Request low-carb recipes for diabetes

Katra <[email protected]> wrote in news:KatraMungBean-
[email protected]:

> my A1C is 2.6.

Way too low! 3.9mmol is where a diabetic coma can start. That's where
you run outa glucose (required food for ALL your body/brain cells). No
food no live.

Something ain't right either Find a New lab or get a Better meter.

A A1C is the average per centage count of Blood Glucose over 120 days
about 7% higher than a random BG meter reading (which can be 10% plus
inaccurate). Home or personal BG meters aren't that accurate.

Important testing times are: upon awakening in the morning before eating
anything (called fasting), just before any meal and 1 and 2 hours after a
meal (called 1PP and 2PP). The before meals gives you a starting
point. The 1PP and 2PP show/chart how your blood glucose are reacting to
the food you ate. Too high/too fast and you NEED to exercise to burn it
off. Too low/too fast and you need glucose (sugar). 7.8 mmol or 140 mg/dl
is where permenent damage is being done to your body, so avoid going over
that number. Try hard.

And below 3.9 mmol (70mg/dl) you'll feel like **** and be very weak. You
won't like it at all. Not at all pleasant.

Your 1PP and 2PP also can help you remove dangerous foods that spike your
BG levels from your diet. These dangerous foods vary from person to
person. Some have better resistance than others to carb overloads from
certain food types. Nobody reacts the same. You need to find your own
foods and your own carb limits.

I find rice (a favorite food) is now a thing of the past as it used to
spike me bad. Same with flour, white bread, potatoes and also corn
products. Tomatoes,Onions and carrots spike me but I just restrict my
consumtion of those as the spikes aren't as high and portion control
reduces the spike.

I suspect I'll be lower/better on my next A1C test as I'm getting high
in the 4's mmol readings all this month due to weight loss and light
exercise. To convert mmol (like 2.6) to mg/dl (like 90) multiply by
18.06.

'Normal' people rarely leave the 5's mmol (80-110 mg/dl).

Type 2 diabetes is 'THE' new killer plague, very few people who have it
know that they have it. IIRC it was discovered in the 50's. 10's of
Millions have it. It is estimated 1 in 10 people have type 2 diabetes.

I ain't a doctor but what I do works for me.

Type 2 Diabetic 1AC 5.6mmol or 101mg/dl
Continuing to be Manitoban

In article <[email protected]>,
Damsel in dis Dress <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 18:02:11 -0600, Katra <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> >My fasting is only 90 and my A1C is 2.6.

> 2.6? Holy cow! The lowest I've ever gotten mine was 5.0. I'll use your
> results as inspiration, if you wouldn't mind.
>
> Carol

:)

Remember, it usually takes around 2 months to change an A1C as that is
approx. how long your red blood cells live if I recall correctly?

I've been trying very hard to low carb now for about 3 years...
I'm pretty good most of the time. The worst thing I did last year was a
couple of pieces of apple pie over the holidays.

It bugs me that I'm still having problems with insulin resitance. :p
Maybe if I can get the weight off, that will improve? <sigh>

Kat (who needs to get her tail back to the gym...)
--
K.

Sprout the MungBean to reply

"I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell--you
see, I have friends in both places." --Mark Twain

In article <[email protected]>,
Thelma Lubkin <[email protected]> wrote:

> Damsel in dis Dress <[email protected]> wrote:
> : On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 18:02:11 -0600, Katra <[email protected]>
> : wrote:
>
> :>My fasting is only 90 and my A1C is 2.6.
>
> : 2.6? Holy cow! The lowest I've ever gotten mine was 5.0. I'll use your
> : results as inspiration, if you wouldn't mind.
>
> 2.6 is a misprint: 4.0 is approximately equivalent to an
> *average*--not fasting, blood glucose reading of 65. 2.6
> and you'd be fighting for your life.
> --thelma

Maybe at your lab... :)
I was just at the doctors today.
I re-checked the results with her.

2.6 is mid-range normal at this lab.

4.0 is borderline high.
--
K.

Sprout the MungBean to reply

"I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell‹you
see, I have friends in both places." --Mark Twain

In article <[email protected]>,
Katra <[email protected]> wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> Damsel in dis Dress <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 18:02:11 -0600, Katra <[email protected]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > >My fasting is only 90 and my A1C is 2.6.

> > 2.6? Holy cow! The lowest I've ever gotten mine was 5.0. I'll use your
> > results as inspiration, if you wouldn't mind.
> >
> > Carol

Oops! My bad! Thelma was right...
I was talking to the doctor about my labs today as I said,
and it was my T4 that was 2.6! TSH was 10.3. We need to increase my
thyroid med. dose.

A1C was 4.6 <blush> Normal is 4.5 to 6.0. :p

Apologies!!!!!!

Kat
--
K.

Sprout the MungBean to reply

"I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell‹you
see, I have friends in both places." --Mark Twain

In article <[email protected]>,
Katra <[email protected]> wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> Thelma Lubkin <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Damsel in dis Dress <[email protected]> wrote:
> > : On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 18:02:11 -0600, Katra <[email protected]>
> > : wrote:
> >
> > :>My fasting is only 90 and my A1C is 2.6.
> >
> > : 2.6? Holy cow! The lowest I've ever gotten mine was 5.0. I'll use your
> > : results as inspiration, if you wouldn't mind.
> >
> > 2.6 is a misprint: 4.0 is approximately equivalent to an
> > *average*--not fasting, blood glucose reading of 65. 2.6
> > and you'd be fighting for your life.
> > --thelma

> Maybe at your lab... :)
> I was just at the doctors today.
> I re-checked the results with her.
>
> 2.6 is mid-range normal at this lab.
>
> 4.0 is borderline high.

EX. the above idiocy.
I was wrong...

I found the printouts she mailed to me and
they are now in my hands.

I'm an idiot, sorry! <cringe>
--
K.

Sprout the MungBean to reply

"I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell‹you
see, I have friends in both places." --Mark Twain

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 18:51:31 -0600, Damsel in dis Dress
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On 4 Feb 2005 00:37:08 GMT, Thelma Lubkin <[email protected]>
>wrote:
>
>> 2.6 is a misprint: 4.0 is approximately equivalent to an
>> *average*--not fasting, blood glucose reading of 65. 2.6
>> and you'd be fighting for your life.

>When I went to the ER last week for pneumonia, there was a woman who
>sounded like she was dying. Then she got really quiet. The doctor talked
>at length with the husband, explaining that his wife had likely just
>suffered a stroke. She couldn't talk, etc.
>
>Then the lab work came back. Her blood sugar was 30. They gave her
>glucose, and she was a new woman! Kept her overnight for observation.
>
>I know what 40 feels like, and I don't ever want to go there again.
>
>Thanks for the clarification, Thelma.
>
>Carol

I woke up in the middle of the night with 28 once. I was on prednisone
and I had serious crashes before on it, but this one was a doozy. I
woke The Hub (darling that he is about it all) and he knows exactly
what to do - pay no attention to what I say, make sure I get some
glucose tabs into me, along with juice or milk and help me keep
checking the BGs until they get above 50.

I amazed my MD with the story, until I was at her office a couple of
weeks later & told her she better get the blood work done fast, as I
was crashing. She did and it came back from the lab at 30 (I was still
on the prednisone)

(and yes, the meter is accurate)

Boron

On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 01:24:56 GMT, Hahabogus <[email protected]>
wrote:

>And below 3.9 mmol (70mg/dl) you'll feel like **** and be very weak. You
>won't like it at all. Not at all pleasant.

When I am not ill or on weird meds for anything, my normal fasting is
between 65 and 85. I do not need a meter to tell me my sugar has
reached 125. I know from my pulse/racing heartbeat.

One thing about diabetics is that TWIAVBP and no two are alike.

The HbAc is usually 5.2-5.8. If I have had a streak of prednisone,
once in while it pops to 6.0. The prednisone cause higher highs and
lower lows.

I am obsessive about control, though.

Boron

In article <[email protected]>,
Boron Elgar <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 18:51:31 -0600, Damsel in dis Dress
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >On 4 Feb 2005 00:37:08 GMT, Thelma Lubkin <[email protected]>
> >wrote:
> >
> >> 2.6 is a misprint: 4.0 is approximately equivalent to an
> >> *average*--not fasting, blood glucose reading of 65. 2.6
> >> and you'd be fighting for your life.

> >When I went to the ER last week for pneumonia, there was a woman who
> >sounded like she was dying. Then she got really quiet. The doctor talked
> >at length with the husband, explaining that his wife had likely just
> >suffered a stroke. She couldn't talk, etc.
> >
> >Then the lab work came back. Her blood sugar was 30. They gave her
> >glucose, and she was a new woman! Kept her overnight for observation.
> >
> >I know what 40 feels like, and I don't ever want to go there again.
> >
> >Thanks for the clarification, Thelma.
> >
> >Carol

> I woke up in the middle of the night with 28 once. I was on prednisone
> and I had serious crashes before on it, but this one was a doozy. I
> woke The Hub (darling that he is about it all) and he knows exactly
> what to do - pay no attention to what I say, make sure I get some
> glucose tabs into me, along with juice or milk and help me keep
> checking the BGs until they get above 50.
>
> I amazed my MD with the story, until I was at her office a couple of
> weeks later & told her she better get the blood work done fast, as I
> was crashing. She did and it came back from the lab at 30 (I was still
> on the prednisone)
>
> (and yes, the meter is accurate)
>
> Boron

We lost one of our directors a couple of years ago...
He had been a "brittle" diabetic for many years. He was 72 but was still
very active and otherwise healthy and he worked out at the local health
club regularly.

He was found face down in the jacuzzi at the health club one day,
drowned. They took him to the ER but were unable to save him.

His glucose came back 17 mg/dl. :-(

What a waste.
--
K.

Sprout the MungBean to reply

"I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell--you
see, I have friends in both places." --Mark Twain

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 19:38:39 -0600, Katra <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Oops! My bad! Thelma was right...
>I was talking to the doctor about my labs today as I said,
>and it was my T4 that was 2.6! TSH was 10.3. We need to increase my
>thyroid med. dose.
>
>A1C was 4.6 <blush> Normal is 4.5 to 6.0. :p
>
>Apologies!!!!!!

No sweat. We're all learning from each other. :)

Carol

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 19:39:58 -0600, Katra <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I'm an idiot, sorry! <cringe>

Stop That! I have spoken!

Damsel

Damsel in dis Dress <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 19:38:39 -0600, Katra <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> >Oops! My bad! Thelma was right...
> >I was talking to the doctor about my labs today as I said,
> >and it was my T4 that was 2.6! TSH was 10.3. We need to increase my
> >thyroid med. dose.
> >
> >A1C was 4.6 <blush> Normal is 4.5 to 6.0. :p
> >
> >Apologies!!!!!!

> No sweat. We're all learning from each other. :)
>
> Carol

With my T4 that low, it's a wonder I have any short term memory at all.
;-)

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Damsel in dis Dress <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 19:39:58 -0600, Katra <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> >I'm an idiot, sorry! <cringe>

> Stop That! I have spoken!
>
> Damsel

Sorry! :)
I just hate making mistakes like this in public! <lol>
It's embarassing.......

--

One time on Usenet, Thelma Lubkin <[email protected]> said:
> Damsel in dis Dress <[email protected]> wrote:
> : On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 18:02:11 -0600, Katra <[email protected]>
> : wrote:
>
> :>My fasting is only 90 and my A1C is 2.6.
>
> : 2.6? Holy cow! The lowest I've ever gotten mine was 5.0. I'll use your
> : results as inspiration, if you wouldn't mind.
>
> 2.6 is a misprint: 4.0 is approximately equivalent to an
> *average*--not fasting, blood glucose reading of 65. 2.6
> and you'd be fighting for your life.

Oh good, because I was pretty proud of my 4.9 until I read that...

--
J.J. in WA ~ mom, vid gamer, novice cook ~
"You still haven't explained why the pool is

One time on Usenet, Katra <[email protected]> said:

<snip>

> I'm an idiot, sorry! <cringe>

No, you're a human bean, just like the rest of us... :)

--

Katra wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> Damsel in dis Dress <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 19:39:58 -0600, Katra <[email protected]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > >I'm an idiot, sorry! <cringe>

> > Stop That! I have spoken!
> >
> > Damsel

> Sorry! :)
> I just hate making mistakes like this in public! <lol>
> It's embarassing.......

BTDT. Now, what *were* the real numbers?

Priscilla
--
"Just because I don't throw a hissy fit and leave on account of the
'Jesus is my boyfriend' music doesn't mean I approve of it --- it just

Katra wrote:

> Remember, it usually takes around 2 months to change an A1C as that is
> approx. how long your red blood cells live if I recall correctly?

3 months, but the A1c is weighted towards the final month.

> I've been trying very hard to low carb now for about 3 years...
> I'm pretty good most of the time. The worst thing I did last year was a
> couple of pieces of apple pie over the holidays.
>
> It bugs me that I'm still having problems with insulin resitance. :p
> Maybe if I can get the weight off, that will improve? <sigh>

Have you tried metformin? I'm finding it's helping me.

Priscilla
--

MaryL wrote:

> My doctor says that anything over 100 (fasting BG) is now considered to be
> diabetes.

Not officially. Officially a repeated fasting BG of 100-125 is
considered "prediabetes." A repeated fasting BG of >125 is considered
diabetes. However, many of us consider "prediabetes" to a
mispronunciation of "early diabetes." ;-)

Priscilla
--

"Priscilla H. Ballou" wrote:
> Katra wrote:
> > I just hate making mistakes like this in public! <lol>
> > It's embarassing.......

> BTDT. Now, what *were* the real numbers?

Never mind. I found them in another reply.

Priscilla
--

"Priscilla H. Ballou" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Katra wrote:
> >
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > Damsel in dis Dress <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Stop That! I have spoken!
> > >
> > > Damsel

> > Sorry! :)
> > I just hate making mistakes like this in public! <lol>
> > It's embarassing.......

> BTDT. Now, what *were* the real numbers?
>
> Priscilla

Well, the fasting glucose was correct, averages around 90.

The A1C was 4.6 which is borderline low.
Might have to watch out for hypoglycemia, but it
has not been a problem, probably because I avoid
sugar and fresh fruits.

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

As we go through life thinking heavy thoughts, thought particles
tend to get caught between the ears causing truth decay- so be sure
to use mental floss twice a day.

"Priscilla H. Ballou" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Katra wrote:
> >
> > Remember, it usually takes around 2 months to change an A1C as that is
> > approx. how long your red blood cells live if I recall correctly?

> 3 months, but the A1c is weighted towards the final month.
>
> > I've been trying very hard to low carb now for about 3 years...
> > I'm pretty good most of the time. The worst thing I did last year was a
> > couple of pieces of apple pie over the holidays.
> >
> > It bugs me that I'm still having problems with insulin resitance. :p
> > Maybe if I can get the weight off, that will improve? <sigh>

> Have you tried metformin? I'm finding it's helping me.
>
> Priscilla

Been on it for 4 weeks exactly. :)
Oh, thanks for reminding me!
Gotta take my morning dose.....