research shows cancer caused by carbohydrates

TC

Guest
http://www.newstarget.com/001812.html

Monday, December 20, 2004 commentary:
New research shows cancer caused by carbohydrates, sugars, white flour,
and corn syrup
A new study published in the journal Cancer Epidemiology, Mile Markers,
and Prevention is presenting evidence of the link between the
consumption of refined carbohydrates and cancer. This case-controlled
study looked at the dietary habits of over 1,800 women in Mexico, and
found that those who got 57% or more of their total energy intake from
carbohydrates showed a 220% higher risk of breast cancer than women
with more balanced diets.

This study shows that foods with high glycemic index values -- that is,
foods that more quickly raise blood sugar levels in the human body --
actually accelerate the growth of cancer cells and tumors in the human
body. Researchers involved with the study propose that the correlation
between the consumption of refined carbohydrates and breast cancer
could be related to elevated levels of insulin and the fact that many
breast cancer tumors are encouraged and supported by high levels of
insulin in the body.

To anyone who has read some of the books about sugar, refined
carbohydrates, low carb dieting, or even my own book, called Low carb
Diet Warning, none of this should be a surprise. We in the holistic
nutrition world have long known that the consumption of processed
carbohydrates actually causes cancer, and not just breast cancer,
either. It actually promotes many forms of cancer, including colon
cancer. Thankfully, new scientific evidence is now appearing that
supports these notions.

But many people in the general public still do not know that consuming
refined carbohydrates causes cancer, and thus they continue to drink
soft drinks containing high-fructose corn syrup, they continue to eat
breakfast cereals loaded with sugars and corn syrup, and they continue
to eat large amounts of white flour in products like pancakes, breads,
pastries, cookies, and crackers, oblivious to the idea that they are
actually giving themselves cancer.

Once again, we see that preventing cancer comes down to dietary choice.
One of the easiest things a person can do to prevent cancer, based on
this research, is to avoid all processed carbohydrates. That means
eliminating from your diet refined white flour, refined white sugar,
milled grains, and ingredients like high-fructose corn syrup. These
ingredients are all man-made or artificially processed ingredients that
are not normally found in nature. You don't find refined white sugar
growing in the sugar cane fields. You don't see white flour growing on
wheat grass stalks in the field. Instead, you see whole grains growing
in nature, and it is these whole grains that should be consumed by
human beings if they wish to attain a high degree of health.

This research also indicates why low carb dieters and people following
the Atkins diet may be doing themselves a huge favor in terms of
disease prevention. Avoiding processed carbohydrates reduces your risk
of being diagnosed with cancer. Unfortunately, many low carb dieters,
as you may know, end up consuming other cancer-causing ingredients that
are present in many low carb foods. Those ingredients can include
sodium nitrite, monosodium glutamate, and artificial chemical
sweeteners such as aspartame, also known as NutraSweet.

So, the real story here is to avoid processed carbohydrates as much as
you can. At the same time, avoid chemical additives that are found in
processed foods, especially artificial sweeteners and chemical taste
enhancers. The foods that you should be consuming to support
outstanding human health are the same ones we've been talking about
here for years, and those are natural foods found in nature, such as
whole grains, nuts, seeds, vegetables, fruits, and healthy oils.
********

TC

"consumption of processed carbohydrates actually causes cancer"

Did you even read the article?

In the US, anyone who eats 57% or more of their diets as carbs gets
most of it from processed and refined carb sources.

And in India, even with the carbs being less refined and less processed
than in the US, heart disease is very high, as much as triple the norm,
among vegetarian HIndus.

TC

"TC" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> "consumption of processed carbohydrates actually causes cancer"
>
> Did you even read the article?
>
> In the US, anyone who eats 57% or more of their diets as carbs gets
> most of it from processed and refined carb sources.
>
> And in India, even with the carbs being less refined and less processed
> than in the US, heart disease is very high, as much as triple the norm,
> among vegetarian HIndus.
>
> TC

Modern dietery habits coupled with sedentary habits have
contributed a lot towards increase in cardio vascular
problems , diabetes and hypertension . These were relatively
low 50 years back .

Kam

""consumption of processed carbohydrates actually causes cancer"

Did you even read the article?

In the US, anyone who eats 57% or more of their diets as carbs gets
most of it from processed and refined carb sources.

And in India, even with the carbs being less refined and less processed
than in the US, heart disease is very high, as much as triple the norm,"

Thank you for correcting yourself in part, here is a more complete version
of your self correction as based on research; consuming of processed carbs
is correlated with increased potential risk of cancer. Because it is a
chicken and egg thing, actual cause can not be demonstrated and some other
factors might in fact be the cause that is found most often with those who
consume large amounts of processed carbs. It is possible that living in
poverty increases exposure to some unrelated to nutrition cause that also
goes with carb consumption because poor people can only afford inexpensive
carbs as a major paort of their diet.

In india the increase, a doubling not tribleing, of heart disease rate is
among those who have higher incomes, eat more and higher obesity, and are
far more less physically active. I nthose areas where the percentage of
carbs eaten is the same but obesity is not common and physical activity
high, the rate is very low. This is also the pattern in the e. asia food
tradition area where around 75 percent of the diet is carbs, mostly in the
form of rice and other steamed grains and noodles.

TC wrote:
> "consumption of processed carbohydrates actually causes cancer"
>
> Did you even read the article?

Did you even read the subject line? The article was not about carbohydrates,
but about certain refined carbohydrates. I agree that they should be
avoided or eliminated, but the subject line is just plain wrong. I eat
plenty of carbohydrates, and the study said nothing bad about them.