Resolutions for the New Year?

"wafflycat" <w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Steph Peters" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>

>> Slightly less simple:
>> * continue eating less (75 pounds lost last year, 45 more to go)

> Well done you on the weight loss. I'm currently standing at over 80lbs
> lost since mid-Feb 07 and only have a few more to go. I don't make
> resolutions, but it is my plan to keep up with the cycling - pootling
> distances (up to 200km) and to do some 10-mile time trials.

I'm most impressed with the weigh losses. I know the secret is to eat
less and to move more but I end up moving more and eating more.

Right, I shall move even more and eat no more (than usual)

I'd be most chuffed if I could shed 75 - 80 lbs.. There's a lot of clothes
that would get their first airing in a long time.....

In article <[email protected]>, Steph Peters
<[email protected]> writes

>* continue eating less (75 pounds lost last year, 45 more to go)

Congratulations, Steph. That's very impressive.

>* continue swimming as well as cycling

Do you find the crawl doesn't strain your knees (I mentioned in a post
elsewhere that the breast stroke kick might do)?

I enjoy swimming crawl using a pull buoy - no kicking required! However
I also do several lengths just kicking and holding on to a kick board.
--
congokid
Eating out in London? Read my tips...

"vernon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "wafflycat" <w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> "Steph Peters" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>

>>> Slightly less simple:
>>> * continue eating less (75 pounds lost last year, 45 more to go)

>> Well done you on the weight loss. I'm currently standing at over 80lbs
>> lost since mid-Feb 07 and only have a few more to go. I don't make
>> resolutions, but it is my plan to keep up with the cycling - pootling
>> distances (up to 200km) and to do some 10-mile time trials.

> I'm most impressed with the weigh losses. I know the secret is to eat
> less and to move more but I end up moving more and eating more.

Actually, I eat rather more than I used to. I just eat exceedingly healthily
with very, very low fat being the main thing. If you don't eat enough, your
metabolism will slow down. You need to get enough fuel in to keep the
metabolism high.

vernon wrote:
> Mine are simple -
>
> * eat less
> * move more
> * do a 300
>
> I've started today - honest!
>
> Tomorrow I'm planning to ride a 25 mile loop from Reeth to Tan Hill
> via Langthwaite and back via Keld and Low Row. It'll be a battle to
> restrict myself to just one pint in the Tan Hill ;-)

To keep my miles vs date graph for 2008 above that for 2007.

Also looking at doing a few more audaxes early on in the year. I have my
eye on a 100/150/200/300 series.

Lose a bit more weight - 7kg down on this time last year, and keep up with
the shoulder exercises which the physio gave me last spring

--

Nigel

"Nigel Randell" <nigel_randell@_1.web> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> vernon wrote:
>> Mine are simple -
>>
>> * eat less
>> * move more
>> * do a 300
>>
>> I've started today - honest!
>>

> To keep my miles vs date graph for 2008 above that for 2007.

I've managed that but only just. My planned schedule should ensure that
this will be the case for 2008.

> Also looking at doing a few more audaxes early on in the year. I have my
> eye on a 100/150/200/300 series.

Got three under my belt since the start of the Audax year. Hope to get the
100/150/200/300 series too - the sticking point wil be the 300..

> Lose a bit more weight - 7kg down on this time last year, and keep up with
> the shoulder exercises which the physio gave me last spring

Weight - hah!

I should have shed lots of blubber with the amount of cycling that I did
last year but I over compensated on the pie front. Stand pies are *bad* :-(

Vernon

congokid <[email protected]> of none wrote:
>Do you find the crawl doesn't strain your knees (I mentioned in a post
>elsewhere that the breast stroke kick might do)?

Can't say I notice a difference. The physio assured me that in my case
breast stroke kick wasn't a problem.

>I enjoy swimming crawl using a pull buoy - no kicking required! However
>I also do several lengths just kicking and holding on to a kick board.

The teacher sometimes gets me to do the kick board version because my leg
strokes need improvement. I can go a lot faster on my back with just leg
kicks than on the front. Ever tried the butterfly hip flick without the arm
movements? Very hard to make any progress at all while holding a board on
top of the water, but if I put my clasped hands in front of me under the
water then I can get somewhere.
--
Steph Peters
Chorlton Wanderers Cycling Group

Graeme Dods <[email protected]> of http://groups.google.com wrote:

>On Jan 3, 9:44 am, Steph Peters <[email protected]>
>wrote:
>> Having had a small and then a
>> major knee problem in 2006 and 2007 I had to more or less begin again to get
>> fit.

>My wife has a "wandering knee cap" too and really misses cycling
>(despite having corrective surgery which did next to nothing).
>Assuming it's the same condition, are the exercises you do helpful for
>cycling? The physio my wife had seemed great at first, but after
>spending loads of money it gradually became clear that recreational
>cycling "wasn't his thing" and he wasn't interested in anyone who
>wasn't a serious athlete.

The term 'wandering knee cap' is mine, not the physio's. My left kneecap
tends to move laterally out of alignment so that the bones in the knee grind
against each other when I bend it, and this then alters my gait so that the
other knee misaligns too.

First time I was diagnosed with a problem in the ligament on the inside of
the left knee, because it was painful when the (paid for) physio prodded it.
I now think that this was a symptom, not the cause. However the treatments
were massage of the ligament (painful and probably useless) and the alphabet
exercise, which strengthens the quads and therefore (temporarily) fixed the
knee.
Alphabet exercise
Sit on a chair with back straight, one foot on the floor, one leg straight
out in front so it is horizontal. Keeping the knee straight use the thing
muscles to move the leg so that it draws an upper case alphabet in the air.
Do this 5-10 times per day until you can do 4 alphabets in a session without
putting the foot down. Bloody hard work.

The second time I went NHS. Took quite a long time to get effective
treatment, given that I was at the point of hobbling up and down stairs only
with great difficulty and extreme pain. However the remedies have proved
successful. I have full movement back, and no pain when cycling or walking.
Apparently there is some crud in the kneecaps due to the previous grinding,
and my family history makes it inevitable I will get arthritis in old age,
so the advice is never to do anything with impact, so no running or jumping.

X rays provided the diagnosis of misaligned knee caps. First treatment was
orthotics in the shoes to rebalance the way I stand - built up part of the
orthotic on the inside of the foot, which apparently is typically female.
Then there were different exercises as I recovered.

Leg raises
Lie flat on floor or bed. Raise one straight leg by about 20cms, hold for 5
seconds.
Knee pushes
Lie flat on floor or bed. Push lower part of the knee into the surface
below, hold tensed for 5 seconds.
Start with 10 of each of these on each leg 10 times per day.
Spend 2 months working up to twice as many in each of the 10 times per day.
It's OK to hold for longer than 5 seconds and do less reps.
My advice: get an mp3 player with bluetooth headphones and some good stories
to listen to, because by the end of this lot I was spending over an hour per
day lying on my back. Got thighs of steel to show for it though.

Move on to double leg squats.
Get one of those large exercise balls and stand straight with the ball
between back and wall, with feet about 20 cm apart. Keeping knees in line
above the feet squat down so that the ball moves down the wall, then back up
again.
10 sets of 10 per day.

I found these very easy, so moved on after only a couple of weeks to single
leg squats.
Find a phone directory or similar size book to step on, or a step of that
kind of height. Stand straight on the book with feet very slightly apart,
hands on hips. While using hands to ensure that the hips do not move
sideways step forwards with one foot off the book onto the floor bending the
other leg at the knee in order to lower it, then back up on to the book.
10 sets of 10 per leg per day.
This is harder than it sounds - although it's a small step the whole weight
is on the leg which is bending. The good thing is it's intense so fast to
do. I keep a phone book at the bottom of the stairs and do a set every time
I go up or down, and also have one set up at work so I can do 2 sets while I
wait for the kettle to boil.

Hope this may be of some use.

--

"vernon" <[email protected]> of wrote:

>"wafflycat" <w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>>
>> "Steph Peters" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>

>>> Slightly less simple:
>>> * continue eating less (75 pounds lost last year, 45 more to go)

>> Well done you on the weight loss. I'm currently standing at over 80lbs
>> lost since mid-Feb 07 and only have a few more to go. I don't make
>> resolutions, but it is my plan to keep up with the cycling - pootling
>> distances (up to 200km) and to do some 10-mile time trials.

>I'm most impressed with the weigh losses. I know the secret is to eat
>less and to move more but I end up moving more and eating more.

No, the secret is to eat loads and loads and loads of salad, fruit and
vegetables until you are full so that there isn't room for all the high
calorie stuff. Low calorie low fat high fibre is how I do it. In actual
food volume I eat more than I did before.

>Right, I shall move even more and eat no more (than usual)
>
>I'd be most chuffed if I could shed 75 - 80 lbs.. There's a lot of clothes
>that would get their first airing in a long time.....

I have an entire new wardrobe. For me it's important to get rid of clothes
that are too large, so there's nothing to go back to. Also wearing smaller
clothes looks better so that's a positive reinforcement. In fact I've had
more than one new wardrobe, as I'm now throwing out the first set of smaller
sizes bought during the diet, because they are too big. Funnily enough the
only old clothes I had in the size I am now were cycling gear.
--
Steph Peters
Chorlton Wanderers Cycling Group
Monthly slow and easy rides from South Manchester
http://www.sandbenders.demon.co.uk/cycling/chwan.htm

"Steph Peters" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "vernon" <[email protected]> of wrote:
>

>>"wafflycat" <w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com> wrote in message
>>news:[email protected]...
>>>
>>> "Steph Peters" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]...

>>> Well done you on the weight loss. I'm currently standing at over 80lbs
>>> lost since mid-Feb 07 and only have a few more to go. I don't make
>>> resolutions, but it is my plan to keep up with the cycling - pootling
>>> distances (up to 200km) and to do some 10-mile time trials.

>>I'm most impressed with the weigh losses. I know the secret is to eat
>>less and to move more but I end up moving more and eating more.

> No, the secret is to eat loads and loads and loads of salad, fruit and
> vegetables until you are full so that there isn't room for all the high
> calorie stuff. Low calorie low fat high fibre is how I do it. In actual
> food volume I eat more than I did before.

'Tis correct. I currently have a huge cauldron of freshly made cauliflower
soup on the go. My favourite is roasted butternut squash soup.

Must admit, I'm finding it difficult at the mo' due to a combination of cold
weather and me having lost my natural insulation... I am permanently *cold*
no matter how many layers I am wearing. Being so cold, my bod is saying
"eat... eat... eat..." and I have to remind myself that actually, no I don't
need to eat any more. So I'm filling up on lots of low-calorie veggie soups
and gallons of hot tea.

>>Right, I shall move even more and eat no more (than usual)
>>
>>I'd be most chuffed if I could shed 75 - 80 lbs.. There's a lot of
>>clothes
>>that would get their first airing in a long time.....

> I have an entire new wardrobe. For me it's important to get rid of
> clothes
> that are too large, so there's nothing to go back to. Also wearing
> smaller
> clothes looks better so that's a positive reinforcement. In fact I've had
> more than one new wardrobe, as I'm now throwing out the first set of
> smaller
> sizes bought during the diet, because they are too big. Funnily enough the
> only old clothes I had in the size I am now were cycling gear.

I'm reduced to wearing all of Nathan's old stuff. I was really looking
forward to getting some lovely *girlie* cycling kit, but the stuff I've
tried is all too short in the body, and at 5'7" I'm not exactly overly tall.
So on that score I'm disappointed.

Cheers, helen s

> Steph Peters
> Chorlton Wanderers Cycling Group
> Monthly slow and easy rides from South Manchester
> http://www.sandbenders.demon.co.uk/cycling/chwan.htm

In article <[email protected]>, Steph Peters
<[email protected]> writes
>congokid <[email protected]> of none wrote:
>>Do you find the crawl doesn't strain your knees (I mentioned in a post
>>elsewhere that the breast stroke kick might do)?

>Can't say I notice a difference. The physio assured me that in my case
>breast stroke kick wasn't a problem.

Glad to hear it.

>The teacher sometimes gets me to do the kick board version because my leg
>strokes need improvement. I can go a lot faster on my back with just leg
>kicks than on the front. Ever tried the butterfly hip flick without the arm
>movements? Very hard to make any progress at all while holding a board on
>top of the water, but if I put my clasped hands in front of me under the
>water then I can get somewhere.

The only time I try that leg flick is at the end of a length of crawl
when I do a tumble turn - I've seen it on video clips from recent
Olympics and it seems to aid the somersault action. Sometimes I also try
and do a few leg flicks 'a la Thorpedo' after pushing off from the wall,
underwater and with arms out front, but by then my lungs are screaming
for air.
--
congokid
Eating out in London? Read my tips...
http://congokid.com

congokid <[email protected]> of none wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>, Steph Peters
><[email protected]> writes
>>congokid <[email protected]> of none wrote:
>>The teacher sometimes gets me to do the kick board version because my leg
>>strokes need improvement. I can go a lot faster on my back with just leg
>>kicks than on the front. Ever tried the butterfly hip flick without the arm
>>movements? Very hard to make any progress at all while holding a board on
>>top of the water, but if I put my clasped hands in front of me under the
>>water then I can get somewhere.

>The only time I try that leg flick is at the end of a length of crawl
>when I do a tumble turn - I've seen it on video clips from recent
>Olympics and it seems to aid the somersault action. Sometimes I also try
>and do a few leg flicks 'a la Thorpedo' after pushing off from the wall,
>underwater and with arms out front, but by then my lungs are screaming
>for air.

I can manage doing three underwater then deliberately come up for air, and
so on, for a whole length. But I have a reason to practice them as I want
to be able to do butterfly properly, without collapsing after a width (and
the pool is no more than 10 yards wide).
--

"wafflycat" <w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com> of remove fame and fortune to
get correct email address wrote:
>'Tis correct. I currently have a huge cauldron of freshly made cauliflower
>soup on the go. My favourite is roasted butternut squash soup.

Try adding a granny smith's apple to butternut squash soup - the **** apple
makes a good counterpoint to the sweet squash.

>Must admit, I'm finding it difficult at the mo' due to a combination of cold
>weather and me having lost my natural insulation... I am permanently *cold*
>no matter how many layers I am wearing. Being so cold, my bod is saying
>"eat... eat... eat..." and I have to remind myself that actually, no I don't
>need to eat any more. So I'm filling up on lots of low-calorie veggie soups
>and gallons of hot tea.

I'm beginning to get this effect. Body legs and arms I can control by
wearing lots of clothes - like a cashmere polo neck sweater with another
sweater over, and two pairs of trousers at the same time. But my feet and
hands get cold. I consume gallons of tea at work mainly to thaw my hands
out so I can keep on using the keyboard. The cold feet while cycling are
painful.

>I'm reduced to wearing all of Nathan's old stuff. I was really looking
>forward to getting some lovely *girlie* cycling kit, but the stuff I've
>tried is all too short in the body, and at 5'7" I'm not exactly overly tall.
>So on that score I'm disappointed.

And as I'm 5 foot and a smidge, I'd like to know who is selling the stuff
that's too short for you, as it should be right for me sometime soon.
--
Steph Peters
Chorlton Wanderers Cycling Group
Monthly slow and easy rides from South Manchester
http://www.sandbenders.demon.co.uk/cycling/chwan.htm

"Steph Peters" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> And as I'm 5 foot and a smidge, I'd like to know who is selling the stuff
> that's too short for you, as it should be right for me sometime soon.

Pearl Izumi
Nike
Campag
Assos

To name but a few. The Assos stuff is seriously short in the body.

"wafflycat" <w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com> of remove fame and fortune to
get correct email address wrote:

>"Steph Peters" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>
>> And as I'm 5 foot and a smidge, I'd like to know who is selling the stuff
>> that's too short for you, as it should be right for me sometime soon.

>Pearl Izumi
>Nike
>Campag
>Assos
>
>To name but a few. The Assos stuff is seriously short in the body.

Ta, I will investigate when I am too small to borrow DH's stuff. Right now
his fits, so I have loads of things to wear.