Request low-carb recipes for diabetes

>I have been reading some about this, but must admit that I am still leery of
>saturated fats. I do add fats such as olive oil to my diet and have even
>started to us a little butter in cooking. I also eat (and enjoy) peanut
>butter, but all those years of warning about saturated fat has left an
>impression on me -- I'm doing some reading, but as I said, still leery of
>saturated fats (lots of heart problems in my family although I have not
>shown signs so far; I do have diabetes plus high cholesterol and
>triglycerides).

the media has really done a number on us. they like to blame all of our bad
cholesterol on our fats. but they are starting to find it is not so.
I have trouble getting enough fat because I was so hyped about low fat for so
long.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

>I can't tolerate grains either, hey. I like seeds though.
>
>So what can you/do you eat?

well right now meats and cheese (I can only handle cows milk) nuts some veggies
like onions garlic tomatoes cauliflower broccoli green beans cabbage and such.
eggs. I can't handle cream cheese and only somewhat cream. anything with milk
products I will react to.
I react to strange things too I can have diet pop but not plain carbonated
water. yellow mustard but not the powdered stuff. all of the supplements that
would help leaky gut I react too. even over the counter meds. I could not handle
much splenda in the powdered form though the liquid is fine.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

In article <[email protected]>, Katra
<[email protected]> wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> Priscilla Ballou <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > [email protected] (Dan Abel) wrote:

> > > Doctors like the hemoglobin test better. I'm not even sure why he put the
> > > fasting bg on there. With the hemoglobin at 6.1, he may have assumed that
> > > the 143 was just a fluke.

> > In the US, A1c is not considered diagnostic.

I'm not sure what that means. If it means exactly what it says, than it
isn't applicable, because I was diagnosed with diabetes in 1972. The
concern now is control of the diabetes.

> Depends on how up to date your doctor is. ;-)

> The Endocrinologist I am seeing uses it almost exclusively for
> diagnosing diabetes or hypoglycemia... The old GTT is pretty well gone

I thought it was gone decades ago if you are referring to the glucose
tolerance test, aka the glucose torture test. I think I took it three
times. I loved watching the little graph they drew afterwards, but the
test itself was pretty horrible.

For those who have never heard of it, the gtt consists of fasting for 12
hours and then getting a blood and urine sample. Immediately after that
you consume 100g (about a quarter pound) of pure glucose. Then you get
another blood and urine sample at 1/2 and then one hour, then every hour
after that.

After taking the test three times (about a year apart), my doctor
announced that they didn't do that test anymore, and they went to the two
hours after eating blood test. Now they don't do that one anymore, and
they do fasting tests. Who knows what will come next?

--
Dan Abel
Sonoma State University

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (Dan Abel) wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>, Katra
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > Priscilla Ballou <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > In the US, A1c is not considered diagnostic.

> I'm not sure what that means. If it means exactly what it says, than it
> isn't applicable, because I was diagnosed with diabetes in 1972. The
> concern now is control of the diabetes.
>

> > Depends on how up to date your doctor is. ;-)

> > The Endocrinologist I am seeing uses it almost exclusively for
> > diagnosing diabetes or hypoglycemia... The old GTT is pretty well gone

> I thought it was gone decades ago if you are referring to the glucose
> tolerance test, aka the glucose torture test. I think I took it three
> times. I loved watching the little graph they drew afterwards, but the
> test itself was pretty horrible.

I agree!!! I had it back when I was in high school in the 70's!

> For those who have never heard of it, the gtt consists of fasting for 12
> hours and then getting a blood and urine sample. Immediately after that
> you consume 100g (about a quarter pound) of pure glucose. Then you get
> another blood and urine sample at 1/2 and then one hour, then every hour
> after that.

4 hours is usually the max.

And yes, it makes you feel like ****. :p If you are hypoglycemic, you
generally pass out. ;-)

> After taking the test three times (about a year apart), my doctor
> announced that they didn't do that test anymore, and they went to the two
> hours after eating blood test. Now they don't do that one anymore, and
> they do fasting tests. Who knows what will come next?

That's not entirely true... The 2 hr. PP was more popular for awhile,
but most docs now seem to do just a fasting BG and the A1C.

But, the GTT is STILL used by OB-GYN's! We still do them all the time in
our lab. They use it to diagnose gestational diabetes in pregnant women.

The 2 hr. PP is more common, but there are still a few baby docs that
prefer the GTT.

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

As we go through life thinking heavy thoughts, thought particles
tend to get caught between the ears causing truth decay- so be sure
to use mental floss twice a day. -- Swami Beyondanada