Restaurant Rules

Dee Dee wrote:

>Perhaps he spiked your tea so he could
> have a taste later?

Unlikely, as I suspect more customers order margaritas than iced tea at
his particular restaurant, regardless of the time of day.

>But I think one could tell.

Probably, but I'm no expert in these matters. :)

I didn't notice any adverse effects, other than eating too fast, and
consequently, too much. I'm better off skipping a meal, than trying to
eat too fast.

Elaine

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 06:41:26 GMT, sarah bennett
<[email protected]> rummaged among random neurons and opined:

>which is about 7 bucks an hour for a full time job. ($13880)
>
>minimum wage is 5.15
>
>this makes sense how?

To a Republican it means "trickle down economics" is just that at the
bottom: a trickle.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

-- Duncan Hines

Dave Smith wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
> > > I believe that Sheldon specifically mentioned that there were resources for the
> > > homeless, like welfare, but that some people choose not to partake.

> > And that many partake, and partake, and partake... from cradle to
> > grave.

> Even longer..... there are some welfare families that have been on it for
> generations. They have homes and food on the table. It's not what I would want to do
> with my life, but you don't have to live on the streets.

1. Welfare isn't enough to provide "homes and food on the table". And
since Bill Clinton's efforts in the 1990s, it's not possible to remain
on it for long without working.

2. It was never a tradition in anyone's family, and nobody ever
treated it as such.

--Blair

sarah bennett wrote:
> Blair P. Houghton wrote:
> > (a list of poverty lines that vary according to family size). For
> > example, for a family of 4, the poverty line for 1999 (based on annual
> > income) is $16,700, while for a family of 3 is $13,880.

> which is about 7 bucks an hour for a full time job. ($13880)
>
> minimum wage is 5.15
>
> this makes sense how?

The penurious pricks in Washington who share Sheldon's inhumane disdain
for those subjugated by a rich-folks-first government distribution
system believe that both parents should work full-time for their
sweatshop wage, or they're just not worthy of being considered human
beings.

--Blair

Dave Smith wrote:
> "Blair P. Houghton" wrote:
>
> > Sheldon wrote:
> > > resistance. The system is broken when it encourages people to not do
> > > anything to help themselves.

> > Here, buffoon-boy.
> >
> > Now. You go prove that everyone who /wants/ to get out of poverty,
> > /can/ get out of poverty. No rhetoric. Facts. And the words
> > "everyone" and "wants" are not negotiable.

> That is a far stretch from his comment about the homeless not availing
> themselves of the services provided. He acknowledged that welfare is not a
> perfect system, but there is one in place, and many of the homeless choose not
> to go on welfare.

No. Sheldon insisted that anyone who didn't want to be poor could get
out of poverty.

This is utterly false, and he knows it, and he refuses to admit it, and
you probably do too.

--Blair

Blair P. Houghton wrote:
> sarah bennett wrote:
>
>>Blair P. Houghton wrote:
>>
>>>(a list of poverty lines that vary according to family size). For
>>>example, for a family of 4, the poverty line for 1999 (based on annual
>>>income) is $16,700, while for a family of 3 is $13,880.

>>which is about 7 bucks an hour for a full time job. ($13880)
>>
>>minimum wage is 5.15
>>
>>this makes sense how?

> The penurious pricks in Washington who share Sheldon's inhumane disdain
> for those subjugated by a rich-folks-first government distribution
> system believe that both parents should work full-time for their
> sweatshop wage, or they're just not worthy of being considered human
> beings.
>
> --Blair

notice that after taxes, one parent would be working practically for
free, were they to need childcare in order to have both parents working.

--

saerah

http://anisaerah.blogspot.com/

-Baruch Spinoza

-Douglas Adams

On 22 Jan 2006 20:06:32 -0800, Blair P. Houghton wrote:

>No. Sheldon insisted that anyone who didn't want to be poor could get
>out of poverty.
>
>This is utterly false, and he knows it, and he refuses to admit it, and
>you probably do too.
>
>--Blair

Could you state the reasons that, you think, this is "utterly false"?

Pan Ohco
I would like to see the bottom of my monitor, but I have cats.

"Blair P. Houghton" wrote:

> > Even longer..... there are some welfare families that have been on it for
> > generations. They have homes and food on the table. It's not what I would want to do
> > with my life, but you don't have to live on the streets.

> 1. Welfare isn't enough to provide "homes and food on the table". And
> since Bill Clinton's efforts in the 1990s, it's not possible to remain
> on it for long without working.

It depends on how well they learn to milk the system. I knew a family that was on welfare.
They lived in a relatively new house, had two cars, everyone in the family had their own
computer and the best internet service available at the time. About 10 years ago my house
was broken into, but the kids were caught. The kid who was driving the getaway car came
from a welfare family. He was 17 and had his own car.

> 2. It was never a tradition in anyone's family, and nobody ever
> treated it as such.

********. While some like to think of it as a social safety net, a short time relief
system for people who find themselves in dire straits, the fact is that there are (too)
many families for whom it has become a way of life from one generation from the next.
Sure, there are lots of people out there who find themselves in need of assistance for a
while and then get back on their feet, but there are lots of others who live on welfare
from cradle to grave, just like their parents did.

"Blair P. Houghton" wrote:

> > That is a far stretch from his comment about the homeless not availing
> > themselves of the services provided. He acknowledged that welfare is not a
> > perfect system, but there is one in place, and many of the homeless choose not
> > to go on welfare.

> No. Sheldon insisted that anyone who didn't want to be poor could get
> out of poverty.
>
> This is utterly false, and he knows it, and he refuses to admit it, and
> you probably do too.

I do?
I don't doubt that there are lots of people who are doomed to live in poverty
because they are too stupid or too damned lazy to try to make something of their
lives. I do not believe that everyone who is born into poverty is doomed to stay
there. Those that are born into rich families will definitely have a better chance
of financial success. My father grew up in a poor family and became successful. My
father in law was also raised in a family where money was tight and became a very
successful businessman. A good friend of mine put himself through medical school
because his family was too poor to help him out. All of them learned a good work
ethic when they were young.

"Dave Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Blair P. Houghton" wrote:
>
>> > Even longer..... there are some welfare families that have been on it
>> > for
>> > generations. They have homes and food on the table. It's not what I
>> > would want to do
>> > with my life, but you don't have to live on the streets.

>> 1. Welfare isn't enough to provide "homes and food on the table". And
>> since Bill Clinton's efforts in the 1990s, it's not possible to remain
>> on it for long without working.

> It depends on how well they learn to milk the system. I knew a family that
> was on welfare.
> They lived in a relatively new house, had two cars, everyone in the family
> had their own
> computer and the best internet service available at the time. About 10
> years ago my house
> was broken into, but the kids were caught. The kid who was driving the
> getaway car came
> from a welfare family. He was 17 and had his own car.
>
>> 2. It was never a tradition in anyone's family, and nobody ever
>> treated it as such.

> ********. While some like to think of it as a social safety net, a short
> time relief
> system for people who find themselves in dire straits, the fact is that
> there are (too)
> many families for whom it has become a way of life from one generation
> from the next.
> Sure, there are lots of people out there who find themselves in need of
> assistance for a
> while and then get back on their feet, but there are lots of others who
> live on welfare
> from cradle to grave, just like their parents did.

Got any evidence for that claim? Real evidence, not recycled Regan-era
republical campaign ads.

--
Peter Aitken

"Dave Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Blair P. Houghton" wrote:
>

> > > That is a far stretch from his comment about the homeless not

availing
> > > themselves of the services provided. He acknowledged that welfare is

not a
> > > perfect system, but there is one in place, and many of the homeless

choose not
> > > to go on welfare.

> > No. Sheldon insisted that anyone who didn't want to be poor could get
> > out of poverty.
> >
> > This is utterly false, and he knows it, and he refuses to admit it, and
> > you probably do too.

> I do?
> I don't doubt that there are lots of people who are doomed to live in

poverty
> because they are too stupid or too damned lazy to try to make something of

their
> lives. I do not believe that everyone who is born into poverty is doomed

to stay
> there. Those that are born into rich families will definitely have a

better chance
> of financial success. My father grew up in a poor family and became

successful. My
> father in law was also raised in a family where money was tight and became

a very
> successful businessman. A good friend of mine put himself through medical

school
> because his family was too poor to help him out. All of them learned a

good work
> ethic when they were young.

and where do the physically disabled folks fit into this scenario? Those
who have struggled paycheck to paycheck, only to be devasted when they
became unemployable, or even those who had savings, and watched them dwindle
to pay medical bills? Or the people who have been disabled since
childhood/birth? What about folks with mental illnesses?

seems there are a lot of people who don't fit into a nice lil mold.
--
lampy

The fellowship of those who bear the Mark of Pain.
Who are the members of this Fellowship?
Those who have learned by experience what physical pain
and bodily anguish mean, belong together all the world over;
they are united by a secret bond.
Albert Schweitzer

Peter Aitken wrote:

> >> 2. It was never a tradition in anyone's family, and nobody ever
> >> treated it as such.

> > ********. While some like to think of it as a social safety net, a short
> > time relief
> > system for people who find themselves in dire straits, the fact is that
> > there are (too)
> > many families for whom it has become a way of life from one generation
> > from the next.
> > Sure, there are lots of people out there who find themselves in need of
> > assistance for a
> > while and then get back on their feet, but there are lots of others who
> > live on welfare
> > from cradle to grave, just like their parents did.
> >

> Got any evidence for that claim? Real evidence, not recycled Regan-era
> republical campaign ads.

Evidence? I have seen them. If you think evidence is so important feel free to
find me a source that says there is no such thing as a multi generation welfare
family.

lightlady wrote:

> and where do the physically disabled folks fit into this scenario? Those
> who have struggled paycheck to paycheck, only to be devasted when they
> became unemployable, or even those who had savings, and watched them dwindle
> to pay medical bills? Or the people who have been disabled since
> childhood/birth? What about folks with mental illnesses?
>
> seems there are a lot of people who don't fit into a nice lil mold.

Talk about "fit".

Had you been capable of following the bouncing ball you would have read
(and possibly comprehended) where I posted: "the _fit_ need to get off
their lazy butts and
work"... never once even implied that those who are incapable should be
swept aside. Ya know, there are remedial reading programs available
for those pinheads who are handicapped like you.

Sheldon

lightlady wrote:

> > poor family and became

> successful. My
> > father in law was also raised in a family where money was tight and became

> a very
> > successful businessman. A good friend of mine put himself through medical

> school
> > because his family was too poor to help him out. All of them learned a

> good work
> > ethic when they were young.
> >

> and where do the physically disabled folks fit into this scenario? Those
> who have struggled paycheck to paycheck, only to be devasted when they
> became unemployable, or even those who had savings, and watched them dwindle
> to pay medical bills? Or the people who have been disabled since
> childhood/birth? What about folks with mental illnesses?
>
> seems there are a lot of people who don't fit into a nice lil mold.

What mold is that? The thread has digressed, but in my earliest post I referred
to the homeless and agreed with Sheldon that some of them opt not to avail
themselves of the services available. There is a difference between welfare and
disability pensions. I suppose that we could quibble over whether or not
someone is entitled to a full disability pension because they can no longer
perform their old job when there are other things they can still do. Suppose it
is a highly trained technician who has suffered a physical or mental condition
that prevents him or her from doing their old job. Should they be expected to
flip burgers?

As I posted in another message, I support our social safety net. I live in a
country that has a government run health care system so that I am not going to
be bankrupted by medical bills. I support that concept politically and through
the taxes I pay. I have no major issue with financial support for those who need
it. I have no sympathy for people who prefer to make a life of living on welfare
because they are too lazy too work, and I do not support a system that makes
welfare a viable alternative to working.

Pan Ohco wrote:
> On 22 Jan 2006 20:06:32 -0800, Blair P. Houghton wrote:
>

>>No. Sheldon insisted that anyone who didn't want to be poor could get
>>out of poverty.
>>
>>This is utterly false, and he knows it, and he refuses to admit it, and
>>you probably do too.
>>
>>--Blair

> Could you state the reasons that, you think, this is "utterly false"?

the "anyone" part is false. If one does not have a college degree, or
other specialized training, making over 7 dollars an hour is damn near
impossible. (At least in states where the minimum wage is the same as
the federal mandate)

--

saerah

http://anisaerah.blogspot.com/

-Baruch Spinoza

-Douglas Adams

In article <[email protected]>,
Dave Smith <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Blair P. Houghton" wrote:

> > No. Sheldon insisted that anyone who didn't want to be poor could get
> > out of poverty.
> >
> > This is utterly false, and he knows it, and he refuses to admit it, and
> > you probably do too.

> I do?
> I don't doubt that there are lots of people who are doomed to live in poverty
> because they are too stupid

Despite the example of the President of the US, most people who are
"stupid" (meaning a lack of intelligence) have difficulty pulling
themselves out of poverty, depending of course on just how stupid they
are. If they lack the intelligence to get dressed and find their
workplace, they probably won't have much of a job, if any.

--
Dan Abel
[email protected]

Sheldon wrote:
> Had you been capable of following the bouncing ball you would have read
> (and possibly comprehended) where I posted: "the _fit_ need to get off
> their lazy butts and
> work"... never once even implied that those who are incapable should be
> swept aside. Ya know, there are remedial reading programs available
> for those pinheads who are handicapped like you.

You're a total moron. Plenty of fit people work two jobs and STAY in
poverty.

--Blair

Dave Smith wrote:
> It depends on how well they learn to milk the system. I knew a family that was on welfare.
> They lived in a relatively new house, had two cars, everyone in the family had their own
> computer and the best internet service available at the time. About 10 years ago my house
> was broken into, but the kids were caught. The kid who was driving the getaway car came
> from a welfare family. He was 17 and had his own car.

And I know a leprechaun that gives you three wishes if you let him go.

See how easy it is to make things up?

--Bliar

sarah bennett wrote:
> Blair P. Houghton wrote:
> > sarah bennett wrote:
> >

>Blair P. Houghton wrote:
> >>which is about 7 bucks an hour for a full time job. ($13880)
> >>minimum wage is 5.15
> >>this makes sense how?

> > The penurious pricks in Washington who share Sheldon's inhumane disdain
> > for those subjugated by a rich-folks-first government distribution
> > system believe that both parents should work full-time for their
> > sweatshop wage, or they're just not worthy of being considered human
> > beings.

> notice that after taxes, one parent would be working practically for
> free, were they to need childcare in order to have both parents working.

They won't pay taxes. They will likely have an effective negative tax
rate. But how is giving them a few hundred bucks a year going to make
up for the hundreds of thousands in graft given to right-wing criminal
congressmen to keep them in poverty?

--Blair