Respect

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Bill C, May 1, 2006.

  1. Bill C

    Bill C Guest

    What's this say about him?
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2006/may06/may01news2

    Former T-Mobile rider Rolf Aldag has officially ended his career as a
    pro cyclist in his home town of Ahlen, Germany, on Saturday, April 29.
    After a 63km-long circuit race, which of course Aldag won, the man who
    participated ten times in the Tour de France for his T-Mobile team said
    goodbye to racing.
    Many of his long-time colleagues came to escort the 37 year-old to the
    finish line: Jens Voigt (CSC), Fabian Wegmann (Gerolsteiner), Marcus
    Burghardt and Sergej Ivanov (T-Mobile), three Milram riders and last
    but not least Aldag's friend Erik Zabel, who led out the sprint for his
    long-time companion. "He deserved it," said Zabel, adding with a grin
    that he wouldn't have dreamed to lead out a sprint again for a T-Mobile
    rider.

    Damn that's some serious escort, and train. Nice to see a workhorse
    get his due respect.
    Bravo and well done to everyone involved.
    Bill C

    Tags:

  2. Bill C wrote:
    > What's this say about him?
    > http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2006/may06/may01news2
    >
    > Former T-Mobile rider Rolf Aldag has officially ended his career as a
    > pro cyclist in his home town of Ahlen, Germany, on Saturday, April 29.
    > After a 63km-long circuit race, which of course Aldag won, the man who
    > participated ten times in the Tour de France for his T-Mobile team said
    > goodbye to racing.
    > Many of his long-time colleagues came to escort the 37 year-old to the
    > finish line: Jens Voigt (CSC), Fabian Wegmann (Gerolsteiner), Marcus
    > Burghardt and Sergej Ivanov (T-Mobile), three Milram riders and last
    > but not least Aldag's friend Erik Zabel, who led out the sprint for his
    > long-time companion. "He deserved it," said Zabel, adding with a grin
    > that he wouldn't have dreamed to lead out a sprint again for a T-Mobile
    > rider.
    >
    > Damn that's some serious escort, and train. Nice to see a workhorse
    > get his due respect.
    > Bravo and well done to everyone involved.
    > Bill C

    It says everything about him.

    Fred

  3. Lou D'Amelio

    Lou D'Amelio Guest

    I agree with your sentiments 100%. Thanks for reporting this. For those
    who haven't seen the DVD "Hell on Wheels," I highly recommend it. It
    chronicles Telekom at the 2003 Tour and focuses on Aldag and Zabel and
    their relationship. Gives one a great appreciation of the dedication,
    suffering, and camaraderie involved in being a domestique and an aging
    star.

    Lou D'Amelio

  4. Robert Chung

    Robert Chung Guest

    Lou D'Amelio wrote:
    > I agree with your sentiments 100%. Thanks for reporting this. For those
    > who haven't seen the DVD "Hell on Wheels," I highly recommend it. It
    > chronicles Telekom at the 2003 Tour and focuses on Aldag and Zabel and
    > their relationship. Gives one a great appreciation of the dedication,
    > suffering, and camaraderie involved in being a domestique and an aging
    > star.

    Gives one a great appreciation for how much chamois cream a team must go
    through in a season.

  5. On 1 May 2006 20:05:29 -0700, "Lou D'Amelio" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >I agree with your sentiments 100%. Thanks for reporting this. For those
    >who haven't seen the DVD "Hell on Wheels," I highly recommend it. It
    >chronicles Telekom at the 2003 Tour and focuses on Aldag and Zabel and
    >their relationship. Gives one a great appreciation of the dedication,
    >suffering, and camaraderie involved in being a domestique and an aging
    >star.

    "Erik Zabel is right there! Zabel! Zabel! Zabel! Zabel! Zabel!
    Pettachi."

    Great DVD.

    JT

    Remove "remove" to reply