Rest Weeks During Marathon Training

Joe

Guest
My wife and I are preparing for Boston Marathon. We started our 12 week build up 4 weeks ago. We
did 56-58-60mpw over the first three weeks and then took a planned down week. We only did 23 miles
over the down week so far, deciding to dump today's 12 mile run in favor of resting. I managed to
obtain an a shin splint in my right shin this week which has led me to change my stride, thus
straining my left hip.

Last year leading up to a spring marathon we did a lot of 50 mile weeks, although very
inconsistently. This year I am aiming to break 3 hours and my wife is trying to do ~3:05. Our 15K
and 5K times predict that we are capable of doing this.

I wonder if we overdid it? I never felt like I was drying the well up during the three weeks at all.
In fact I felt a little tired in the middle of the second week and managed to feel pretty good by
the end of the third week. I don't feel overtrained, more like I just need a rest. I have a pretty
good sense of when I'm overtraining and I don't have any of the related feelings.

We've done some tough workouts; 7x1 at 6:30 8x1 at 6:30, 3x3 @6:45, and 8 miles @6:50. We've also
thrown in two speed workouts, and 3 long runs of 18, 19, and 20. All the long runs were sub-7:30
pace and the 20 miler was
7:20. It also has been cold and windy these last couple of weeks, with plenty of snow and ice on
the ground.

Is it okay to take a week down this far in the middle of the big miles? Or should we spread our work
out more. We plan on doing a half marathon 5 weeks out from the marathon to see where our fitness
is. We've also found that a 2 week taper works really well for us.

Sorry for all the information, just curious to see whether we're heading for trouble.

Joe

ahass

Guest
It sounds like you're doing fine. Take the rest if you need it although that's quite a drop if you
planned it that way. If you get strung out after three weeks, shorten it to two hard weeks and then
a down week...but if you're work weeks are 50 then your down week will be 35-40. Andy Hass

Joe

Guest
I figure since I don't feel burned out, its not a big deal. I just want to rest. I feel like I'm
putting in some quality work during the 3 weeks on.

As an interesting anecdote. Greg Lemond (Tour De France cyclist), used to train 4-5 weeks really
hard and then take a week completely off; no biking, running, weights, etc. Just rest. He would do
that in the lead up to big races.

jOe