Rest days?

Steve

Guest
Hi,

I'm doing some really basic weights because I've read it helps with weight
loss and also I don't mind the look of gaining a bit of muscle in the upper
body and arms but don't really want to bulk up big time. I just do a few
basic excercises, pushups, situps, bicep curls, pull ups, lifting above the
head, back extensions and a few other excercises I can make up with a couple
of dumbells.

The reps range from 20 to 5 depending and I just kinda do it till I feel
I've had enough. My question is, is it important to have rest days in
between workouts? Sometimes I'm sore and take a rest day or two or skip the
excercise if its still really hurting from the last time. But lately I've
found I'm not really getting sore and could work out every day. Is this a
bad thing? If I don't take a breaks am I limiting the effectiveness of my
workouts even though I feel great?

Also, I do a cardio workout most days, does this factor into it at all?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Steve,
I would also recommend that you also do dumbell rows since you are
using dumbells. These are one of my favorite exercises. I would
recommend that you get at least a day rest after you have worked a body
part so that your muscles have time to heal and not get overtrained.
Since your routine is a full body workout this would mean every other
day. On the full body subject, where is your leg exercise? Lifting
some weights with the legs utilizes your biggest muscle group and would
be beneficial in your goals of trimming down (muscle weight may be
added so weight loss is not always the most accurate determination of
fitness when beginning weightlifting). Since it sounds like you are
working out at home with dumbells you could do some squats while
holding the dumbells and also do step-ups while holding the dumbells.
If you are not tired the day after your workout I would suggest
increasing the intensity. Don't worry about bulking up, if you are not
conciously eating to do this and are actually looking to lose fat
bulking too much won't be a problem. If you are eating a healthy diet
with enough protein and not excess calories you should be happy with
the results. Bulking requires excess calories.
Keep track of the weight you lift and the reps and move them up
accordingly as you go to keep yourself motivated and progressing.
I hope this helps.
James

Good reply James,
I am a relatively beginner too (1+ yrs). I have realized that though
the body doesn't really seem sore it does need rest! As an example, I
used to work out my legs twice a week (3 times upper body). But when I
experimented with just once a week (I wanted to increase my upperbody
to 4 times a week!), I realized that my legs could handle more weights
more than what I thought they would (ex: increased 90lbs in leg press).

So the bottom line, I would say is, give your body a little bit more
rest than you FEEL. You will be surprised that you could signficantly
use more weights with relatively more rest.

Ravi

Thanks James. I don't work out the legs as they get a workout when I go
bike riding or running and they're toned enough as it is. I'm still
dropping fat at a regular rate which is my main goal. I just want to make
sure I maintain or even build a little definition in the upper body.

What is a dumbell row?

news:[email protected]...

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 17:18:55 GMT, "Steve" <[email protected]> wrote:

>What is a dumbell row?

Everyone from MFW lined up at the annual "MFW picnic".

TBR

White House will be adorned by a downright moron."
H.L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)
"Anyone with degrees from Yale and Harvard is presumed to be intelligent,
but George W. Bush has managed to overcome that presumption."