Restaurant Rules

"[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote
in news:[email protected]:

> These rules are rather amusing and probably true.
> http://blogs.smh.com.au/entertainment/archives/the_tribal_mind/003016.h
> tml John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

Two observations I've seen.

1. After years of tablecloths and then a recent switch to paper placemats
is not a good sign, or is it?

2. As a dishwasher and as God is my witness I've seen a waiter after
clearing a table, return to the kitchen and take a huge bite out of a
barely eaten rack of lamb before dumping the plate in the "clean me" bin.

Andy

>2. As a dishwasher and as God is my witness I've seen a waiter after
>clearing a table, return to the kitchen and take a huge bite out of a
>barely eaten rack of lamb before dumping the plate in the "clean me" bin.

>Andy

Considering the fact that most restaurant patrons, (particularly those
serving racks of lamb) use a fork and knife to eat it- what's the big
deal?

Beats throwing a perfectly good piece of lamb in the trash. Kev

"kevnbro" <[email protected]> wrote in news:1137682407.879868.125730
@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

>>2. As a dishwasher and as God is my witness I've seen a waiter after
>>clearing a table, return to the kitchen and take a huge bite out of a
>>barely eaten rack of lamb before dumping the plate in the "clean me"

bin.

>>Andy

> Considering the fact that most restaurant patrons, (particularly those
> serving racks of lamb) use a fork and knife to eat it- what's the big
> deal?

I suppose so but to see a waiter in a tuxedo grabbing the rack in his
fist and chomping off a huge chunk into his fat face just bothered me.

Andy

>I suppose so but to see a waiter in a tuxedo grabbing the rack in his
>fist and chomping off a huge chunk into his fat face just bothered me.

>Andy

I think Andy you were just angry that you were washing dishes and he
was eating lambchops. ;) kev

"Andy" <q> wrote

> "kevnbro" <[email protected]> wrote

>>>2. As a dishwasher and as God is my witness I've seen a waiter after
>>>clearing a table, return to the kitchen and take a huge bite out of a
>>>barely eaten rack of lamb before dumping the plate in the "clean me"

> bin.

>> Considering the fact that most restaurant patrons, (particularly those
>> serving racks of lamb) use a fork and knife to eat it- what's the big
>> deal?

> I suppose so but to see a waiter in a tuxedo grabbing the rack in his
> fist and chomping off a huge chunk into his fat face just bothered me.
>
> Andy

Andy wins on ick factor, hands down.

nancy

"kevnbro" <[email protected]> wrote in news:1137683679.117149.175040
@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

>>I suppose so but to see a waiter in a tuxedo grabbing the rack in his
>>fist and chomping off a huge chunk into his fat face just bothered me.

>>Andy

> I think Andy you were just angry that you were washing dishes and he
> was eating lambchops. ;) kev

I was a happy dishwasher. The entire staff would get served a special
(not on the menu) dinner prepared by the chefs before we opened. We all
sat around a large round table and had beer or wine with our meal. Then
we went to work. Occassionally I'd have to fill pitchers of beer for the
chefs. Occassionally I'd earn a glass during dishwashing.

It was a posh gourmet french restaurant and only opened for dinners on
Saturday and Sunday.

I don't know if any of those rules are observed at other restaurants.

Andy

"Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote in news:dqoamp$80b$1
@news.monmouth.com:

> "Andy" <q> wrote
>
>> "kevnbro" <[email protected]> wrote

>> bin.

>>> Considering the fact that most restaurant patrons, (particularly

those
>>> serving racks of lamb) use a fork and knife to eat it- what's the big
>>> deal?

>> I suppose so but to see a waiter in a tuxedo grabbing the rack in his
>> fist and chomping off a huge chunk into his fat face just bothered me.
>>
>> Andy

> Andy wins on ick factor, hands down.
>
> nancy

nancy,

It was gross. But back on topic, does this happen in other restaurants? I
guess... probably.

Andy

Andy wrote:
> "Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote in news:dqoamp$80b$1
> @news.monmouth.com:
>

>>"Andy" <q> wrote
>>

>>>"kevnbro" <[email protected]> wrote

>>>bin.

> those

>>>I suppose so but to see a waiter in a tuxedo grabbing the rack in his
>>>fist and chomping off a huge chunk into his fat face just bothered me.
>>>
>>>Andy

>>Andy wins on ick factor, hands down.
>>
>>nancy

> nancy,
>
> It was gross. But back on topic, does this happen in other restaurants? I
> guess... probably.
>
> Andy

Sure it happens in other restraunts - I was a waitress for years and saw
more than one person eat food off of a customers plate :p Sorta made me
feel sick to see it lol

Roberta (in VA)

Nancy Young wrote:
> "Andy" <q> wrote
> > I suppose so but to see a waiter in a tuxedo grabbing the rack in his
> > fist and chomping off a huge chunk into his fat face just bothered me.

> Andy wins on ick factor, hands down.

Think of the dude out back who digs it out of the dumpster 6 hours
later...

--Blair

On 19 Jan 2006 14:20:42 -0800, "Blair P. Houghton"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Nancy Young wrote:
>> "Andy" <q> wrote
>> > I suppose so but to see a waiter in a tuxedo grabbing the rack in his
>> > fist and chomping off a huge chunk into his fat face just bothered me.

>> Andy wins on ick factor, hands down.

>Think of the dude out back who digs it out of the dumpster 6 hours
>later...

Very sad. I used to buy extra food for lunch, then give it to a
street person. It's tragic to see someon digging through trash
looking for dinner.

Carol

> >Think of the dude out back who digs it out of the dumpster 6 hours
> >later...

> Very sad. I used to buy extra food for lunch, then give it to a
> street person. It's tragic to see someon digging through trash
> looking for dinner.
>
> Carol

Carol,

Last time I was at a Chinese restaurant, a street person came up and
asked for money because he was hungry. We said no. As he was walking
away, I asked the person I was with if they were going to being eating
the leftovers. They said no. I called to the guy and asked him if he
was actually hungry. He said yes, and he got all of the leftovers.
(He seemed truly thankful.) Because it was a Chinese place, the
leftovers were from the serving plates, not our individual plates, so
the food was untouched by us.

Seemed to be the right thing to do.

Ken

"Ken" <[email protected]> wrote

> was actually hungry. He said yes, and he got all of the leftovers.
> (He seemed truly thankful.) Because it was a Chinese place, the
> leftovers were from the serving plates, not our individual plates, so
> the food was untouched by us.
>
> Seemed to be the right thing to do.

It kinda haunts me a little, one time I walked out of the
Stage Deli, I think it was, I left half a sandwich untouched
on my plate. Homeless guy sitting outside, looked like he
coulda used it. Don't get me wrong, I know why he chose
that corner, everyone has leftovers there I'd think, but too
bad that awesome brisket on rye didn't go to better use.

In case anyone out there thinks, wow, what a nice person,
she'd give the guy half a sandwich ... those sandwiches are
enormous. I can't eat more than half if I tried like hell.
Huge.

nancy

> In case anyone out there thinks, wow, what a nice person,
> she'd give the guy half a sandwich ... those sandwiches are
> enormous. I can't eat more than half if I tried like hell.
> Huge.
>
> nancy

Nancy,

Years ago, when I was doing a big consulting job in Pasadena, I went to
the nearest market to get groceries. A guy hit me up for money on the
way in. Sorry, I didn't need my money going into his arm or to the
nearest liquor store. So in the market, I buy some extra fruit, bag it
separately, and give it to him on the way out of the store. He turned
it down, refused it, wouldn't take it. He was nice about it and did
say thanks for the thought. I'd forgotten all about that until this
thread reminded me.

I have to say that 95% of the time, the homeless people act like I gave
them the Hope Diamond when I've bought them a hamburger or whatever.

Ken

On 19 Jan 2006 19:37:12 -0800, "Ken" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Years ago, when I was doing a big consulting job in Pasadena, I went to
>the nearest market to get groceries. A guy hit me up for money on the
>way in. Sorry, I didn't need my money going into his arm or to the
>nearest liquor store. So in the market, I buy some extra fruit, bag it
>separately, and give it to him on the way out of the store. He turned
>it down, refused it, wouldn't take it. He was nice about it and did
>say thanks for the thought. I'd forgotten all about that until this
>thread reminded me.
>
>I have to say that 95% of the time, the homeless people act like I gave
>them the Hope Diamond when I've bought them a hamburger or whatever.

If you live in an area with homeless people panhandling for their next
meal, fix, or drink, it's a nice idea to carry books of food
certificate books, like from McDonald's, etc. They can use it for
food.

Carol

"Damsel in dis Dress" <[email protected]> wrote

> On 19 Jan 2006 19:37:12 -0800, "Ken" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>>Years ago, when I was doing a big consulting job in Pasadena, I went to
>>the nearest market to get groceries. A guy hit me up for money on the
>>way in. Sorry, I didn't need my money going into his arm or to the
>>nearest liquor store.

>>I have to say that 95% of the time, the homeless people act like I gave
>>them the Hope Diamond when I've bought them a hamburger or whatever.

> If you live in an area with homeless people panhandling for their next
> meal, fix, or drink, it's a nice idea to carry books of food
> certificate books, like from McDonald's, etc. They can use it for
> food.

Good idea. Yeah, I don't mind giving someone a meal, but I
don't want anything to do with them buying drugs/whatever got them
in that predicament to start with. That's no help.

nancy

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> Very sad. I used to buy extra food for lunch, then give it to a
> street person. It's tragic to see someon digging through trash
> looking for dinner.

Here in Wenatchee, we have a great men's shelter and mission -- Hospitality
House. Anyone -- not just the residents -- can get a free meal at
breakfast, lunch, and dinner. My store sends Hospitality House all of our
meat that is left over at the end of the day -- we don't reheat anything. We
are one of the few sources of donated meats that they have. Most other
stores will send produce and dairy, but there is a lack of meat in the
donations.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 23:23:25 -0500, "Nancy Young"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"Damsel in dis Dress" <[email protected]> wrote
>
>> If you live in an area with homeless people panhandling for their next
>> meal, fix, or drink, it's a nice idea to carry books of food
>> certificate books, like from McDonald's, etc. They can use it for
>> food.

>Good idea. Yeah, I don't mind giving someone a meal, but I
>don't want anything to do with them buying drugs/whatever got them
>in that predicament to start with. That's no help.

From what I understand, a large percentage of homeless people are
there because of mental illness. Especially with the more severe
illnesses, people tend not to want to take their medication, so they
become unable to function normally in society.

Carol

"Ken" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

>> >Think of the dude out back who digs it out of the dumpster 6 hours
>> >later...

>> Very sad. I used to buy extra food for lunch, then give it to a
>> street person. It's tragic to see someon digging through trash
>> looking for dinner.
>>
>> Carol

> Carol,
>
> Last time I was at a Chinese restaurant, a street person came up and
> asked for money because he was hungry. We said no. As he was walking
> away, I asked the person I was with if they were going to being eating
> the leftovers. They said no. I called to the guy and asked him if he
> was actually hungry. He said yes, and he got all of the leftovers.
> (He seemed truly thankful.) Because it was a Chinese place, the
> leftovers were from the serving plates, not our individual plates, so
> the food was untouched by us.
>
> Seemed to be the right thing to do.
>
> Ken

I've done this in Pioneer Square, Seattle, where there used to be plenty of
street persons around the restaurants. Talk about being thankful! I've
heard the Seattle people tried or have removed them from this area; I wonder
where they are eating now.
Dee Dee