Rest Weeks During Marathon Training

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Joe, Feb 15, 2004.

  1. Joe

    Joe Guest

    My wife and I are preparing for Boston Marathon. We started our 12 week build up 4 weeks ago. We
    did 56-58-60mpw over the first three weeks and then took a planned down week. We only did 23 miles
    over the down week so far, deciding to dump today's 12 mile run in favor of resting. I managed to
    obtain an a shin splint in my right shin this week which has led me to change my stride, thus
    straining my left hip.

    Last year leading up to a spring marathon we did a lot of 50 mile weeks, although very
    inconsistently. This year I am aiming to break 3 hours and my wife is trying to do ~3:05. Our 15K
    and 5K times predict that we are capable of doing this.

    I wonder if we overdid it? I never felt like I was drying the well up during the three weeks at all.
    In fact I felt a little tired in the middle of the second week and managed to feel pretty good by
    the end of the third week. I don't feel overtrained, more like I just need a rest. I have a pretty
    good sense of when I'm overtraining and I don't have any of the related feelings.

    We've done some tough workouts; 7x1 at 6:30 8x1 at 6:30, 3x3 @6:45, and 8 miles @6:50. We've also
    thrown in two speed workouts, and 3 long runs of 18, 19, and 20. All the long runs were sub-7:30
    pace and the 20 miler was
    7:20. It also has been cold and windy these last couple of weeks, with plenty of snow and ice on
    the ground.

    Is it okay to take a week down this far in the middle of the big miles? Or should we spread our work
    out more. We plan on doing a half marathon 5 weeks out from the marathon to see where our fitness
    is. We've also found that a 2 week taper works really well for us.

    Sorry for all the information, just curious to see whether we're heading for trouble.

    Joe

    Tags:

  2. ahass

    ahass Guest

    It sounds like you're doing fine. Take the rest if you need it although that's quite a drop if you
    planned it that way. If you get strung out after three weeks, shorten it to two hard weeks and then
    a down week...but if you're work weeks are 50 then your down week will be 35-40. Andy Hass

  3. Joe

    Joe Guest

    I figure since I don't feel burned out, its not a big deal. I just want to rest. I feel like I'm
    putting in some quality work during the 3 weeks on.

    As an interesting anecdote. Greg Lemond (Tour De France cyclist), used to train 4-5 weeks really
    hard and then take a week completely off; no biking, running, weights, etc. Just rest. He would do
    that in the lead up to big races.

    jOe