the Pear Fair in Courtland, the
    >> Crawfish Festival in Isleton, the Asparagus Festival in Stockton, the
    >> Italian Picnic in Sutter Creek, the Croatian Extravaganza in
    >> Sacramento, a Greek food fair in Sacramento, and an Japanese food
    >> festival at a Buddhist church in Sacramento. Better known are the
    >> Gilroy Garlic festival and the Castroville Artichoke festival. Although
    >> not food related, I thought I should mention the Fog festival in
    >> Pacifica and the Poison Oak festival in Columbia.
    >>
    >> D.M.

    Peach Festival - Queen Creek, AZ
    Corn Festival - North Ridgeville, OH

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*

  18. Puester

    Puester Guest

    sueb wrote:
    > Donald Martinich wrote:
    >
    >>In article <[email protected]>,
    >> Bubba <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Hey gang, I'm trying to put together a list of food events in the US.
    >>>I've Googled and come up with a good compilation but most are the larger
    >>>events. If you know of a food event in your area that you think might
    >>>be too small or obscure to get noticed, I'd appreciate the name of it
    >>>and any contact info you might have.
    >>>
    >>>Thanks in advance.
    >>>
    >>>Bubba

    >>Here, in my part of California, we have the Pear Fair in Courtland, the
    >>Crawfish Festival in Isleton, the Asparagus Festival in Stockton, the
    >>Italian Picnic in Sutter Creek, the Croatian Extravaganza in Sacramento,
    >>a Greek food fair in Sacramento, and an Japanese food festival at a
    >>Buddhist church in Sacramento. Better known are the Gilroy Garlic
    >>festival and the Castroville Artichoke festival. Although not food
    >>related, I thought I should mention the Fog festival in Pacifica and the
    >>Poison Oak festival in Columbia.
    >>
    >>D.M.

    There is/used to be an avocado festival in Fallbrook, CA
    and an apple/apple pie festival in Julian.

    I have also attended a scallop festival in New Bedford/Fairhaven, MA.

    gloria p

  19. Wayne wrote:

    >>> Here, in my part of California, we have the Pear Fair in Courtland, the
    >>> Crawfish Festival in Isleton, the Asparagus Festival in Stockton, the
    >>> Italian Picnic in Sutter Creek, the Croatian Extravaganza in
    >>> Sacramento, a Greek food fair in Sacramento, and an Japanese food
    >>> festival at a Buddhist church in Sacramento. Better known are the
    >>> Gilroy Garlic festival and the Castroville Artichoke festival. Although
    >>> not food related, I thought I should mention the Fog festival in
    >>> Pacifica and the Poison Oak festival in Columbia.
    >>>
    >>> D.M.

    > Peach Festival - Queen Creek, AZ
    > Corn Festival - North Ridgeville, OH

    Peach Festival - Marysville, CA
    Strawberry Festival - Wheatland, CA (but there are similar ones everywhere)
    "Dried Plum" (a.k.a. prune) Festival - Yuba City, CA
    Eggplant Festival - Loomis, CA

    Bob

  20. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    There's a big garlic festival in Saugerties, NY.

    NJ has tomato, cranberry and various seafood festivals, of course,
    I don't know which are the good ones, I never went. Sorry.

    nancy