Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by Jayne ZA, Aug 3, 2004.

  1. Jayne ZA

    Jayne ZA Guest

    This is kind of a turnaround on the "Where's the other wheel?"

    Since my fall induced foot pain, I've noticed a huge variety of
    "WOW - you can ride a unicycle - that's AMAZING" (followed by me
    pointing to my sore foot and saying "Obviously I need more practice" or
    something like that) through the obvious "What's a unicycle" (followed
    by a brief explanation and a similar response to the first option), to
    the one guy who disintegrated into hysterical laughter. Tears were
    running down his face and I was afraid he was going to hurt himself.
    It's just lucky he was sitting down at the time or he probably would
    have fallen over and rolled around on the floor clutching his sides and
    laughing.

    So - what's the best response you've received to a unicycling induced
    injury?

    Jayne

    --
    Jayne ZA - Downsizing to a 24

    Being a statistician means never having to say you're certain

    Jayne ZA's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4878

  2. James_Potter

    James_Potter Guest

    The main thing people say about my injuries is:
    Eeewwwwwww!

    --
    James_Potter - Rettop_Semaj

    -If there was an eleventh commandment, it is to be "thou shalt dip thy
    pizza, for it is, wicked."-
    --Thedan

  3. harper

    harper Guest

    From my doctors, who I see frequently for twists, sprains, mangled
    joints, bruises, cut veins, 4cm deep puncture wounds, etc. My medical
    file has an x-ray of almost every bone in my body.

    When they enter the examination room, which usually also contains my
    Coker because I rode it there:

    "So, Greg, what did you fall off of and what will we be x-raying today?"

    --
    harper - Statuesque

    -Greg Harper

    B L U E S H I F T

    "You go through life and you choose." - Greg Harper

    "Find weak people and take stuff from them" - Greg Harper

  4. James_Potter

    James_Potter Guest

    Doesn't that many X-Rays give you a dangerous amount of radiation?

    --
    James_Potter - Rettop_Semaj

    -If there was an eleventh commandment, it is to be "thou shalt dip thy
    pizza, for it is, wicked."-
    --Thedan

  5. evil-nick

    evil-nick Guest

  6. cjd

    cjd Guest

    I had a similar experience when I was receiving a life insurance
    physical. When I told the nurse a large bruise on my arm was from
    unicycling she said, "Oh, that's you." She lived in the same
    neighborhood, a mono-monocycle neighborhood, and had seen me riding.

    The medical forms did appropriately note that I was a unicyclist, and I
    was covered at the quoted cost, so I guess we're not on the
    underwriter's list of dodgy activities (yet).

    --
    cjd - Pashley apologist
    cjd's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3965

  7. Erin

    Erin Guest

    Usually when someone asks how I broke my leg, I start out by saying that
    I was going down a flight of stairs, two at a time,.....during which
    their face just looks normal as they are listening to me. But then when
    I continue on by adding "on a unicycle" this cool thing happens to their
    face, and its the same every time, eyes widen, jaw drops and eyebrows
    shoot upwards. Next comes, "On a WHAT ?!"

    Almost always the same....sigh... it was kind of a surprising reaction
    to observe for the first few months but now its about as predictable as
    'where's your other wheel'...LOL

    --
    Erin - Onewheeler

    As I MUni'ed by them on a forest trail, one woman remarked to her
    companion, "Wow look at that! Now that's a test
    of.............EVERYTHING!"
    Erin's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2036

  8. (FOLLOWED BY ME POINTING TO MY SORE FOOT AND SAYING \"OBVIOUSLY I NEED
    MORE PRACTICE\" OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT)

    I'm under the impression that the injury risk actually rises with more
    practice, see the thread about Dan Heaton... .

    j.

    --
    juergen_brauckmann - Title? What title?
    juergen_brauckmann's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2079

  9. tomsey

    tomsey Guest

    once this old lady was walking across a road towards us. and there was
    these posts that i was rolling hoppping up to then proceeded to hop
    across the others.

    so this lady walks past and says "get off that thing around so many
    people, you could knock someone over" then she waited in front of the
    posts in my run up space for me to get off "well... are you going to do
    as i say?"

    i replied with a "ahhh no"

    and then she moved on and turned and said "you know.. youre not even
    that coordintated on that thing" (as i hopped across the posts)

    i said "yeah youre probably right, but who are you to say?"

    and then she walked back and said "i hope you fall off and crack your
    skull and die. the world will be a better place without people like
    you"

    this lady was like 80...

    wheres the love in today's society?

    tomsey

    --
    tomsey - www.ozextremeunicycling.cjb.net

    www.ozextremeunicycling.cjb.net
    tomsey's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7038

  10. Jayne ZA

    Jayne ZA Guest

    juergen_brauckmann wrote:
    > *(FOLLOWED BY ME POINTING TO MY SORE FOOT AND SAYING \"OBVIOUSLY I
    > NEED MORE PRACTICE\" OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT)
    >
    > I'm under the impression that the injury risk actually rises with more
    > practice, see the thread about Dan Heaton... .
    >
    > j. *

    Yeah, I know. I'm wondering if I should just quit while I'm ahead. If
    I can get myself a 4-6 week layoff while LEARNING TO RIDE, what will I
    do to myself when I start to practice freemounting and idling and stuff
    like that?

    Jayne

    --

  11. Jayne ZA wrote:
    > *
    > If I can get myself a 4-6 week layoff while LEARNING TO RIDE, what
    > will I do to myself when I start to practice freemounting and idling
    > and stuff like that?
    >
    > Jayne *

    Uh, sorry, I did not want to scare you. I'm sure your injury was just
    bad luck.

    What I wanted to say was that it seems to me that the people with a lot
    of practice tend to hurt themselves more because they take more risks
    (like riding down stairs or jumping of a 14 footer).

    j.

    --
    juergen_brauckmann - Title? What title?
    juergen_brauckmann's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2079

  12. KathySusanka

    KathySusanka Guest

    The most bizarre response I got hobbling around in my cast was a hearty
    "Good for you!” I took that as a response to my riding a unicycle, not
    for the injury. I also got a lot of people who just didn't believe me.
    "Oh come on, you can make up a better story than that,” someone said.
    Another one I got was, "I guess you won't do that again.” referring to
    unicycling. How wrong they were. The emergency room Doc who set the
    broken bone exclaimed, "Ouch! That must hurt!” as he was looking at the
    X-ray. That was an understatement.
    I got lots of stories from people about how they broke bones themselves.
    A surprising number broke arms and legs playing football or basketball.

    --
    KathySusanka - Uni Count now at 15

    KathySusanka's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4309