research shows cancer caused by carbohydrates

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by TC, Dec 23, 2004.

  1. TC

    TC Guest

    http://www.newstarget.com/001812.html

    Monday, December 20, 2004 commentary:
    New research shows cancer caused by carbohydrates, sugars, white flour,
    and corn syrup
    A new study published in the journal Cancer Epidemiology, Mile Markers,
    and Prevention is presenting evidence of the link between the
    consumption of refined carbohydrates and cancer. This case-controlled
    study looked at the dietary habits of over 1,800 women in Mexico, and
    found that those who got 57% or more of their total energy intake from
    carbohydrates showed a 220% higher risk of breast cancer than women
    with more balanced diets.

    This study shows that foods with high glycemic index values -- that is,
    foods that more quickly raise blood sugar levels in the human body --
    actually accelerate the growth of cancer cells and tumors in the human
    body. Researchers involved with the study propose that the correlation
    between the consumption of refined carbohydrates and breast cancer
    could be related to elevated levels of insulin and the fact that many
    breast cancer tumors are encouraged and supported by high levels of
    insulin in the body.

    To anyone who has read some of the books about sugar, refined
    carbohydrates, low carb dieting, or even my own book, called Low carb
    Diet Warning, none of this should be a surprise. We in the holistic
    nutrition world have long known that the consumption of processed
    carbohydrates actually causes cancer, and not just breast cancer,
    either. It actually promotes many forms of cancer, including colon
    cancer. Thankfully, new scientific evidence is now appearing that
    supports these notions.

    But many people in the general public still do not know that consuming
    refined carbohydrates causes cancer, and thus they continue to drink
    soft drinks containing high-fructose corn syrup, they continue to eat
    breakfast cereals loaded with sugars and corn syrup, and they continue
    to eat large amounts of white flour in products like pancakes, breads,
    pastries, cookies, and crackers, oblivious to the idea that they are
    actually giving themselves cancer.

    Once again, we see that preventing cancer comes down to dietary choice.
    One of the easiest things a person can do to prevent cancer, based on
    this research, is to avoid all processed carbohydrates. That means
    eliminating from your diet refined white flour, refined white sugar,
    milled grains, and ingredients like high-fructose corn syrup. These
    ingredients are all man-made or artificially processed ingredients that
    are not normally found in nature. You don't find refined white sugar
    growing in the sugar cane fields. You don't see white flour growing on
    wheat grass stalks in the field. Instead, you see whole grains growing
    in nature, and it is these whole grains that should be consumed by
    human beings if they wish to attain a high degree of health.

    This research also indicates why low carb dieters and people following
    the Atkins diet may be doing themselves a huge favor in terms of
    disease prevention. Avoiding processed carbohydrates reduces your risk
    of being diagnosed with cancer. Unfortunately, many low carb dieters,
    as you may know, end up consuming other cancer-causing ingredients that
    are present in many low carb foods. Those ingredients can include
    sodium nitrite, monosodium glutamate, and artificial chemical
    sweeteners such as aspartame, also known as NutraSweet.

    So, the real story here is to avoid processed carbohydrates as much as
    you can. At the same time, avoid chemical additives that are found in
    processed foods, especially artificial sweeteners and chemical taste
    enhancers. The foods that you should be consuming to support
    outstanding human health are the same ones we've been talking about
    here for years, and those are natural foods found in nature, such as
    whole grains, nuts, seeds, vegetables, fruits, and healthy oils.
    ********

    TC

    Tags:

  2. TC

    TC Guest

    "consumption of processed carbohydrates actually causes cancer"

    Did you even read the article?

    In the US, anyone who eats 57% or more of their diets as carbs gets
    most of it from processed and refined carb sources.

    And in India, even with the carbs being less refined and less processed
    than in the US, heart disease is very high, as much as triple the norm,
    among vegetarian HIndus.

    TC

  3. "TC" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "consumption of processed carbohydrates actually causes cancer"
    >
    > Did you even read the article?
    >
    > In the US, anyone who eats 57% or more of their diets as carbs gets
    > most of it from processed and refined carb sources.
    >
    > And in India, even with the carbs being less refined and less processed
    > than in the US, heart disease is very high, as much as triple the norm,
    > among vegetarian HIndus.
    >
    > TC

    Modern dietery habits coupled with sedentary habits have
    contributed a lot towards increase in cardio vascular
    problems , diabetes and hypertension . These were relatively
    low 50 years back .

    Kam

  4. ""consumption of processed carbohydrates actually causes cancer"

    Did you even read the article?

    In the US, anyone who eats 57% or more of their diets as carbs gets
    most of it from processed and refined carb sources.

    And in India, even with the carbs being less refined and less processed
    than in the US, heart disease is very high, as much as triple the norm,"

    Thank you for correcting yourself in part, here is a more complete version
    of your self correction as based on research; consuming of processed carbs
    is correlated with increased potential risk of cancer. Because it is a
    chicken and egg thing, actual cause can not be demonstrated and some other
    factors might in fact be the cause that is found most often with those who
    consume large amounts of processed carbs. It is possible that living in
    poverty increases exposure to some unrelated to nutrition cause that also
    goes with carb consumption because poor people can only afford inexpensive
    carbs as a major paort of their diet.

    In india the increase, a doubling not tribleing, of heart disease rate is
    among those who have higher incomes, eat more and higher obesity, and are
    far more less physically active. I nthose areas where the percentage of
    carbs eaten is the same but obesity is not common and physical activity
    high, the rate is very low. This is also the pattern in the e. asia food
    tradition area where around 75 percent of the diet is carbs, mostly in the
    form of rice and other steamed grains and noodles.

  5. TC wrote:
    > "consumption of processed carbohydrates actually causes cancer"
    >
    > Did you even read the article?

    Did you even read the subject line? The article was not about carbohydrates,
    but about certain refined carbohydrates. I agree that they should be
    avoided or eliminated, but the subject line is just plain wrong. I eat
    plenty of carbohydrates, and the study said nothing bad about them.