Rest vs. Recovery

andrew10011 wrote in message
<[email protected]>...
>Why are recoveries recommended over rest? Or is this not the case? I
>think I read somewhere that recoveries help to reduce lactic acid ,
>but then I read a story in NYT that the day-after soreness may not be
>due to la, but to small muscle tears.
>
>NYT story:

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/11/16/health/nutrition/16sore.html?oref=login

Lactic Acid is metabolized well before the next day, so its not about la.
Recoveries probably help circulate nutrients and proteins that help repair
damage. There are times though, at least for me, when complete rest is
necessary after a hard race. Other systems stressed during longer races
take longer to recover as well, such as the endocrine system. Mild activity
when there isn't too much damage can overall stimulate the body to repair.

-Tony

I think that recoveries are preferred because they work the aerobic system
without causing wear and tear over the muscle tissues. la is gone long
before the next day, as Tony said. By doing recovery trainings, you can keep
the form of aerobic system, which can decline in small proportions if
rested. Of course this is not to say you should never rest, you should also
incorporate complete rest days into your program.

All of these are just educated guesses based on my personal experience and
it may be that I am wrong of course.

--
Remove the obvious part to reply
Burak