respraying frame

flubby

Nov 8, 2007
Hi All

I've got an old 1970's frame which I'm restoring and would like to get resprayed... I'm in two minds about doing a DIY jobby or leaving it to the professionals.

If it doesn't cost as much as I imagine it might, then I'll probably get someone to do it. Does anyone have any recommendations for a painter in Adelaide or Melbourne?

Has anyone else been through this process with any stories/thoughts to share??

You could try contacting Bicycle Recycle in Moorabbin in Melbourne. I think they have someone who paints for then & might be able to give you the contact details.

^ I think he's trying to cut back on bike painting, coz it ain't really worth it for him, but it's worth a try: 9555 8692. The last I heard it was about $140 for a one colour, non-pearl job; a bit more for pearl, and a 'bitbit' more for more than one colour.

Other than that, the Paconi guy (Kevin Wigham) might do it. He's in MacBeth St, Braeside: 9587 0688.

A lot of shops go to Wigham anyway, so you might avoid the shop's add-on

I've tried a few over the years, and the last one I did ended up being a bit of pain in the ****. It wasn't a good result, it cost about $70, and the stripping and sanding took a heap of time. Then you've gotta worry about having a suitable area for drying where it won't get bugs and other **** on it, etc.

If you have access to a proper gun, and you know sandblaster who won't rip you off, it might be worth doing it yourself, but I recommend getting a pro to do it.

flubby said:
Hi All

I've got an old 1970's frame which I'm restoring and would like to get resprayed... I'm in two minds about doing a DIY jobby or leaving it to the professionals.

If it doesn't cost as much as I imagine it might, then I'll probably get someone to do it. Does anyone have any recommendations for a painter in Adelaide or Melbourne?

Has anyone else been through this process with any stories/thoughts to share??

Gripsport in Melbourne will sandblast and powdercoat for roughly $110. They don't do wet paint for that price, but if you're looking to do it cheaply, then then consider powder coat.

www.gripsport.com.au

n

nerdag said:
Gripsport in Melbourne will sandblast and powdercoat for roughly $110. They don't do wet paint for that price, but if you're looking to do it cheaply, then then consider powder coat.

www.gripsport.com.au

n
Thanks guys! I didn't think of the powder coat option, what do you think of powder coating vs wet paint - I guess powder coating will be nice n tough, where as wet paint will have a nicer look, right?

flubby said:
powder coating will be nice n tough, where as wet paint will have a nicer look, right?
Pretty much spot on.

Powder coats work very well for beater bikes that you don't care too much about.

n