Rest after intense training

London knight

Oct 11, 2007
I was wondering what peoples thoughts were concerning a rest period after a particularly intense period of training . In my specific case. I have been training during winter months 7- 10 hrs/week at a TSS of approximately 80/day. This consisted of a combination of SST , FTP training and some endurance based riding. I have had the opportunity to head down to a warmer climate for two weeks . During the two weeks I was training full time and I ramped up my training considerably to 16-20 hrs/ week doing mostly endurance-based riding with periods at threshold while riding in the mountains. I have returned to my normal lifestyle (regular job as well as other obligations)and training regimen feeling quite strong and ready to race. Although I don’t feel the need physically for a rest period, my instincts tell me that it would probably be best to take some time to recover. So how much recovery is enough and what type of indicators could I use to determine when I am ready for some more intensity.

London knight said:
Although I don’t feel the need physically for a rest period, my instincts tell me that it would probably be best to take some time to recover. So how much recovery is enough and what type of indicators could I use to determine when I am ready for some more intensity.
Until your instincts tell you it's time? If your TSB is really low, you could wait for it to come back up some, but it depends on your goals, does it not? Do you want to build more CTL? Do you have a target event coming up? etc.

Animator said:
Until your instincts tell you it's time? If your TSB is really low, you could wait for it to come back up some, but it depends on your goals, does it not? Do you want to build more CTL? Do you have a target event coming up? etc.
Spin for a week, then start speedwork. It won't feel good for a few weeks, but one week things really start to click. Increase intensity reduce hours for 2-4 more weeks, and you are peaking.

If you are riding 16-20 hours a week, and then ride a 8 hour week with similar composition, isn't the 8 hour week going to be a rest week?

strader said:
If you are riding 16-20 hours a week, and then ride a 8 hour week with similar composition, isn't the 8 hour week going to be a rest week?
Generally, I think that you want to cut both duration and intensity for a rest week.At least I do anway.

London knight said:
I was wondering what peoples thoughts were concerning a rest period after a particularly intense period of training . In my specific case. I have been training during winter months 7- 10 hrs/week at a TSS of approximately 80/day. This consisted of a combination of SST , FTP training and some endurance based riding. I have had the opportunity to head down to a warmer climate for two weeks . During the two weeks I was training full time and I ramped up my training considerably to 16-20 hrs/ week doing mostly endurance-based riding with periods at threshold while riding in the mountains. I have returned to my normal lifestyle (regular job as well as other obligations)and training regimen feeling quite strong and ready to race. Although I don’t feel the need physically for a rest period, my instincts tell me that it would probably be best to take some time to recover. So how much recovery is enough and what type of indicators could I use to determine when I am ready for some more intensity.
I had the opportunity to do something similar recently (about 12 days in a warmer climate). It ended up being more TSS than I had planned for. I had planned on sticking to a certain CTL ceiling this year and I ended up finishing with CTL about 5% over my ceiling.. I saw it coming as the trip went on but after much hemming and hawing, I decided to let it happen.When I came home, I took several days off the bike to let my TSB come back to zero and to get caught up with my life. You may not need to wait for zero; -10 or better might be enough. (I should add that I cut back TSS for the 2 weeks before the trip as well.)

I lost a number of CTL points doing this but I really didn't care. I am pretty good at rebuilding CTL when I really need to. I am more interested in not burning out 6-8 weeks after the trip hence, I took (and will be taking) a bit more rest than I normally would.

I should add that I didn't have any important goals in the 2-4 weeks after the trip so taking that much time off wasn't "a big deal", as far as I was concerned.

My friend that went with me said that it took about 2 weeks to feel good on a bike again after the trip. I felt OK after my time off after the trip so YMMV, I guess.

London knight said:
If you don't feel tired or fatigued take a day or two just to get over the usual post "holiday" events - like unpacking, washing two weeks of clothes and cleaning the bike then have at it... Unless you travelled across multiple time zones and are going to be dealing with altered sleep patterns then I wouldn't worry about sitting around "just because"... If you feel mentally and physically fresh then get back on the bike!

Steve_B said:
I had the opportunity to do something similar recently (about 12 days in a warmer climate). It ended up being more TSS than I had planned for. I had planned on sticking to a certain CTL ceiling this year and I ended up finishing with CTL about 5% over my ceiling.. I saw it coming as the trip went on but after much hemming and hawing, I decided to let it happen.When I came home, I took several days off the bike to let my TSB come back to zero and to get caught up with my life. You may not need to wait for zero; -10 or better might be enough. (I should add that I cut back TSS for the 2 weeks before the trip as well.)

I lost a number of CTL points doing this but I really didn't care. I am pretty good at rebuilding CTL when I really need to. I am more interested in not burning out 6-8 weeks after the trip hence, I took (and will be taking) a bit more rest than I normally would.

I should add that I didn't have any important goals in the 2-4 weeks after the trip so taking that much time off wasn't "a big deal", as far as I was concerned.

My friend that went with me said that it took about 2 weeks to feel good on a bike again after the trip. I felt OK after my time off after the trip so YMMV, I guess.
Thanks for the input, This was my experience as well. My TSB was well into the negative values for the two weeks I was in the warm climate. Despite this, I never really felt fatigued and I was recovering well even though my TSS/day was almost doubled. Probably as a result of eliminating all of the distractions which can impede recovery (eg work, family committments etc) Since returning from my camp. I have gone back to my normal schedule for this time of year (~ 12 hr/week) after taking a recovery week which consisted of basically 1-2 hr rides in z2.

swampy1970 said:
If you don't feel tired or fatigued take a day or two just to get over the usual post "holiday" events - like unpacking, washing two weeks of clothes and cleaning the bike then have at it... Unless you travelled across multiple time zones and are going to be dealing with altered sleep patterns then I wouldn't worry about sitting around "just because"... If you feel mentally and physically fresh then get back on the bike!
for me, a day or two is not enough, it's different from different people

London knight said:
Thanks for the input, This was my experience as well. My TSB was well into the negative values for the two weeks I was in the warm climate. Despite this, I never really felt fatigued and I was recovering well even though my TSS/day was almost doubled. Probably as a result of eliminating all of the distractions which can impede recovery (eg work, family committments etc) Since returning from my camp. I have gone back to my normal schedule for this time of year (~ 12 hr/week) after taking a recovery week which consisted of basically 1-2 hr rides in z2.
Yeah, I was getting worried at about day 6. The fatigue was stacking up a bit (though I've felt worse for the same TSB before) and I was a little irritable. I wasn't sure if I was going to make it to the end. I was contemplating how many extra rest days I was going to take towards the end. Then somewhere around day 8 or so, I magically felt a lot better. I guess I compensated well. I even started putting out better power numbers at some durations than before the camp. For the final days, the only thing bothering me was my butt, which was not used to the duration day after day at all. I took some ibuprofen on the last day and it seemed to have helped. :cool::)

If you dont feel the need for rest then keep going, dont go nuts but if you really feel ok, then keep going.