respacing a campy 10 speed hub for 8 speed shimano

chilly willy

Sep 2, 2009
Hey, anyone out there have any success with changing a 10 speed campy hub to work with an older 8 speed shimano bike? I am trying to lighten up my wife's bike (25 lbs!!) and I'd love to give her my hand built campy wheels for use on her 8 speed shimano bike. Most of the campy cogs are separate so I know I can get new spacers to respace to shimano. However, using 8 of the separate 10 speed cogs (which are thinner than the 8speeds) and then using shimano spacers may not not work if the 10 speed hub is too wide. I'm just not sure right now. I don't want to buy spacers only to realize that I need another odd sized spacer. Online I see tons of info for using campy shifters and shimano parts or going from 8 speed to 9 or ten, but no info for what I'm trying to do. Obviously I have the wheels and the cogset, so I'm trying not to spend a bunch of money in upgrading her bike.

any thoughts? Wheels manufactering, jtek engineering and american classic don't really address this.

thanks!!

I haven't actually botheed to do what you are proposing, but a long time ago I examined the difference between the 8-speed Campagnolo cogs & the 9-/10-speed Campagnolo cogs ...

My conclusion was that if I had wanted to put an 8-speed Campagnolo cassette onto a 9-/10-speed Campagnolo freehub that all I would need to do was to find the indexing spline on the freehub & file a notch in the corresponding 'tooth' in the inner circumference of the cog to allow the 8-speed cog to slide onto the 9-/10-speed freehub.

So, you just need an 8-speed CAMPAGNOLO cassette + a regular-sized triangular file + a minute to figure out which spline to notch ...

And, then a few minutes to notch each cog.

How does THAT help you?!?

The 8-speed Shimano & Campagnolo cassettes have pretty much the same indexing ...

The reason that SOME people (e.g., the late Sheldon Brown) could not hot swap the wheels is because the offset is different where the Campagnolo is a little more inboard.

You can either adjust the left-right placement of the cassette on the freehub with a spacer (which you will probably need) OR simply adjust the derailleur's stops, accordingly, and subsequently adjust the indexing.

N.B. Some of the 8-speed Campagnolo cogs (e.g., Veloce) were crudely stamped (!) ... some were better.

chilly ***** said:
Hey, anyone out there have any success with changing a 10 speed campy hub to work with an older 8 speed shimano bike? I am trying to lighten up my wife's bike (25 lbs!!) and I'd love to give her my hand built campy wheels for use on her 8 speed shimano bike. Most of the campy cogs are separate so I know I can get new spacers to respace to shimano. However, using 8 of the separate 10 speed cogs (which are thinner than the 8speeds) and then using shimano spacers may not not work if the 10 speed hub is too wide. I'm just not sure right now. I don't want to buy spacers only to realize that I need another odd sized spacer. Online I see tons of info for using campy shifters and shimano parts or going from 8 speed to 9 or ten, but no info for what I'm trying to do. Obviously I have the wheels and the cogset, so I'm trying not to spend a bunch of money in upgrading her bike.

any thoughts? Wheels manufactering, jtek engineering and american classic don't really address this.

thanks!!

Yes, go get a loose Veloce 9s Capagnolo cogset, get some black Campagnolo 8s spacers..make the cogset, adjust the rear derailleur, go ride. You may need to put a spacer onto the freehub first, then the cogset, then the lockring. You can get Wheels 'Red' wheels spacer kit, actually made for shimano to Campagnolo 8s spacing but shimano and 9s Campag cogs are the same thickness. Just using black Campag 8s spacers will work

alfeng said:
I haven't actually botheed to do what you are proposing, but a long time ago I examined the difference between the 8-speed Campagnolo cogs & the 9-/10-speed Campagnolo cogs ...

My conclusion was that if I had wanted to put an 8-speed Campagnolo cassette onto a 9-/10-speed Campagnolo freehub that all I would need to do was to find the indexing spline on the freehub & file a notch in the corresponding 'tooth' in the inner circumference of the cog to allow the 8-speed cog to slide onto the 9-/10-speed freehub.

So, you just need an 8-speed CAMPAGNOLO cassette + a regular-sized triangular file + a minute to figure out which spline to notch ...

And, then a few minutes to notch each cog.

How does THAT help you?!?

The 8-speed Shimano & Campagnolo cassettes have pretty much the same indexing ...

The reason that SOME people (e.g., the late Sheldon Brown) could not hot swap the wheels is because the offset is different where the Campagnolo is a little more inboard.

You can either adjust the left-right placement of the cassette on the freehub with a spacer (which you will probably need) OR simply adjust the derailleur's stops, accordingly, and subsequently adjust the indexing.

N.B. Some of the 8-speed Campagnolo cogs (e.g., Veloce) were crudely stamped (!) ... some were better.

Campagnolo 8s cogs actually fit onto a Campagnolo 9/10/11s freehub, w/o modification BUT they don't grab a lot of freehub material, are not deep enough, and can kill the aluminum freehub body.

See my post. Done this many times, works fine.