Rest and recovery time?

Kenneth Garrido

May 29, 2018
I just recently started riding. less than a month. I am up to 30 miles in just under two hours every single day. A little bit of soreness but not much. My question is if I want to go to 40 or 50 or even 60 miles a day every single day, should I be taking a one-day-a-week rest or is it okay to do it everyday?

I'd absolutely recommend taking a day off every week. I remember reading an article on gold medalist Olympic athletes a while ago, and even they train six days a week and take one day off for rest.

Most doctors and personal trainers would agree that whether you train at an Olympic or casual level, it is necessary to give your body a break. Your muscles repair themselves during periods of rest and recovery, and this means that when you get back to training you'll be even stronger. Without that crucial resting period, you're risking over-training yourself in the long run, which can result in fatigue and even injury. If you get to that point, you'll need to rest and recover for a lot longer than just one day a week.

It's best to avoid that degree of over-training, and therefore I'd recommend taking that one-day-a-week to rest.

It is necessary that you check out how much miles that your body can be able to ride so as not to break down totally. If it is possible, you should get some pain relievers if you want to be riding everyday in order to build your stamina in the world of cycling. It is never easy, but that doesn't mean that it is not possible to achieve. Taking a rest for a day or two is also nice as long as you can continue the next day.