Restarted Low Carb question

PeterProject

Guest
I tried Low Carb Dieting 3 years ago and loved it. I lost over 35 lbs
(my goal) and was able to slowly add carbs back into my diet. A little
under a year when I began, I began cheating a little and then gave up
on the diet and added the weight back. It was a slow process, but the
35 pounds are back. I have tried other diets but had no sucess so I
restarted on Low Carb and love it again! The thing I am surprised
about, and which leads me to this posting, is: Has anyone else
restarted a Low Carb diet and experienced great results? I heard
stories that if you have done it once, restarting is very difficult. I
have not found this and have seen my Ketostix strips turn deep purple
in less than 7 days! Any thoughts?

PeterProject wrote:
> I tried Low Carb Dieting 3 years ago and loved it. I lost over 35 lbs
> (my goal) and was able to slowly add carbs back into my diet. A little
> under a year when I began, I began cheating a little and then gave up
> on the diet and added the weight back. It was a slow process, but the
> 35 pounds are back. I have tried other diets but had no sucess so I
> restarted on Low Carb and love it again! The thing I am surprised
> about, and which leads me to this posting, is: Has anyone else
> restarted a Low Carb diet and experienced great results? I heard
> stories that if you have done it once, restarting is very difficult. I
> have not found this and have seen my Ketostix strips turn deep purple
> in less than 7 days! Any thoughts?

About 4 years ago, I did the low carb thing (Atkins) with exercise and
lost a good deal of weight. I dropped 40 pouinds in about 6 months
(I'm 5-5 and weighed 260 to start) and loved it. I have since put on
all of that weight and more, and have unsuccessfully started low carb
numerous times. What has happened is I will get myself into ketosis in
about 2 days, stay there for 2 weeks and not lose anything. The
diferences are that four years ago I was fairly militant about eating
regularly, steering (almost 100%) clear of bars and shakes, drinking
1.5 or more gallons of water per day, and exercising vigorously 3-5
times per week. Lately, I have not been so disciplined, and failing to
see results after two or three weeks, I cheat and then chuck the whole
thing. Even with purple strips, I wasn't losing right out of the gate.

To sum up, my failures with restarting LC are entirely my own, but I
started again last week. I am correcting all of the problems named
above.

1) I am exercising every day- strength training on Tues, Thurs, Sat
and aerobic training on the off days. I am using a Total Gym (Chuck
Norris!!)

2) I am religiously taking my supplements, including a pre-natal
multi, C, calcium, B complex, chromium, and fish oil. The pre-natals
have a stool softner, which really helps.

3) I am keeping careful track of what I eat, and have prepared a neat
spreadsheet that looks up carb/fat/protein data to tabulate for me.

4) I am steering clear of diet pop (1 green tea, lipton citrus diet
type at lunch is my exception), bars and shakes.

5) I am eating vegetables with every lunch and dinner. Favorites
include broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, brussels sprouts, cabbage,
lettuce, cucumbers, peppers and onions.

I have noticed a pervasive slight headache that gets bad after about 30
minutes of exercise. Perhaps I am low in potassium?

Results? I have lost 6 pounds in my first week, I am sleeping better
and I feel mentally less foggy.

"LC Scotty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> PeterProject wrote:
>> I tried Low Carb Dieting 3 years ago and loved it. I lost over 35 lbs
>> (my goal) and was able to slowly add carbs back into my diet. A little
>> under a year when I began, I began cheating a little and then gave up
>> on the diet and added the weight back. It was a slow process, but the
>> 35 pounds are back. I have tried other diets but had no sucess so I
>> restarted on Low Carb and love it again! The thing I am surprised
>> about, and which leads me to this posting, is: Has anyone else
>> restarted a Low Carb diet and experienced great results? I heard
>> stories that if you have done it once, restarting is very difficult. I
>> have not found this and have seen my Ketostix strips turn deep purple
>> in less than 7 days! Any thoughts?

> About 4 years ago, I did the low carb thing (Atkins) with exercise and
> lost a good deal of weight. I dropped 40 pouinds in about 6 months
> (I'm 5-5 and weighed 260 to start) and loved it. I have since put on
> all of that weight and more, and have unsuccessfully started low carb
> numerous times. What has happened is I will get myself into ketosis in
> about 2 days, stay there for 2 weeks and not lose anything. The
> diferences are that four years ago I was fairly militant about eating
> regularly, steering (almost 100%) clear of bars and shakes, drinking
> 1.5 or more gallons of water per day, and exercising vigorously 3-5
> times per week. Lately, I have not been so disciplined, and failing to
> see results after two or three weeks, I cheat and then chuck the whole
> thing. Even with purple strips, I wasn't losing right out of the gate.
>
> To sum up, my failures with restarting LC are entirely my own, but I
> started again last week. I am correcting all of the problems named
> above.
>
> 1) I am exercising every day- strength training on Tues, Thurs, Sat
> and aerobic training on the off days. I am using a Total Gym (Chuck
> Norris!!)
>
> 2) I am religiously taking my supplements, including a pre-natal
> multi, C, calcium, B complex, chromium, and fish oil. The pre-natals
> have a stool softner, which really helps.
>
> 3) I am keeping careful track of what I eat, and have prepared a neat
> spreadsheet that looks up carb/fat/protein data to tabulate for me.
>
> 4) I am steering clear of diet pop (1 green tea, lipton citrus diet
> type at lunch is my exception), bars and shakes.
>
> 5) I am eating vegetables with every lunch and dinner. Favorites
> include broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, brussels sprouts, cabbage,
> lettuce, cucumbers, peppers and onions.
>
> I have noticed a pervasive slight headache that gets bad after about 30
> minutes of exercise. Perhaps I am low in potassium?
>
> Results? I have lost 6 pounds in my first week, I am sleeping better
> and I feel mentally less foggy.

Great job!

On 19 Feb 2006 08:16:39 -0800, "PeterProject" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I tried Low Carb Dieting 3 years ago and loved it. I lost over 35 lbs
>(my goal) and was able to slowly add carbs back into my diet. A little
>under a year when I began, I began cheating a little and then gave up
>on the diet and added the weight back. It was a slow process, but the
>35 pounds are back. I have tried other diets but had no sucess so I
>restarted on Low Carb and love it again! The thing I am surprised
>about, and which leads me to this posting, is: Has anyone else
>restarted a Low Carb diet and experienced great results? I heard
>stories that if you have done it once, restarting is very difficult. I
>have not found this and have seen my Ketostix strips turn deep purple
>in less than 7 days! Any thoughts?

I lost about 20 pounds on LC two years ago, and managed to gain it all
back. You know the routine: death in the family, Christmas,
all-inclusive vacation, then you just throw your hands up in the air
and surrender to the pizza. :)

I started back again last Monday, and have lost 4 pounds in the six
days. I'm keeping track of everything on FitDay, and I know my carb
intake isn't quite where it should be (around 30g/day), but I'm not
eating anything I shouldn't be, and calories seem to be hovering
around 1,500 to 1,700.

I'm hoping this weight will be gone by the end of April.

Jo Anne

>> I have noticed a pervasive slight headache that gets bad after about 30
>> minutes of exercise. Perhaps I am low in potassium?

I always get a headache when I am not properly hydrated. You are exercising
at the time, so perhaps you need water.

Pat in TX

"Jo Anne Slaven" <[email protected]> wrote in

> I'm hoping this weight will be gone by the end of April.

It should just be a question of time, not hope! :)

This is my second time around in 3 years, and taking the patience approach
to losing weight!
Instead of going Gung Ho from the start & burning out, I'm starting a simple
routine of LC along with a mild walking program.
By September I should be wearing clothes that fit more comfortable and I
don't look heavy.

At 46, I don't need to look like a Bone Rack, just somebody that looks
happy in a pair of 38's! ;-)

--
LC again since 1/14/06
277/256/220

"LC Scotty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> PeterProject wrote:
>> I tried Low Carb Dieting 3 years ago and loved it. I lost over 35 lbs
>> (my goal) and was able to slowly add carbs back into my diet. A little
>> under a year when I began, I began cheating a little and then gave up
>> on the diet and added the weight back. It was a slow process, but the
>> 35 pounds are back. I have tried other diets but had no sucess so I
>> restarted on Low Carb and love it again! The thing I am surprised
>> about, and which leads me to this posting, is: Has anyone else
>> restarted a Low Carb diet and experienced great results? I heard
>> stories that if you have done it once, restarting is very difficult. I
>> have not found this and have seen my Ketostix strips turn deep purple
>> in less than 7 days! Any thoughts?

> About 4 years ago, I did the low carb thing (Atkins) with exercise and
> lost a good deal of weight. I dropped 40 pouinds in about 6 months
> (I'm 5-5 and weighed 260 to start) and loved it. I have since put on
> all of that weight and more, and have unsuccessfully started low carb
> numerous times. What has happened is I will get myself into ketosis in
> about 2 days, stay there for 2 weeks and not lose anything. The
> diferences are that four years ago I was fairly militant about eating
> regularly, steering (almost 100%) clear of bars and shakes, drinking
> 1.5 or more gallons of water per day, and exercising vigorously 3-5
> times per week. Lately, I have not been so disciplined, and failing to
> see results after two or three weeks, I cheat and then chuck the whole
> thing. Even with purple strips, I wasn't losing right out of the gate.
>
> To sum up, my failures with restarting LC are entirely my own, but I
> started again last week. I am correcting all of the problems named
> above.
>
> 1) I am exercising every day- strength training on Tues, Thurs, Sat
> and aerobic training on the off days. I am using a Total Gym (Chuck
> Norris!!)
>
> 2) I am religiously taking my supplements, including a pre-natal
> multi, C, calcium, B complex, chromium, and fish oil. The pre-natals
> have a stool softner, which really helps.
>
> 3) I am keeping careful track of what I eat, and have prepared a neat
> spreadsheet that looks up carb/fat/protein data to tabulate for me.
>
> 4) I am steering clear of diet pop (1 green tea, lipton citrus diet
> type at lunch is my exception), bars and shakes.
>
> 5) I am eating vegetables with every lunch and dinner. Favorites
> include broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, brussels sprouts, cabbage,
> lettuce, cucumbers, peppers and onions.
>
> I have noticed a pervasive slight headache that gets bad after about 30
> minutes of exercise. Perhaps I am low in potassium?
>
> Results? I have lost 6 pounds in my first week, I am sleeping better
> and I feel mentally less foggy.

I read that nearly 80% of the people who have successfully kept the weight
off for 5 years or more report that they attempted weight loss before. So
don't worry about failure, but lose this time with the commitment to making
long term and habitual changes. If at first you don't succeed, try again.

On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 11:46:28 -0500, "Joe the Aroma"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I read that nearly 80% of the people who have successfully kept the weight
>off for 5 years or more report that they attempted weight loss before. So
>don't worry about failure, but lose this time with the commitment to making
>long term and habitual changes. If at first you don't succeed, try again.

Same thing goes with smoking. I'm about 2 1/2 years smoke-free. I
figure I can do as well with weight loss, one of these days :)

"Jo Anne Slaven" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 11:46:28 -0500, "Joe the Aroma"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>I read that nearly 80% of the people who have successfully kept the weight
>>off for 5 years or more report that they attempted weight loss before. So
>>don't worry about failure, but lose this time with the commitment to
>>making
>>long term and habitual changes. If at first you don't succeed, try again.

> Same thing goes with smoking. I'm about 2 1/2 years smoke-free. I
> figure I can do as well with weight loss, one of these days :)

De-lurking to say: I totally agree with the above statement. I am smoke free
for almost 3 years now (April 5), and I started the low-carb life January 1
of this year, figuring if I can stay smoke free for three years, I can
surely control what I eat. So far it's working. I'm down 22 lbs and I can
see me eating this way forever.

Ms. Jean
--
*****************
We are what we repeatedly do.

"Jo Anne Slaven" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 11:46:28 -0500, "Joe the Aroma"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>I read that nearly 80% of the people who have successfully kept the weight
>>off for 5 years or more report that they attempted weight loss before. So
>>don't worry about failure, but lose this time with the commitment to
>>making
>>long term and habitual changes. If at first you don't succeed, try again.

> Same thing goes with smoking. I'm about 2 1/2 years smoke-free. I
> figure I can do as well with weight loss, one of these days :)

I'm sorry but make no bones about it, staying at a healthy weight is far
more difficult than quitting smoking. Imagine telling someone that they
needed to smoke 1 cigarette a day or they'd die and if they smoked more than
1 a day they'd get fat and die. You can go the rest of your life without
cigs and I suppose you can go for the rest of your life without food but
that life would be considerably shortened.

Joe the Aroma wrote:
> "Jo Anne Slaven" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 11:46:28 -0500, "Joe the Aroma"
>><[email protected]> wrote:
>>

>>>I read that nearly 80% of the people who have successfully kept the weight
>>>off for 5 years or more report that they attempted weight loss before. So
>>>don't worry about failure, but lose this time with the commitment to
>>>making
>>>long term and habitual changes. If at first you don't succeed, try again.

>>Same thing goes with smoking. I'm about 2 1/2 years smoke-free. I
>>figure I can do as well with weight loss, one of these days :)

> I'm sorry but make no bones about it, staying at a healthy weight is far
> more difficult than quitting smoking. Imagine telling someone that they
> needed to smoke 1 cigarette a day or they'd die and if they smoked more than
> 1 a day they'd get fat and die. You can go the rest of your life without
> cigs and I suppose you can go for the rest of your life without food but
> that life would be considerably shortened.

I think there is a lot of truth to what you say, Joe.

You can elect to not be around cigarettes, and thus put a modest
"barrier" between you and the addictive substance.

You can't elect to not be around food, and you have no modest physical
"barrier" between you and food. You only have to overconsume healthy
food, and you eventually gain the weight back.

I have heard that drug addicts in rehab centers used to claim that
kicking heroin was much easier than quitting smoking.

So, establishing and keeping healthy eating habits could be said to be
harder than kickig heroin AND harder than lifelong ceasing smoking.

Alcoholics also claim that smoking is harder to kill than drinking. If
true, then it would appear that establishing healthy eating habits is
harder than getting off booze, kicking heroin or forever quitting smoking.

I took a "quit smoking" class from the American Lung Association in
about 1986. There were 12 people in the class.

Several folks gave up before the class was finished.

When the 10 week class ended, there were 3 people who were non-smokers.
My then boss took the same class I did and he was smoking again before
the class ended. He got intense headaches from not smoking, but he was
determined to try again another time.

After a month, there were just 2 people who were non-smokers.

After another month, there was just 1 (one) non-smoker.

I am the non-smoker. I took the class in 1986, so I am 20 years without
smoking.

Quitting smoking was easy, I had done it almost a dozen times before.

Never smoking is initially hard, but after a few years, it appears to
become a permanent condition.

It is my hope that after a couple of years, weight control will become a
permanent condition too.

What do long term weight loss folks say about their attitude towards the
condition becomming permanent?

My Mom lost about 40 or more pounds when I was about eight years old.
She kept it off for the rest of her mentally active life (till about 70
years old) and gained very little in the 10 years she lived in a nursing
home.

Maybe it rubs off.

--
1) Eat Till SATISFIED, Not STUFFED... Atkins repeated 9 times in the book
2) Exercise: It's Non-Negotiable..... Chapter 22 title, Atkins book