Restarted Low Carb question

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by PeterProject, Feb 19, 2006.

  1. PeterProject

    PeterProject Guest

    I tried Low Carb Dieting 3 years ago and loved it. I lost over 35 lbs
    (my goal) and was able to slowly add carbs back into my diet. A little
    under a year when I began, I began cheating a little and then gave up
    on the diet and added the weight back. It was a slow process, but the
    35 pounds are back. I have tried other diets but had no sucess so I
    restarted on Low Carb and love it again! The thing I am surprised
    about, and which leads me to this posting, is: Has anyone else
    restarted a Low Carb diet and experienced great results? I heard
    stories that if you have done it once, restarting is very difficult. I
    have not found this and have seen my Ketostix strips turn deep purple
    in less than 7 days! Any thoughts?

    Tags:

  2. LC Scotty

    LC Scotty Guest

    PeterProject wrote:
    > I tried Low Carb Dieting 3 years ago and loved it. I lost over 35 lbs
    > (my goal) and was able to slowly add carbs back into my diet. A little
    > under a year when I began, I began cheating a little and then gave up
    > on the diet and added the weight back. It was a slow process, but the
    > 35 pounds are back. I have tried other diets but had no sucess so I
    > restarted on Low Carb and love it again! The thing I am surprised
    > about, and which leads me to this posting, is: Has anyone else
    > restarted a Low Carb diet and experienced great results? I heard
    > stories that if you have done it once, restarting is very difficult. I
    > have not found this and have seen my Ketostix strips turn deep purple
    > in less than 7 days! Any thoughts?

    About 4 years ago, I did the low carb thing (Atkins) with exercise and
    lost a good deal of weight. I dropped 40 pouinds in about 6 months
    (I'm 5-5 and weighed 260 to start) and loved it. I have since put on
    all of that weight and more, and have unsuccessfully started low carb
    numerous times. What has happened is I will get myself into ketosis in
    about 2 days, stay there for 2 weeks and not lose anything. The
    diferences are that four years ago I was fairly militant about eating
    regularly, steering (almost 100%) clear of bars and shakes, drinking
    1.5 or more gallons of water per day, and exercising vigorously 3-5
    times per week. Lately, I have not been so disciplined, and failing to
    see results after two or three weeks, I cheat and then chuck the whole
    thing. Even with purple strips, I wasn't losing right out of the gate.

    To sum up, my failures with restarting LC are entirely my own, but I
    started again last week. I am correcting all of the problems named
    above.

    1) I am exercising every day- strength training on Tues, Thurs, Sat
    and aerobic training on the off days. I am using a Total Gym (Chuck
    Norris!!)

    2) I am religiously taking my supplements, including a pre-natal
    multi, C, calcium, B complex, chromium, and fish oil. The pre-natals
    have a stool softner, which really helps.

    3) I am keeping careful track of what I eat, and have prepared a neat
    spreadsheet that looks up carb/fat/protein data to tabulate for me.

    4) I am steering clear of diet pop (1 green tea, lipton citrus diet
    type at lunch is my exception), bars and shakes.

    5) I am eating vegetables with every lunch and dinner. Favorites
    include broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, brussels sprouts, cabbage,
    lettuce, cucumbers, peppers and onions.

    I have noticed a pervasive slight headache that gets bad after about 30
    minutes of exercise. Perhaps I am low in potassium?

    Results? I have lost 6 pounds in my first week, I am sleeping better
    and I feel mentally less foggy.

  3. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    "LC Scotty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > PeterProject wrote:
    >> I tried Low Carb Dieting 3 years ago and loved it. I lost over 35 lbs
    >> (my goal) and was able to slowly add carbs back into my diet. A little
    >> under a year when I began, I began cheating a little and then gave up
    >> on the diet and added the weight back. It was a slow process, but the
    >> 35 pounds are back. I have tried other diets but had no sucess so I
    >> restarted on Low Carb and love it again! The thing I am surprised
    >> about, and which leads me to this posting, is: Has anyone else
    >> restarted a Low Carb diet and experienced great results? I heard
    >> stories that if you have done it once, restarting is very difficult. I
    >> have not found this and have seen my Ketostix strips turn deep purple
    >> in less than 7 days! Any thoughts?

    > About 4 years ago, I did the low carb thing (Atkins) with exercise and
    > lost a good deal of weight. I dropped 40 pouinds in about 6 months
    > (I'm 5-5 and weighed 260 to start) and loved it. I have since put on
    > all of that weight and more, and have unsuccessfully started low carb
    > numerous times. What has happened is I will get myself into ketosis in
    > about 2 days, stay there for 2 weeks and not lose anything. The
    > diferences are that four years ago I was fairly militant about eating
    > regularly, steering (almost 100%) clear of bars and shakes, drinking
    > 1.5 or more gallons of water per day, and exercising vigorously 3-5
    > times per week. Lately, I have not been so disciplined, and failing to
    > see results after two or three weeks, I cheat and then chuck the whole
    > thing. Even with purple strips, I wasn't losing right out of the gate.
    >
    > To sum up, my failures with restarting LC are entirely my own, but I
    > started again last week. I am correcting all of the problems named
    > above.
    >
    > 1) I am exercising every day- strength training on Tues, Thurs, Sat
    > and aerobic training on the off days. I am using a Total Gym (Chuck
    > Norris!!)
    >
    > 2) I am religiously taking my supplements, including a pre-natal
    > multi, C, calcium, B complex, chromium, and fish oil. The pre-natals
    > have a stool softner, which really helps.
    >
    > 3) I am keeping careful track of what I eat, and have prepared a neat
    > spreadsheet that looks up carb/fat/protein data to tabulate for me.
    >
    > 4) I am steering clear of diet pop (1 green tea, lipton citrus diet
    > type at lunch is my exception), bars and shakes.
    >
    > 5) I am eating vegetables with every lunch and dinner. Favorites
    > include broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, brussels sprouts, cabbage,
    > lettuce, cucumbers, peppers and onions.
    >
    > I have noticed a pervasive slight headache that gets bad after about 30
    > minutes of exercise. Perhaps I am low in potassium?
    >
    > Results? I have lost 6 pounds in my first week, I am sleeping better
    > and I feel mentally less foggy.

    Great job!

  4. LC Scotty

    LC Scotty Guest

    Thank you. Encouragement is always erm, encouraged.

  5. On 19 Feb 2006 08:16:39 -0800, "PeterProject" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >I tried Low Carb Dieting 3 years ago and loved it. I lost over 35 lbs
    >(my goal) and was able to slowly add carbs back into my diet. A little
    >under a year when I began, I began cheating a little and then gave up
    >on the diet and added the weight back. It was a slow process, but the
    >35 pounds are back. I have tried other diets but had no sucess so I
    >restarted on Low Carb and love it again! The thing I am surprised
    >about, and which leads me to this posting, is: Has anyone else
    >restarted a Low Carb diet and experienced great results? I heard
    >stories that if you have done it once, restarting is very difficult. I
    >have not found this and have seen my Ketostix strips turn deep purple
    >in less than 7 days! Any thoughts?

    I lost about 20 pounds on LC two years ago, and managed to gain it all
    back. You know the routine: death in the family, Christmas,
    all-inclusive vacation, then you just throw your hands up in the air
    and surrender to the pizza. :)

    I started back again last Monday, and have lost 4 pounds in the six
    days. I'm keeping track of everything on FitDay, and I know my carb
    intake isn't quite where it should be (around 30g/day), but I'm not
    eating anything I shouldn't be, and calories seem to be hovering
    around 1,500 to 1,700.

    I'm hoping this weight will be gone by the end of April.

    Jo Anne

  6. Pat in TX

    Pat in TX Guest

    >> I have noticed a pervasive slight headache that gets bad after about 30
    >> minutes of exercise. Perhaps I am low in potassium?

    I always get a headache when I am not properly hydrated. You are exercising
    at the time, so perhaps you need water.

    Pat in TX

  7. DB

    DB Guest

    "Jo Anne Slaven" <[email protected]> wrote in

    > I'm hoping this weight will be gone by the end of April.

    It should just be a question of time, not hope! :)

    This is my second time around in 3 years, and taking the patience approach
    to losing weight!
    Instead of going Gung Ho from the start & burning out, I'm starting a simple
    routine of LC along with a mild walking program.
    By September I should be wearing clothes that fit more comfortable and I
    don't look heavy.

    At 46, I don't need to look like a Bone Rack, just somebody that looks
    happy in a pair of 38's! ;-)

    --
    LC again since 1/14/06
    277/256/220

  8. "LC Scotty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > PeterProject wrote:
    >> I tried Low Carb Dieting 3 years ago and loved it. I lost over 35 lbs
    >> (my goal) and was able to slowly add carbs back into my diet. A little
    >> under a year when I began, I began cheating a little and then gave up
    >> on the diet and added the weight back. It was a slow process, but the
    >> 35 pounds are back. I have tried other diets but had no sucess so I
    >> restarted on Low Carb and love it again! The thing I am surprised
    >> about, and which leads me to this posting, is: Has anyone else
    >> restarted a Low Carb diet and experienced great results? I heard
    >> stories that if you have done it once, restarting is very difficult. I
    >> have not found this and have seen my Ketostix strips turn deep purple
    >> in less than 7 days! Any thoughts?

    > About 4 years ago, I did the low carb thing (Atkins) with exercise and
    > lost a good deal of weight. I dropped 40 pouinds in about 6 months
    > (I'm 5-5 and weighed 260 to start) and loved it. I have since put on
    > all of that weight and more, and have unsuccessfully started low carb
    > numerous times. What has happened is I will get myself into ketosis in
    > about 2 days, stay there for 2 weeks and not lose anything. The
    > diferences are that four years ago I was fairly militant about eating
    > regularly, steering (almost 100%) clear of bars and shakes, drinking
    > 1.5 or more gallons of water per day, and exercising vigorously 3-5
    > times per week. Lately, I have not been so disciplined, and failing to
    > see results after two or three weeks, I cheat and then chuck the whole
    > thing. Even with purple strips, I wasn't losing right out of the gate.
    >
    > To sum up, my failures with restarting LC are entirely my own, but I
    > started again last week. I am correcting all of the problems named
    > above.
    >
    > 1) I am exercising every day- strength training on Tues, Thurs, Sat
    > and aerobic training on the off days. I am using a Total Gym (Chuck
    > Norris!!)
    >
    > 2) I am religiously taking my supplements, including a pre-natal
    > multi, C, calcium, B complex, chromium, and fish oil. The pre-natals
    > have a stool softner, which really helps.
    >
    > 3) I am keeping careful track of what I eat, and have prepared a neat
    > spreadsheet that looks up carb/fat/protein data to tabulate for me.
    >
    > 4) I am steering clear of diet pop (1 green tea, lipton citrus diet
    > type at lunch is my exception), bars and shakes.
    >
    > 5) I am eating vegetables with every lunch and dinner. Favorites
    > include broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, brussels sprouts, cabbage,
    > lettuce, cucumbers, peppers and onions.
    >
    > I have noticed a pervasive slight headache that gets bad after about 30
    > minutes of exercise. Perhaps I am low in potassium?
    >
    > Results? I have lost 6 pounds in my first week, I am sleeping better
    > and I feel mentally less foggy.

    I read that nearly 80% of the people who have successfully kept the weight
    off for 5 years or more report that they attempted weight loss before. So
    don't worry about failure, but lose this time with the commitment to making
    long term and habitual changes. If at first you don't succeed, try again.

  9. On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 11:46:28 -0500, "Joe the Aroma"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I read that nearly 80% of the people who have successfully kept the weight
    >off for 5 years or more report that they attempted weight loss before. So
    >don't worry about failure, but lose this time with the commitment to making
    >long term and habitual changes. If at first you don't succeed, try again.

    Same thing goes with smoking. I'm about 2 1/2 years smoke-free. I
    figure I can do as well with weight loss, one of these days :)

  10. "Jo Anne Slaven" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 11:46:28 -0500, "Joe the Aroma"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>I read that nearly 80% of the people who have successfully kept the weight
    >>off for 5 years or more report that they attempted weight loss before. So
    >>don't worry about failure, but lose this time with the commitment to
    >>making
    >>long term and habitual changes. If at first you don't succeed, try again.

    > Same thing goes with smoking. I'm about 2 1/2 years smoke-free. I
    > figure I can do as well with weight loss, one of these days :)

    De-lurking to say: I totally agree with the above statement. I am smoke free
    for almost 3 years now (April 5), and I started the low-carb life January 1
    of this year, figuring if I can stay smoke free for three years, I can
    surely control what I eat. So far it's working. I'm down 22 lbs and I can
    see me eating this way forever.

    Ms. Jean
    --
    *****************
    We are what we repeatedly do.

  11. "Jo Anne Slaven" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]ax.com...
    > On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 11:46:28 -0500, "Joe the Aroma"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>I read that nearly 80% of the people who have successfully kept the weight
    >>off for 5 years or more report that they attempted weight loss before. So
    >>don't worry about failure, but lose this time with the commitment to
    >>making
    >>long term and habitual changes. If at first you don't succeed, try again.

    > Same thing goes with smoking. I'm about 2 1/2 years smoke-free. I
    > figure I can do as well with weight loss, one of these days :)

    I'm sorry but make no bones about it, staying at a healthy weight is far
    more difficult than quitting smoking. Imagine telling someone that they
    needed to smoke 1 cigarette a day or they'd die and if they smoked more than
    1 a day they'd get fat and die. You can go the rest of your life without
    cigs and I suppose you can go for the rest of your life without food but
    that life would be considerably shortened.

  12. jbuch

    jbuch Guest

    Joe the Aroma wrote:
    > "Jo Anne Slaven" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 11:46:28 -0500, "Joe the Aroma"
    >><[email protected]> wrote:
    >>

    >>>I read that nearly 80% of the people who have successfully kept the weight
    >>>off for 5 years or more report that they attempted weight loss before. So
    >>>don't worry about failure, but lose this time with the commitment to
    >>>making
    >>>long term and habitual changes. If at first you don't succeed, try again.

    >>Same thing goes with smoking. I'm about 2 1/2 years smoke-free. I
    >>figure I can do as well with weight loss, one of these days :)

    > I'm sorry but make no bones about it, staying at a healthy weight is far
    > more difficult than quitting smoking. Imagine telling someone that they
    > needed to smoke 1 cigarette a day or they'd die and if they smoked more than
    > 1 a day they'd get fat and die. You can go the rest of your life without
    > cigs and I suppose you can go for the rest of your life without food but
    > that life would be considerably shortened.

    I think there is a lot of truth to what you say, Joe.

    You can elect to not be around cigarettes, and thus put a modest
    "barrier" between you and the addictive substance.

    You can't elect to not be around food, and you have no modest physical
    "barrier" between you and food. You only have to overconsume healthy
    food, and you eventually gain the weight back.

    I have heard that drug addicts in rehab centers used to claim that
    kicking heroin was much easier than quitting smoking.

    So, establishing and keeping healthy eating habits could be said to be
    harder than kickig heroin AND harder than lifelong ceasing smoking.

    Alcoholics also claim that smoking is harder to kill than drinking. If
    true, then it would appear that establishing healthy eating habits is
    harder than getting off booze, kicking heroin or forever quitting smoking.

    I took a "quit smoking" class from the American Lung Association in
    about 1986. There were 12 people in the class.

    Several folks gave up before the class was finished.

    When the 10 week class ended, there were 3 people who were non-smokers.
    My then boss took the same class I did and he was smoking again before
    the class ended. He got intense headaches from not smoking, but he was
    determined to try again another time.

    After a month, there were just 2 people who were non-smokers.

    After another month, there was just 1 (one) non-smoker.

    I am the non-smoker. I took the class in 1986, so I am 20 years without
    smoking.

    Quitting smoking was easy, I had done it almost a dozen times before.

    Never smoking is initially hard, but after a few years, it appears to
    become a permanent condition.

    It is my hope that after a couple of years, weight control will become a
    permanent condition too.

    What do long term weight loss folks say about their attitude towards the
    condition becomming permanent?

    My Mom lost about 40 or more pounds when I was about eight years old.
    She kept it off for the rest of her mentally active life (till about 70
    years old) and gained very little in the 10 years she lived in a nursing
    home.

    Maybe it rubs off.

    --
    1) Eat Till SATISFIED, Not STUFFED... Atkins repeated 9 times in the book
    2) Exercise: It's Non-Negotiable..... Chapter 22 title, Atkins book