Request low-carb recipes for diabetes

In article <[email protected]>, "Priscilla H. Ballou"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Dan Abel wrote:

> > Are you talking about fasting bg? I thought that 140 was on the edge of
> > acceptable. Mine was 143 last time I had blood drawn, and the doctor said
> > that that was OK. Of course, I also had an A1C of 6.1, so maybe that's
> > why. I took a look at the American Diabetes Association website, and they
> > are saying that under 100 is normal, over 126 is diabetes and in between
> > is pre-diabetes.

> Yes, those are the current ranges. A repeated fasting BG of over 125
> confirms a diagnosis of diabetes. If your doctor said a fasting BG of
> 143 is "ok" then you need another doctor! And a second fasting BG test
> to confirm the diagnosis.

Doctors like the hemoglobin test better. I'm not even sure why he put the
fasting bg on there. With the hemoglobin at 6.1, he may have assumed that
the 143 was just a fluke.

> I think it's time for you to start learning. Sorry!

Well, to continue learning. In the years since I was first diagnosed
(1972), they've changed the rules a billion times. I find it hard to get
very concerned. Of course, you need to have a certain amount of concern
to get motivated to stay in control. In a diabetes management class I
took some years ago, there was a woman there who admitted to letting her
bg get over 1100! They put her in the hospital for that.

--
Dan Abel
Sonoma State University

In article <[email protected]>, Hahabogus
<[email protected]> wrote:

> [email protected] (Dan Abel) wrote in
> news:[email protected]:
>
> > Are you talking about fasting bg? I thought that 140 was on the
> > edge of acceptable. Mine was 143 last time I had blood drawn, and
> > the doctor said that that was OK. Of course, I also had an A1C of
> > 6.1, so maybe that's why.

> Get another doctor!

I like my doctor pretty well, he doesn't get excited at stuff.

> 7.0 at a 1AC is around 126 mg/dl which is the mark of the curse up
> here...in the UK 6.8mmol is. So 7.0 * 18.06= roughly 126 or 127 give or
> take.

If that math is consistent, then my 6.1 translates into 110, which isn't
too bad.

--
Dan Abel
Sonoma State University

In article <[email protected]>, Katra
<[email protected]> wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] (Dan Abel) wrote:

> > that that was OK. Of course, I also had an A1C of 6.1, so maybe that's

> It sounds to me that, if that is your FASTING BG and you have that high
> of an A1C, you are headed for type II diabetes.

Been there, done that. I was diagnosed as a type II diabetic in 1972.
And the letter with the results said 6.0 was the high end of normal. And
I'm sure that a couple of years ago 7.0 was the high end of normal (and
mine was 7.5).

> Better do something now. :-o

I'm happy with things as they are. I'm down from 2 500mg of metformin and
2 250mg of tolinase down to one tolinase a day. I lost 15 pounds in the
last year, due to walking 3 hours a day.

> My fasting is only 90 and my A1C is 2.6.

2.6? Wow! Are you sure you are alive?

:)

--
Dan Abel
Sonoma State University

Priscilla H. Ballou wrote:

> MaryL wrote:
>
>>My doctor says that anything over 100 (fasting BG) is now considered to be
>>diabetes.

> Not officially. Officially a repeated fasting BG of 100-125 is
> considered "prediabetes." A repeated fasting BG of >125 is considered
> diabetes. However, many of us consider "prediabetes" to a
> mispronunciation of "early diabetes." ;-)
>
> Priscilla

actually my understanding (being a nurse and
working with diabetics as well as at times having
non diabetics on insulin drips) is that there is
no such beast as "pre-diabetes" terminology
anymore. You either are or are not, and the cut
off level is a LOT lower than in years past. I
think the goal is to get people in range a lot
earlier now.
Goomba

In article <[email protected]>, Goomba38
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Priscilla H. Ballou wrote:

> > Not officially. Officially a repeated fasting BG of 100-125 is
> > considered "prediabetes." A repeated fasting BG of >125 is considered
> > diabetes. However, many of us consider "prediabetes" to a
> > mispronunciation of "early diabetes." ;-)

> actually my understanding (being a nurse and
> working with diabetics as well as at times having
> non diabetics on insulin drips) is that there is
> no such beast as "pre-diabetes" terminology
> anymore. You either are or are not, and the cut
> off level is a LOT lower than in years past. I

The numbers above are on the website of the American Diabetes Association,
including the "pre-diabetes" definition. Of course, every doctor is free
to come up with his/her own "official" cut off.

--
Dan Abel
Sonoma State University

[email protected] (Dan Abel) wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> In article <[email protected]>, Goomba38
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Priscilla H. Ballou wrote:

> > > Not officially. Officially a repeated fasting BG of 100-125 is
> > > considered "prediabetes." A repeated fasting BG of >125 is
> > > considered diabetes. However, many of us consider "prediabetes"
> > > to a mispronunciation of "early diabetes." ;-)

> > actually my understanding (being a nurse and
> > working with diabetics as well as at times having
> > non diabetics on insulin drips) is that there is
> > no such beast as "pre-diabetes" terminology
> > anymore. You either are or are not, and the cut
> > off level is a LOT lower than in years past. I

> The numbers above are on the website of the American Diabetes
> Association, including the "pre-diabetes" definition. Of course,
> every doctor is free to come up with his/her own "official" cut off.

Read somebody else as well,Dr Bernstien comes to mind. If I followed the
ADA program of 45 carbs per meal my BG would be a lot worse than it is.
But my heart would be healthier maybe. So I'd be legless and blind, with
nerve damage and bad kidneys but still heart smart.

Think about it too much glucose and it combines with the fats and you're
in trouble...too much glucose and too much insulin...turns the glucose
into fat...fatter you...higher BP, higher cholesterals.

What is glucose, it is converted carbs mostly, but required to live. So
let your liver convert the fats and protiens into glucose(makes your body
work harder for its sugar), reducing your weight, the strain on insulin
producing cells, and reducing the 'free floating' glucose in your system.
Glucose and fat(cholestral) make (from a diabetic class) cookie dough,
which sticks to artery walls, your retnas, and nerve cells.

Reducing the fat is what the ADA wants to do. I reduce the glucose by low
carbing....my BG is now in the low 5's and mid-range to high 4's. My
cholesteral is lower than it has been in years and my triglycerdes are
good too. I just eat fewer carbs...no portion control. I eat less,
(gradually my appetite reduced on its own) and feel better than I ever
have.

Type 2 Diabetic 1AC 5.6mmol or 101mg/dl
Continuing to be Manitoban

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 22:43:10 -0600, "MaryL"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Can anyone suggest some good (but *easy*) recipes for beef, lamb, pork or
>chicken stew or roasts?

Hi Mary,

This thread has gotten way off course. I'll post a bunch of recipes for
you. They'll be marked LC-REC. Sorry for the delay in responding.

Carol

"Damsel in dis Dress" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 22:43:10 -0600, "MaryL"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Can anyone suggest some good (but *easy*) recipes for beef, lamb, pork or
>>chicken stew or roasts?

> Hi Mary,
>
> This thread has gotten way off course. I'll post a bunch of recipes for
> you. They'll be marked LC-REC. Sorry for the delay in responding.
>
> Carol
> --
> "Years ago my mother used to say to me... She'd say,
> 'In this world Elwood, you must be oh-so smart or oh-so pleasant.'
> Well, for years I was smart.... I recommend pleasant. You may quote me."
>
> *James Stewart* in the 1950 movie, _Harvey_

Thanks, Carol. Those recipes look great! I'm going to copy all of them for
my files.

MaryL

My BG was 289 when first diagnosed in
>June 2004 but I now average 94. I do eat most of the items on your list
>(lots of fresh veggies, low fat meat, low fat cheese, eggs, nuts in
>moderation, etc.). My carbs are not *nearly* as low as what you list, but
>so far I have been doing well on this regime. My only diabetes medication
>is one 500mg Metformin ER per day. My doctor even suggested that I try
>eliminating that now and watch my meter to see if there has been any effect.
>However, I am concerned about doing that and have continued with the
>Metformin -- I want to discuss this some more at our next meeting.

if you don't eat many carbs and it does not sound like you do don't cut out too
much fat or you won't have any fuel for energy. you can't make it on low carb
and low fat.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

my body is weird in that a doc friend thinks I am glucose intolerant. as I can't
handle any carbs. I get no energy at all from any form of carb and usually have
an allergic reaction to them. though that park could be the leaky gut talking.
but I could eat a 7oz Hershey bar and get no sugar high or any extra energy from
it.
so fat and protein are my only sources of energy. (yes I was tested for
diabetes) my doc friend thinks it is weight related and as I loose weight it
may get better.
but the good thing is I have pretty much lost all my carb/junk food cravings.
when I do eat such things they don't taste like they used to. nothing thrilling
any more.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

"Steve Knight" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> My BG was 289 when first diagnosed in
>>June 2004 but I now average 94. I do eat most of the items on your list
>>(lots of fresh veggies, low fat meat, low fat cheese, eggs, nuts in
>>moderation, etc.). My carbs are not *nearly* as low as what you list, but
>>so far I have been doing well on this regime. My only diabetes medication
>>is one 500mg Metformin ER per day. My doctor even suggested that I try
>>eliminating that now and watch my meter to see if there has been any
>>effect.
>>However, I am concerned about doing that and have continued with the
>>Metformin -- I want to discuss this some more at our next meeting.

> if you don't eat many carbs and it does not sound like you do don't cut
> out too
> much fat or you won't have any fuel for energy. you can't make it on low
> carb
> and low fat.
>
> --
> Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
> Custom made wooden planes at reasonable prices
> See http://www.knight-toolworks.com For prices and ordering instructions.

This is an area where I am still learning -- trying to learn just what
balance I should try to attain. I don't have a true low carb diet, but I am
trying to restrict certain types of carbs (no flour, rice, pasta, added
sugar). However, I eat a variety of fresh fruit, which is a source of
carbs. Likewise, I am trying to eat as little saturated fat as possible,
but I do eat fat -- nuts, eggs, cheese (albeit low-fat cheese). Still, you
make a good point, and I am still trying to learn a proper balance of these
things. I use FitDay so I can see what I am eating, and I am always
surprised to see how much fat and carbs I still get (protein is always in
3rd place).

Thanks,
MaryL

>That not just carbs, hey, that sounds like junk-carbs ;) A good thing to
>eliminate anyway!

pretty much most carb sources. I can seem to handle small amounts of berries.
but sometimes two grams of carbs will get me.
I tried pure glucose and it really nailed me. worse then the cake I finally
broke down and had because of a week long craving (G)

>> but the good thing is I have pretty much lost all my carb/junk food cravings.
>> when I do eat such things they don't taste like they used to. nothing thrilling
>> any more.

>So you do eat carbs, but not junk carbs, right?

not really only if they are in foods like nuts and such. bacon is ok but I have
had problems with sausages with 3 grams of carbs or fillers. I could handle
regular national Hebrew hotdog's but not the low fat ones as they had other
things in them. a grapefruit is ok sometimes.
but since I don't get any energy it is more for nutrition.
I think it has been going on a real long time. grains have given me heartburn
most of my life.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

On Sat, 5 Feb 2005 03:01:33 -0600, "MaryL" <

>This is an area where I am still learning -- trying to learn just what
>balance I should try to attain. I don't have a true low carb diet, but I am
>trying to restrict certain types of carbs (no flour, rice, pasta, added
>sugar). However, I eat a variety of fresh fruit, which is a source of
>carbs. Likewise, I am trying to eat as little saturated fat as possible,
>but I do eat fat -- nuts, eggs, cheese (albeit low-fat cheese). Still, you
>make a good point, and I am still trying to learn a proper balance of these
>things. I use FitDay so I can see what I am eating, and I am always
>surprised to see how much fat and carbs I still get (protein is always in
>3rd place).

I think fruit and fat are ok. While I could eat fruit I did fine on the two. but
fat has a bad rep that it does not deserve. natural saturated fats are fine.
coconut oil is healthy to consume. You need to go visit
alt.support.diet.low-carb
You will get a lot of info. fats are a good source of calories and nutrition.
good fats like coconut oil nut oils olive oils butter and such and meat fats are
fine. it's the processed **** that we are told is healthy that is a problem.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

"Steve Knight" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sat, 5 Feb 2005 03:01:33 -0600, "MaryL" <
>
>>This is an area where I am still learning -- trying to learn just what
>>balance I should try to attain. I don't have a true low carb diet, but I
>>am
>>trying to restrict certain types of carbs (no flour, rice, pasta, added
>>sugar). However, I eat a variety of fresh fruit, which is a source of
>>carbs. Likewise, I am trying to eat as little saturated fat as possible,
>>but I do eat fat -- nuts, eggs, cheese (albeit low-fat cheese). Still,
>>you
>>make a good point, and I am still trying to learn a proper balance of
>>these
>>things. I use FitDay so I can see what I am eating, and I am always
>>surprised to see how much fat and carbs I still get (protein is always in
>>3rd place).

> I think fruit and fat are ok. While I could eat fruit I did fine on the
> two. but
> fat has a bad rep that it does not deserve. natural saturated fats are
> fine.
> coconut oil is healthy to consume. You need to go visit
> alt.support.diet.low-carb
> You will get a lot of info. fats are a good source of calories and
> nutrition.
> good fats like coconut oil nut oils olive oils butter and such and meat
> fats are
> fine. it's the processed **** that we are told is healthy that is a
> problem.
>
> --
> Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
> Custom made wooden planes at reasonable prices
> See http://www.knight-toolworks.com For prices and ordering instructions.

I have been reading some about this, but must admit that I am still leery of
saturated fats. I do add fats such as olive oil to my diet and have even
started to us a little butter in cooking. I also eat (and enjoy) peanut
butter, but all those years of warning about saturated fat has left an
impression on me -- I'm doing some reading, but as I said, still leery of
saturated fats (lots of heart problems in my family although I have not
shown signs so far; I do have diabetes plus high cholesterol and
triglycerides).

Thanks for the help,
MaryL

In article <[email protected]>,
Goomba38 <[email protected]> wrote:

> Priscilla H. Ballou wrote:
>
> > MaryL wrote:
> >
> >>My doctor says that anything over 100 (fasting BG) is now considered to be
> >>diabetes.

> > Not officially. Officially a repeated fasting BG of 100-125 is
> > considered "prediabetes." A repeated fasting BG of >125 is considered
> > diabetes. However, many of us consider "prediabetes" to a
> > mispronunciation of "early diabetes." ;-)

> actually my understanding (being a nurse and
> working with diabetics as well as at times having
> non diabetics on insulin drips) is that there is
> no such beast as "pre-diabetes" terminology
> anymore. You either are or are not, and the cut
> off level is a LOT lower than in years past. I
> think the goal is to get people in range a lot
> earlier now.

Not in my neck of the woods. I personally consider "prediabetes" to be
really "early diabetes" but that's not what the medicos in these parts
say. I'm in Boston, Mass.

Priscilla

--
"It is very, very dangerous to treat any human, lowest
of the low even, with contempt and arrogant whatever.

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (Dan Abel) wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>, "Priscilla H. Ballou"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Dan Abel wrote:

> > > Are you talking about fasting bg? I thought that 140 was on the edge of
> > > acceptable. Mine was 143 last time I had blood drawn, and the doctor said
> > > that that was OK. Of course, I also had an A1C of 6.1, so maybe that's
> > > why. I took a look at the American Diabetes Association website, and they
> > > are saying that under 100 is normal, over 126 is diabetes and in between
> > > is pre-diabetes.

> > Yes, those are the current ranges. A repeated fasting BG of over 125
> > confirms a diagnosis of diabetes. If your doctor said a fasting BG of
> > 143 is "ok" then you need another doctor! And a second fasting BG test
> > to confirm the diagnosis.

> Doctors like the hemoglobin test better. I'm not even sure why he put the
> fasting bg on there. With the hemoglobin at 6.1, he may have assumed that
> the 143 was just a fluke.

In the US, A1c is not considered diagnostic.

Priscilla

--

Priscilla Ballou <[email protected]> wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] (Dan Abel) wrote:
>
> > In article <[email protected]>, "Priscilla H. Ballou"
> > <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Yes, those are the current ranges. A repeated fasting BG of over 125
> > > confirms a diagnosis of diabetes. If your doctor said a fasting BG of
> > > 143 is "ok" then you need another doctor! And a second fasting BG test
> > > to confirm the diagnosis.

> > Doctors like the hemoglobin test better. I'm not even sure why he put the
> > fasting bg on there. With the hemoglobin at 6.1, he may have assumed that
> > the 143 was just a fluke.

> In the US, A1c is not considered diagnostic.
>
> Priscilla

Depends on how up to date your doctor is. ;-)

The Endocrinologist I am seeing uses it almost exclusively for
diagnosing diabetes or hypoglycemia... The old GTT is pretty well gone
bye bye except for catching early gestational diabetes. I only see they
OB-Gyn's doing them now.

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

As we go through life thinking heavy thoughts, thought particles
tend to get caught between the ears causing truth decay- so be sure
to use mental floss twice a day.

Katra <[email protected]> wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> Priscilla Ballou <[email protected]> wrote:

> > In the US, A1c is not considered diagnostic.

> Depends on how up to date your doctor is. ;-)
>
> The Endocrinologist I am seeing uses it almost exclusively for
> diagnosing diabetes or hypoglycemia... The old GTT is pretty well gone
> bye bye except for catching early gestational diabetes. I only see they
> OB-Gyn's doing them now.

In the US, it's fasting BG which is used for diagnosis for the most
part. Repeated fasting BG of over 125 = formal diagnosis of DM.

Prsicilla