Restarting Cycling After Ilness

DeREk Clark

Aug 8, 2013
Hello all ,
Ive been of my bike for about 5 months after a tumour in my neck. would like to know if anyone has advice on training/website to start road cycling again. i'm no racing snake but want to get back into road cycling again without hurting myself before my illness i was covering about 200km a week with 2 short rides and a longer ride on the weekends. any help advice would be great. i will be speaking with my Doctor/physio next week as well

I think you might be best off talking to a medical doctor with a background in sports medicine. And perhaps also a physio. I've never had a tumor in the neck area and wouldn't know what to tell you.

Bob

Start with short distances as you monitor your body reactions. You must consult your doctor first so that he is aware also. If you feel uncomfortable then you should stop and wait until you heal completely.

Unfortunately, I don't think anyone here can give you medical advice unless anyone here is in the medical field. My educated guess is that a doctor will probably tell you to start off slow and then gradually progress to where you were before you became ill.

I've been in this situation multiple times and the best advice anyone can give you is to start slow. Imagine having to wait another 6 months because you were too enthusiastic the first day, happened to a friend of mine. If your athletic condition has declined significantly I'd recommend starting with walking or jogging every day just to get back into the swing of things.

You need to start slow and progress gradually. You will be back in shape in no time so there is no need to rush things.

I was active in cycling when I was hospitalized for ovarian cyst. I had undergone surgery to clean up the mess caused by a burst cyst. After 2 weeks of recovery, I went back to work as if nothing happened. But I was advised by the doctor not to use my bike for a time. A month maybe? Not really to restrict me but just to drive home the point, my husband padlocked my bike in storage area - the far corner of our dining room. That way, I would see the bike whenever we eat. It's a good thing that I had resisted the urge to go on cycling. From what I remember, I stopped using my bike for almost a year after the said operation.

That's a difficult thing to do. I think that after you're ill you might not be so used to cycling, you would take a little more time and practise to actually get there, trust me. My girlfriend is quite ill most of the time and it is very difficult for her to cycle when she's feeling well.

I think to start slow is a good idea. I would not go out hard like you were when you left cycling. This might be a little much. I think you need to build your endurance.

You shouldn't be cycling so often and so fast like you did before, do it slowly to not risk your own health.
Also you should talk to your doctor about even going back to cycling and ask for his/her opinion.

The thing that you will find the most difficult is the fact that your fitness will have dropped a fair bit, and chances are you won't be able to ride anywhere near as well as you may have been able to before your illness. So, for this reason, you need to understand that building it up slowly is the only way to go forward. Start by simply getting on your bike and riding short distances to get a feel for it. Once you have done this you can start to improve the distance and then in turn the speed, and you should find that eventually you are able to get back out there and ride competitively again. I wish you the best of luck, and it is great news that you have recovered from your illness.

Hey, great point about taking it slow and steady when building up fitness after an illness. When it comes to aerodynamics, remember that even small improvements can make a big difference in speed and efficiency. Try focusing on your body position and clothing choices to start. A snug-fitting jersey and form-fitting shorts can significantly reduce wind resistance. And don't forget about your bike - deep-rim wheels and aero bars can also help you slice through the air. Happy cycling! :)