"Responsible" Mountain Biker Supports MTB Racing!

"Jeff Strickland" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> When we are talking about 30 or 40, or 100 visitor trips on a weekend, the impact on habitat is
> negligible. Proof is that the habitat continues to thrive on either side of the trail even though
> the trail has been on the ground for several decades.

What habitat? Lichens on granite boulders? See page 2 where proof of wildlife habitat destruction is
shown just to build illegal mountain bike trails. Mountain bike singletrack is the most destructive
and invasive form of trail building because it requires the greatest excavation and the greatest
number of switchbacks. The switchbacks are built not for access but for entertainment. Terri
Alvillar http://homepage.mac.com/terrialvillar/mountainbikedamage/PhotoAlbum11.html

Terri, your blatant bias is showing again.

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Terri
Alvillar) wrote:

> "Jeff Strickland" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
>
> > When we are talking about 30 or 40, or 100 visitor trips on a weekend, the impact on habitat is
> > negligible. Proof is that the habitat continues to thrive on either side of the trail even
> > though the trail has been on the ground for several decades.
>
> What habitat? Lichens on granite boulders? See page 2 where proof of wildlife habitat destruction
> is shown just to build illegal mountain bike trails. Mountain bike singletrack is the most
> destructive and invasive form of trail building because it requires the greatest excavation and
> the greatest number of switchbacks. The switchbacks are built not for access but for
> entertainment. Terri Alvillar

"Illegal mountain bike trails" subtly implies that all mountain bike trails are illegal.

Less subtle is the assertion that the construction of "mountain bike trails" is significantly
different from other trail building and is far more damaging. Quite the oppostite is true. One need
only read the extensive trail building resources found at:
http://www.imba.com/resources/trail_building/index.html

Of course Terri and mikey cannot be expected to recant even their most outlandish claims. It's just
not in the cards.

TD

--
[email protected] World Without Cars Dictionary of Vandemisms (2001) is available at:
http://trekkiedad.freeservers.com/wwc.html ICQ# available on request

"Terri Alvillar" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Jeff Strickland" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:
>
> < Our significant encroachment that harms the animals is
> > condo complexes and golf courses.
>

> Right. I hate it when those condos wander out into wildlife habitat and race over the terrain
> scaring people and running over animals. Terri Alvillar
> http://homepage.mac.com/terrialvillar/mountainbikedamage/PhotoAlbum11.html

Wow that looks a cool place to singletrack. Im planning a biking trip to the states and think
Marin county could be the destination. Terri do you know the area, and if so can you recommend a
place to stay ??

ta

max

Trekkie Dad <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Terri, your blatant bias is showing again.

Bias is an opinion formed without examining the facts. My statements about mountain biking are based
on facts. Watching the illegal Tamarancho trail builders trespass on private property every week for
several years is a fact. My neighbor being attacked with a hammer by a mountain biker working on an
illegal trail, and her resulting black eye, are facts. Marin County Bicycle Coalition co-founder
Chris Lang being convicted of ramming his pickup truck through my steel driveway gate in a rage is a
fact. The scars on Marin County hillsides from mountain bike use, and the cost to taxpayers to
repair them, are facts. The conviction of Michael More for illegal building mountain bike trails on
federal land while serving on a government board, is a fact. The convictions of Neal Daskal and
James McBride for helping More build the illegal trails are facts. Shall I go on? Terri Alvillar
http://homepage.mac.com/terrialvillar/mountainbikedamage/PhotoAlbum11.html

--
http://members.rogers.com/theblackfoxx/ "Terri Alvillar" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Trekkie Dad <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > Terri, your blatant bias is showing again.
>

> Bias is an opinion formed without examining the facts. My statements about mountain biking are
> based on facts. Watching the illegal Tamarancho trail builders trespass on private property every
> week for several years is a fact. My neighbor being attacked with a hammer by a mountain biker
> working on an illegal trail, and her resulting black eye, are facts. Marin County Bicycle
> Coalition co-founder Chris Lang being convicted of ramming his pickup truck through my steel
> driveway gate in a rage is a fact. The scars on Marin County hillsides from mountain bike use, and
> the cost to taxpayers to repair them, are facts. The conviction of Michael More for illegal
> building mountain bike trails on federal land while serving on a government board, is a fact. The
> convictions of Neal Daskal and James McBride for helping More build the illegal trails are facts.
> Shall I go on? Terri Alvillar
> http://homepage.mac.com/terrialvillar/mountainbikedamage/PhotoAlbum11.html

So what are you trying to do here Terri?

You have made your statements, carefully detailing your own perspective, and you have gotten the
response of the NG users in return. What's your next move?

"Dpm" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<
> > Right. I hate it when those condos wander out into wildlife habitat and race over the terrain
> > scaring people and running over animals. Terri Alvillar
> > http://homepage.mac.com/terrialvillar/mountainbikedamage/PhotoAlbum11.html
>
> Wow that looks a cool place to singletrack. Im planning a biking trip to the states and think
> Marin county could be the destination. Terri do you know the area, and if so can you recommend a
> place to stay ??
>
> ta
>
> max

Yes, Max, I would be happy to: Marin County jail. Terri Alvillar

GONE FISHING

3-30-2003 el dorado county, CA sheriff's dept. search & rescue=D.O.A.

if you go camping, hiking or backpacking in el dorado county, cailf. don't get to a point where you
need help from el dorado county sheriff's dept. search & rescue because this is what they will tell
you. well tomorrow is day off and when we call men in on their days off the moral of the men gets
down. so that's why the last 20 years we have saved 27 people and lost 141=doa.

the el dorado county,ca sheriff'S dept. also said the forset service and air force don't know what
the hell they are doing they call us for help.

el dorado county,ca sheriff, undersheriff, lt. and capt.said that they would not go out and search
because they were going fishing not searching.the sheriff said they did not have the manpower
because the sheriff told the forest serviec, air force, navy and everyone else it was a joke and
manpower was not needed. the el dorado county,ca sheriff's dept.also said the forset service and air
force don't know what the hell they are doing they call us for help. and can't use dogs if over 2
hours. the sheriff had to ask out side people how to read a map,and where el dorado motel was. so
that's why after the last 20 years we have saved 27 lost people and lost 141=D.O.A.

www.e-thepeople.org/a-townnews

PLACERVILLE,CA NEWS PAPER TOWN HALL POLL

what do you think about el dorado sheriff's dept. (277 votes, ended on 03/27/03) dirty cops 45 %
could be better 37 % bad 19 % good 22 %

Alvillar) wrote:

> Trekkie Dad <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > Terri, your blatant bias is showing again.
>

> Bias is an opinion formed without examining the facts. My statements about mountain biking are
> based on facts. Watching the illegal Tamarancho trail builders trespass on private property every
> week for several years is a fact. My neighbor being attacked with a hammer by a mountain biker
> working on an illegal trail, and her resulting black eye, are facts. Marin County Bicycle
> Coalition co-founder Chris Lang being convicted of ramming his pickup truck through my steel
> driveway gate in a rage is a fact. The scars on Marin County hillsides from mountain bike use, and
> the cost to taxpayers to repair them, are facts. The conviction of Michael More for illegal
> building mountain bike trails on federal land while serving on a government board, is a fact. The
> convictions of Neal Daskal and James McBride for helping More build the illegal trails are facts.
> Shall I go on? Terri Alvillar

Be my guest. I can certainly see how the actions of a handful of individuals have caused you to
paint all those who engage in off-road bicycling with the same broad brush. Using the same Alvillar
brand of Vandelogic(TM), I could declare all public school students incorrigible thieves simply
because one or two of them has stolen candy out of a jar in my classroom. It's a fact!

As for the "scars on Marin County hillsides from mountain bike use" et cetera, you'd have a
difficult time proving that the "scars" were solely attributable to bicycles, considering the much
larger numbers of hikers and equestrians there. Even so, ALL the damage caused by recreational
overuse EVERYWHERE pales in comparison to the ecological disaster caused by the logging industry
that has for many years financially supported your precious Marin County lifestyle.

We're not buying your sh*t. I used to think that Vandeman was a unique nutcase, but you come off
like his intellectual clone. Did the two of you occupy the same compound in the Synanon cult?
Inquiring minds want to know!

TD apologizing to horses everywhere for comparing "Terri Alvillar" to a horse's ass.

--

On Sun, 30 Mar 2003 14:03:09 +0200, "Dpm" <[email protected]> wrote:

. ."Terri Alvillar" <[email protected]> wrote in message
.news:[email protected]... .> "Jeff Strickland" <[email protected]>
http://homepage.mac.com/terrialvillar/mountainbikedamage/PhotoAlbum11.html . .Wow that looks a cool
place to singletrack. .Im planning a biking trip to the states and think Marin county could be the
.destination. .Terri do you know the area, and if so can you recommend a place to stay ??

Yeah. San Quentin would be most appropriate. A longer stay than you had planned, probably.

.ta . .max . .

===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

On 30 Mar 2003 10:05:48 -0800, [email protected] (Terri Alvillar) wrote:

."Dpm" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:< .> > Right. I hate it when those condos wander out
into wildlife habitat .> > and race over the terrain scaring people and running over animals. .> >
Terri Alvillar .> > http://homepage.mac.com/terrialvillar/mountainbikedamage/PhotoAlbum11.html .> .>
Wow that looks a cool place to singletrack. .> Im planning a biking trip to the states and think
Marin county could be the .> destination. .> Terri do you know the area, and if so can you recommend
a place to stay ?? .> .> ta .> .> max . . .Yes, Max, I would be happy to: Marin County jail.

Great minds thik alike. I immediately thought of San Quentin. :)

.Terri Alvillar

===

. [email protected] (Terri Alvillar) wrote: . .> "Jeff Strickland" <[email protected]> wrote in message
.> news:<[email protected]>... .> .> > When we are talking about 30 or 40, or 100
visitor trips on a weekend, the .> > impact on habitat is negligible. Proof is that the habitat
continues to .> > thrive on either side of the trail even though the trail has been on the .> >
ground for several decades. .> .> What habitat? Lichens on granite boulders? See page 2 where
proof of .> wildlife habitat destruction is shown just to build illegal mountain .> bike trails.
Mountain bike singletrack is the most destructive and .> invasive form of trail building because
it requires the greatest .> excavation and the greatest number of switchbacks. The switchbacks .>
are built not for access but for entertainment. .> Terri Alvillar . ."Illegal mountain bike
trails" subtly implies that all mountain bike .trails are illegal. . .Less subtle is the assertion
that the construction of "mountain bike .trails" is significantly different from other trail
building and is far .more damaging. Quite the oppostite is true. One need only read the .extensive
trail building resources found at: .http://www.imba.com/resources/trail_building/index.html

If you could read, you would know that IMBA recommends creating "twisty" trails -- in other words,
they recommend destroying much more habitat than necessary. Twisty trails add considerable length.

.Of course Terri and mikey cannot be expected to recant even their most .outlandish claims. It's
just not in the cards.

The shoe is in the other mouth -- YOURS, fool.

.TD

===

On 30 Mar 2003 08:44:33 -0800, [email protected] (Terri Alvillar) wrote:

.Trekkie Dad <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>... .> Terri, your blatant bias is showing
again. . . .Bias is an opinion formed without examining the facts. My statements .about mountain
biking are based on facts. Watching the illegal .Tamarancho trail builders trespass on private
property every week for .several years is a fact. My neighbor being attacked with a hammer by .a
mountain biker working on an illegal trail, and her resulting black .eye, are facts. Marin County
Bicycle Coalition co-founder Chris Lang .being convicted of ramming his pickup truck through my
steel driveway .gate in a rage is a fact. The scars on Marin County hillsides from .mountain bike
use, and the cost to taxpayers to repair them, are .facts. The conviction of Michael More for
illegal building mountain .bike trails on federal land while serving on a government board, is a
.fact. The convictions of Neal Daskal and James McBride for helping .More build the illegal trails
are facts. Shall I go on?

Beating up a poor kiddie music teacher, who can't defend himself? Shame on you.... :)

.Terri Alvillar .http://homepage.mac.com/terrialvillar/mountainbikedamage/PhotoAlbum11.html

===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

On Mon, 31 Mar 2003 06:45:50 GMT, Trekkie Dad <[email protected]> wrote:

.In article <[email protected]>,
. [email protected] (Terri Alvillar) wrote: . .> Trekkie Dad <[email protected]> wrote in message
[...]
helping .> More build the illegal trails are facts. Shall I go on? .> Terri Alvillar . .Be my
guest. I can certainly see how the actions of a handful of .individuals have caused you to paint
all those who engage in off-road .bicycling with the same broad brush. Using the same Alvillar
brand of .Vandelogic(TM), I could declare all public school students incorrigible .thieves simply
because one or two of them has stolen candy out of a jar .in my classroom. It's a fact! . .As for
the "scars on Marin County hillsides from mountain bike use" et .cetera, you'd have a difficult
time proving that the "scars" were solely .attributable to bicycles, considering the much larger
numbers of hikers .and equestrians there.

If you can't tell the difference between footprints, hoofprints, and knobby tire tracks, you
are even stupider than you look. You should have stopped when you were ahead (before you opened
your mouth).
===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

Trekkie Dad <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Terri
> Alvillar) wrote:
>
> > Trekkie Dad <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:<[email protected]>...
> > > Terri, your blatant bias is showing again.
> >

> > Bias is an opinion formed without examining the facts. My statements about mountain biking are
> > based on facts. Watching the illegal Tamarancho trail builders trespass on private property
> > every week for several years is a fact. My neighbor being attacked with a hammer by a mountain
> > biker working on an illegal trail, and her resulting black eye, are facts. Marin County Bicycle
> > Coalition co-founder Chris Lang being convicted of ramming his pickup truck through my steel
> > driveway gate in a rage is a fact. The scars on Marin County hillsides from mountain bike use,
> > and the cost to taxpayers to repair them, are facts. The conviction of Michael More for illegal
> > building mountain bike trails on federal land while serving on a government board, is a fact.
> > The convictions of Neal Daskal and James McBride for helping More build the illegal trails are
> > facts. Shall I go on? Terri Alvillar
>
> Be my guest. I can certainly see how the actions of a handful of individuals have caused you to
> paint all those who engage in off-road bicycling with the same broad brush. Using the same
> Alvillar brand of Vandelogic(TM), I could declare all public school students incorrigible thieves
> simply because one or two of them has stolen candy out of a jar in my classroom. It's a fact!

Unfortunately it is not a "handful" of individuals; it is the majority. Further, it's the leaders of
mountain bike groups who have often been the most reprehensible as listed above. (The same above
referenced mountain biker with a hammer, a prominent realtor in Fairfax, made a police report that
his mountain bike had been stolen. The next day he was ticketed for riding the very bike he reported
stolen on an off-limits trail). They set the standard and have willing work crews with ready trail
building tools. It is the same leaders who pretend to be civic minded at public meetings then go out
building illegal trails when they leave. For example, Patrick Seidler, president of Wilderness Trail
Bikes who has sat on a couple of Marin County bike committees helped sponsor a mountain bike video
that featured illegal riding on County land, including a clip from the illegally built Medivac trail
in Novato which costs thousands of dollars to taxpayers - even mocking the Novato police. Doing
stunts on the California state building at night and urinating on a car in a public parking lot. No
- these are the leaders and unfortunately they set the standard. It is really a handful of mountain
bikers who have any respect whatsoever for the laws and other trail users. For six years, I yielded
to mountain bikers on the trail. Then I decided for the next six years I would exercise my right of
way. Result? Bikers swearing, threatening violence, hitting my dog, and hitting me. In the first two
years only ONE mountain biker yielded me the right of way. Mountain bikers have painted themselves
with their own brush.

On 31 Mar 2003 08:53:11 -0800, Terri Alvillar wrote:

> Unfortunately it is not a "handful" of individuals; it is the majority.

And yet you keep bringing up a few individuals...and making it sound like a global problem. There's
no way your biased view would make any sense where I live.

It certainly does sound like you have local issues, but don't blame them on us. We don't have those
issues, we don't know those people, and there's nothing we can do about your problems.

The bulldozers that come in in front of the condos actually do the distruction, the condos are
merely a sign of permamant human presence that the bulldozers foretell. You are just as stupid, and
even more lunatic, than Vandeman.

"Terri Alvillar" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Jeff Strickland" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:
>
> < Our significant encroachment that harms the animals is
> > condo complexes and golf courses.
>

> Right. I hate it when those condos wander out into wildlife habitat and race over the terrain
> scaring people and running over animals. Terri Alvillar
> http://homepage.mac.com/terrialvillar/mountainbikedamage/PhotoAlbum11.html

Lichens on a boulder grow on granite boulders over thousands of square feet, the trail takes a tiny
fraction of that. Switchbacks benefit foot traffic as well as bicycle traffic.

"Terri Alvillar" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Jeff Strickland" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> > When we are talking about 30 or 40, or 100 visitor trips on a weekend,
the
> > impact on habitat is negligible. Proof is that the habitat continues to thrive on either side of
> > the trail even though the trail has been on the ground for several decades.
>
> What habitat? Lichens on granite boulders? See page 2 where proof of wildlife habitat destruction
> is shown just to build illegal mountain bike trails. Mountain bike singletrack is the most
> destructive and invasive form of trail building because it requires the greatest excavation and
> the greatest number of switchbacks. The switchbacks are built not for access but for
> entertainment. Terri Alvillar
> http://homepage.mac.com/terrialvillar/mountainbikedamage/PhotoAlbum11.html

On 31 Mar 2003 17:11:21 GMT, BB <[email protected]> wrote:

.On 31 Mar 2003 08:53:11 -0800, Terri Alvillar wrote: . .> Unfortunately it is not a "handful" of
individuals; it is the .> majority. . .And yet you keep bringing up a few individuals...and making
it sound like .a global problem. There's no way your biased view would make any sense .where I live.
. .It certainly does sound like you have local issues, but don't blame them .on us. We don't have
those issues, we don't know those people, and there's .nothing we can do about your problems.

It's just science. We both have a very LARGE sample size, and MOST of the mountain bikers we have
met, here or in person, fit that description: disgusting, dishonest people. You included.
===

On Mon, 31 Mar 2003 09:50:08 -0800, "Jeff Strickland" <[email protected]> wrote:

.Lichens on a boulder grow on granite boulders over thousands of square feet, .the trail takes a
tiny fraction of that. Switchbacks benefit foot traffic as .well as bicycle traffic.

BS. IMBA recommends creating "twisty" trails that are much longer than they need to be, destroying
that much more habitat.