Respectful awe

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Pete Connors, May 5, 2006.

  1. Pete Connors

    Pete Connors Guest

    I must abandon my lurking posture to relate a tale:
    Across the close from me lives Peggy, 85. Earlier this week I went to
    her husband John's funeral and was reduced to respectful awe by one of
    the other mourners: their gardener. A retired bank manager, he
    regularly turns up at their house on a battered Raleigh pulling a home
    made trailer - which carries a petrol driven mower during the growing
    season. Over the years I have often seen him towing the tools of his
    trade around the neighbourhood.
    He had made the trip to John's funeral in Macclesfield on the battered
    Raleigh and as I left he was changing into his cycling clothes for the
    7 or 8 mile trip back to Bramhall. That's a trivial trip for the
    Ultegra-equipped carbon cohorts, but he was just quietly getting on
    with it.
    --
    Pete the amateur tourer

    Tags:

  2. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    Pete Connors wrote:
    > I must abandon my lurking posture to relate a tale:
    > Across the close from me lives Peggy, 85. Earlier this week I went to
    > her husband John's funeral and was reduced to respectful awe by one of
    > the other mourners: their gardener. A retired bank manager, he
    > regularly turns up at their house on a battered Raleigh pulling a home
    > made trailer - which carries a petrol driven mower during the growing
    > season. Over the years I have often seen him towing the tools of his
    > trade around the neighbourhood.
    > He had made the trip to John's funeral in Macclesfield on the battered
    > Raleigh and as I left he was changing into his cycling clothes for the
    > 7 or 8 mile trip back to Bramhall. That's a trivial trip for the
    > Ultegra-equipped carbon cohorts, but he was just quietly getting on
    > with it.

    Was it Johnny Ginger by any chance?

    ...d

    ISBN: 0330376926 by way of explaination.
    > --
    > Pete the amateur tourer

  3. OG

    OG Guest

    "Pete Connors" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >I must abandon my lurking posture to relate a tale:
    > Across the close from me lives Peggy, 85. Earlier this week I went to
    > her husband John's funeral and was reduced to respectful awe by one of
    > the other mourners: their gardener. A retired bank manager, he
    > regularly turns up at their house on a battered Raleigh pulling a home
    > made trailer - which carries a petrol driven mower during the growing
    > season. Over the years I have often seen him towing the tools of his
    > trade around the neighbourhood.
    > He had made the trip to John's funeral in Macclesfield on the battered
    > Raleigh and as I left he was changing into his cycling clothes for the
    > 7 or 8 mile trip back to Bramhall. That's a trivial trip for the
    > Ultegra-equipped carbon cohorts, but he was just quietly getting on
    > with it.
    > --
    > Pete the amateur tourer

    Aye indeed
    We are in the presence of a generation of men and women who have incredible
    stories to tell.
    At our local Church we had a lady - known in the area as a grandmother of
    great wisdom and no sufferer of fools - who had driven ambulances (without
    lights) through the East End Blitz and blackout .

    Also another who is one of the first female firemen/firewomen/firepersons.

    All quietly getting on with it.

    OG
    =================================
    If you want to put your life in perspective, join a Church full of oldies !

  4. Pete Connors

    Pete Connors Guest

    On 5 May 2006 15:07:33 -0700, "David Martin"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    snip

    >Was it Johnny Ginger by any chance?
    >
    >..d
    >
    >ISBN: 0330376926 by way of explaination.
    >> --
    >> Pete the amateur tourer

    I rather think he would shun self-publicists :)
    Indeed, show him a blog and he'd saw it up into useful pieces...

    --
    Pete the amateur tourer

  5. Brian G

    Brian G Guest

    Pete Connors wrote:
    as I left he was changing into his cycling clothes for the
    > 7 or 8 mile trip back to Bramhall. That's a trivial trip for the
    > Ultegra-equipped carbon cohorts, but he was just quietly getting on
    > with it.

    There are indeed many Senior Cyclists out there who are just getting on
    with it. Quite often when I'm whizzing(ish) back to the house from a
    ride I encounter a chap who must be in his eighties on a bike which must
    be in its sixties pedalling up to the local supermarket. He has only
    one speed regardless of the gradient and always raises a hand from the
    bars in a wave to this portly lycra lout. If I'm doing that in twenty
    odd years I certainly won't grumble (well, not about that, anyway).

    --
    Brian G

  6. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    Brian G wrote:
    > Pete Connors wrote:
    > as I left he was changing into his cycling clothes for the
    > > 7 or 8 mile trip back to Bramhall. That's a trivial trip for the
    > > Ultegra-equipped carbon cohorts, but he was just quietly getting on
    > > with it.

    > There are indeed many Senior Cyclists out there who are just getting on
    > with it. Quite often when I'm whizzing(ish) back to the house from a
    > ride I encounter a chap who must be in his eighties on a bike which must
    > be in its sixties pedalling up to the local supermarket. He has only
    > one speed regardless of the gradient and always raises a hand from the
    > bars in a wave to this portly lycra lout. If I'm doing that in twenty
    > odd years I certainly won't grumble (well, not about that, anyway).

    Aren't you in Crieff? Serious kudos then to that chap..One lesson
    utility cyclists learn rapidly is always to patronise the supermarket
    at the top of the hill..

    ...d

  7. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Brian G wrote:

    > There are indeed many Senior Cyclists out there who are just getting on
    > with it. Quite often when I'm whizzing(ish) back to the house from a
    > ride I encounter a chap who must be in his eighties on a bike which must
    > be in its sixties pedalling up to the local supermarket.

    I used to occasionally ride with the Cambridge CTC. One guy was in his
    eighties, had tunnel vision so could only go straight or turn left and
    cycled about 8,000 miles a year. I attended the 90th birthday party of
    a club regular at the tea stop on the Sunday ride. He rode like someone
    in his 50's.

    --
    Tony

    right."
    - Lord Hailsham

  8. Brian G

    Brian G Guest

    David Martin wrote:

    > Aren't you in Crieff? Serious kudos then to that chap..One lesson
    > utility cyclists learn rapidly is always to patronise the supermarket
    > at the top of the hill..

    Indeed. Now of course there are allegedly plans to build a new
    supermarket at a lower level, near to where the cyclist of my tale
    presumably lives. I fear for his future health and fitness!

    --
    Brian G

  9. Brian G

    Brian G Guest

    Tony Raven wrote:
    > Brian G wrote:
    >>
    >> There are indeed many Senior Cyclists out there who are just getting
    >> on with it. Quite often when I'm whizzing(ish) back to the house from
    >> a ride I encounter a chap who must be in his eighties on a bike which
    >> must be in its sixties pedalling up to the local supermarket.

    > I used to occasionally ride with the Cambridge CTC. One guy was in his
    > eighties, had tunnel vision so could only go straight or turn left and
    > cycled about 8,000 miles a year. I attended the 90th birthday party of
    > a club regular at the tea stop on the Sunday ride. He rode like someone
    > in his 50's.

    I wait with impatience for the posting of news of the centenarian round
    the world pedaller ... :)

    --
    Brian G