Rest Day

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Scott Downie, Jan 23, 2003.

  1. Scott Downie

    Scott Downie Guest

    I know this has been discussed here before, but what was the general consensus on rest days, no
    activity at all for maximum recovery, or light activity? I have a hard time keeping my activity
    low enough to have max recovery. So maybe I should not ride at all and receive maximum rest.
    Thanks Scott

    Tags:

  2. Steve

    Steve Guest

    On 12/23/02 9:48 AM, in article P%[email protected], "Scott Downie"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I know this has been discussed here before, but what was the general consensus on rest days, no
    > activity at all for maximum recovery, or light activity?
    "light" activity sex is OK if performed while in the recliner as long as your feet are above heart
    level.........

    I have a hard time keeping my activity low enough to have max
    > recovery. So maybe I should not ride at all and receive maximum rest. Thanks Scott

  3. Warren

    Warren Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I know this has been discussed here before, but what was the general consensus on rest days, no
    > activity at all for maximum recovery, or light activity? I have a hard time keeping my activity
    > low enough to have max recovery. So maybe I should not ride at all and receive maximum rest.
    > Thanks Scott

    Increased blood flow to your muscles will help them recover faster and the other benefit of an easy
    ride is that you stay "loose". If you get tired from an easy 45-60 minute ride then you need more
    than one day of rest. In this case, don't ride at all one day and then go easy for an hour the
    following day.

    -WG

  4. Michael Hoyt

    Michael Hoyt Guest

    Twenty minutes in an easy gear with fairly high cadence and then stretching afterwards seems to work
    well for me.

    Scott Downie wrote:

    > I know this has been discussed here before, but what was the general consensus on rest days, no
    > activity at all for maximum recovery, or light activity? I have a hard time keeping my activity
    > low enough to have max recovery. So maybe I should not ride at all and receive maximum rest.
    > Thanks Scott

  5. I think rest days from RBR are a great thing.

    It takes allot of perceived effort to constantly maintain a Lactate Pulse while writing, viewing and
    responding with laughs, giggles and anger to this newsgroup.

    I plan "periodization" were as I spend progressively more hours on RBR building up to about 20 hours
    a week. Then after that "breakthrough week" I plan about 7 or so hours just cruising the net with
    some of that time on RBR.

    My "annual training RBR plan" looks like this: Preparation phase - 2 weeks in November - Use this
    time to spell check and learn to type fast again.

    Base 1, 2, 3 - From mid November to March 1st - this is when you generally work on endurance at the
    keyboard (Base 1) Progressing into working on limiters such as slow typing, non witty responses,
    stupid attacking posts, etc. (Base 2) Finally during Base 3 your work on harder near LT efforts.
    Items such as checking RBR from you cell phone, sidekick or other remote device. Base 3 is also when
    you want to retest yourself on a ramp test. This test determines your RBR power at Heart rate. RBR
    zones which include Zone 1 - shadow reading Zone 2 - Aerobic output Zone 3 - Tempo anger Zone 4 -
    Sub Neanderthal threshold Zone 5a - Threshold RBRing Zone 5b - Anaerobic Capacity to post and
    respond Zone 5C - Max RBR exertion

    Build 1, 2 March to April - During Build 1 you work feverishly on Anaerobic Typos, race efforts at
    the keyboard. This stuff is tough work. Without proper base training and rest cycles one can burn
    out from this newsgroup. One good Anaerobic workout is to respond to your own posts before anyone
    else can! Burnout signs are - No threads to your posts, remarks less than 2 sentences, etc Build 2 -
    Continue with Anaerobic stuff and prepare yourself for the hard stuff to come.

    Peak weeks Well, during peeks weeks here on RBR things get happy happy. Numerous rants, raves,
    remarks and basically you are unstoppable.

    It takes allot of discipline to stay focused with this program but the rewards are worth it. I would
    recommend if you are a newer rider and want to build up to Lame Ass Cat 1 or 12k Dreamer Pro level
    so that you do "only the big posts" you SHOULD GET A RBR COACH. There are many fine guys willing to
    help you out. Contact Ronde Champ Maurice VeloRod Waddell Kunich Papai (he must be in shadow reading
    training) Cafe de Colombia and others

    Hope all of this helps,

    David Sommerville http://davidsommerville.com

    "Steve" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:BA2C9174.EB4E%[email protected]...
    > On 12/23/02 9:48 AM, in article P%[email protected], "Scott Downie"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > I know this has been discussed here before, but what was the general consensus on rest days, no
    > > activity at all for maximum recovery, or
    light
    > > activity?
    > "light" activity sex is OK if performed while in the recliner as long as your feet are above heart
    > level.........
    >

    > I have a hard time keeping my activity low enough to have max
    > > recovery. So maybe I should not ride at all and receive maximum rest. Thanks Scott

  6. Dan Connelly

    Dan Connelly Guest

    spin to a yoga class, and back home.