require help re-assembling sl-m510 rapidfire shifter

My rear mech cable snapped off within the shimano shifter pod. It was
so badly frayed that the cable node(?) could not be removed via the
normal procedure (inner hole cover on lever side of pod).

Therefore, I've been forced to almost completely disassemble the
shifter to remove it. Unfortunately, I didn't pay enough attention to
the assembly and am slightly lost (okay, almost completely lost).

I had hoped shimano would have an exploded view of a disassembled
part... they have one of the shifter with it's outer casing removed but
that's it.

I'm trying to avoid a trip to the cycle shop - any advice would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

[email protected] wrote:
> My rear mech cable snapped off within the shimano shifter pod. It was
> so badly frayed that the cable node(?) could not be removed via the
> normal procedure (inner hole cover on lever side of pod).

Same thing happened to me (at far point in ride, naturally!). Not sure mine
was as frayed as yours, but I couldn't get my "nodule" thing out, either. I
managed to install a new cable and I /think/ I might have poked it out, but
it also could be rattling around in there. Main thing is it shifts fine, so
I'll leave it alone.

> Therefore, I've been forced to almost completely disassemble the
> shifter to remove it. Unfortunately, I didn't pay enough attention to
> the assembly and am slightly lost (okay, almost completely lost).

You may be screwed. Everything I've read on here indicates that they're not
"user serviceable".

> I had hoped shimano would have an exploded view of a disassembled
> part... they have one of the shifter with it's outer casing removed
> but that's it.
>
> I'm trying to avoid a trip to the cycle shop - any advice would be
> greatly appreciated.

If you can get it back together, try installing a new cable and see if it
works. Otherwise, shop time (for repair OR a new shifter)...

Also, someone who actually knows something will reply soon, so there's that
:)

Sorni

Thanks Sorni.

Sounds like you've got my luck - that's unfortunate.

Going to try my hand (and patience) this evening at putting the little
monster back together. If I have any success I'll report back.
Otherwise, I'll just spend my entire Saturday evening swearing my head
off and wishing I had sucked it up and immediately ran crying to the
bike shop.

Adam