Respoking a rim

silentC

May 18, 2005
I've just discovered another broken spoke. Last time, it took nearly a week to get the the guy at the local bike shop to get off his behind and replace it. So I'm wondering if it's worth the effort in trying to do it myself. I figure I could replace one spoke OK but the wheel will no doubt need to be trued after this. I also wonder if it's worth replacing all of the spokes while I'm at it, because the wheel is about 12 years old and has all the original spokes bar one. What do you think, is it worth the effort, or should I just go without it for another week while I wait for it to be done at the bike shop?

silentC said:
I've just discovered another broken spoke. Last time, it took nearly a week to get the the guy at the local bike shop to get off his behind and replace it. So I'm wondering if it's worth the effort in trying to do it myself. I figure I could replace one spoke OK but the wheel will no doubt need to be trued after this. I also wonder if it's worth replacing all of the spokes while I'm at it, because the wheel is about 12 years old and has all the original spokes bar one. What do you think, is it worth the effort, or should I just go without it for another week while I wait for it to be done at the bike shop?
What hub and rim?
How many miles do you have on the wheel?
How much are you willing to invest in time, materials, and fixtures for wheel Building/finishing/truing?
Have you checked out the book: "the Bicycle Wheel" from your library?
There is a chance that your 12 year old wheel isn't worth the effort due to it's existing components and age/condition. Learning how to properly work on a wheel takes time and effort. For some the investment is quite worth it, but others would rather spend it riding.

daveornee said:
What hub and rim?
How many miles do you have on the wheel?
How much are you willing to invest in time, materials, and fixtures for wheel Building/finishing/truing?
Have you checked out the book: "the Bicycle Wheel" from your library?
There is a chance that your 12 year old wheel isn't worth the effort due to it's existing components and age/condition. Learning how to properly work on a wheel takes time and effort. For some the investment is quite worth it, but others would rather spend it riding.
What he said. I true wheels,replace an occasional broken spoke,check dish...but leave the wheel building to the experts. You can pick up replacement wheels for not alot of money.

I agree with what daveornee and boudreaux siad. What I can't figure out is how it could possibly take a week for your shop to turn-around a wheel with one broken spoke! This is something that a good shop will do for you in 5 minutes while you wait. Absurd!

Thanks for the replies.

What hub and rim?
It's nothing special, the hub is a Shimano RX100 and the rim is a Wolber GTX. Do they still make those? ;)

There is a chance that your 12 year old wheel isn't worth the effort due to it's existing components and age/condition.
The whole bike is that old! If I start talking about replacing things because they're old, I'll need a new bike :eek: Now there's an idea...:D

I can't justify upgrading because I'm not really that serious - I ride about three times a week. I was more into it a few years ago but really only just starting to get back on the bike. I guess it's understandable that it's starting to fall apart on me.

I true wheels,replace an occasional broken spoke,check dish...but leave the wheel building to the experts.
Yeah, I guess it would be over the top to try and rebuild it myself. I'll have a go at replacing a spoke and see how I get on.

This is something that a good shop will do for you in 5 minutes while you wait.
I live in a small country town and I think the guy at the local bike shop does repair work once or twice a week, so it depends on when you get it to him as to how quick it gets done. Unfortunately, he's the only bike shop in town, so I don't have a lot of choice.

Thanks again for the replies.

silentC said:
Thanks for the replies.

It's nothing special, the hub is a Shimano RX100 and the rim is a Wolber GTX. Do they still make those? ;)

The whole bike is that old! If I start talking about replacing things because they're old, I'll need a new bike :eek: Now there's an idea...:D

I can't justify upgrading because I'm not really that serious - I ride about three times a week. I was more into it a few years ago but really only just starting to get back on the bike. I guess it's understandable that it's starting to fall apart on me.

Yeah, I guess it would be over the top to try and rebuild it myself. I'll have a go at replacing a spoke and see how I get on.

I live in a small country town and I think the guy at the local bike shop does repair work once or twice a week, so it depends on when you get it to him as to how quick it gets done. Unfortunately, he's the only bike shop in town, so I don't have a lot of choice.

Thanks again for the replies.
I forget how spoiled us "big city" bicyclist are for service and selection.
I would buy a few spokes and learn as much as I can about replacing them , including stress relieving. The book I listed earlier is a good source and available through many library systems. The spokes are likely coming to their fatigue limits.

meehs said:
I can't figure out is how it could possibly take a week for your shop to turn-around a wheel with one broken spoke!
Especially when it can be done during a ride in ~10-15 minutes.......

Maybe a new LBS is in order. Learning how to replace spokes may also help.....